Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Indoor/Outdoor Rug in Teen Room or FLOR squares?

Valerie Noronha
14 years ago

I'm looking for a rug for my 16-year-old son's room. I mostly want it to protect the hardwood floors as we have some heavy pull-out drawers below his bed that are starting to scratch the floor when they are moved. For this reason, plus the fact that he uses a rolling desk chair, I've been focusing on flatweave rugs. We had a woven rug before but it used to get bunched up which he didn't like.

I found an indoor/outdoor rug that I think might work and he likes it. I'm concerned though that it may look odd in his bedroom and perhaps it's really meant for outdoors.

Before I place the order I wanted to get some feedback if this could work in a bedroom.

Other option I am consider is getting some of those FLOR squares like you see in offices sometimes and building his rug from that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor/Outdoor Rug

Comments (12)

• rockmanor
    14 years ago

I think that the I/O rug you chose looks very nice. The one thing that would cause me to choose the FLOR squares intead is the ability to easily replace one square if there's a stain that won't wash out. You might be able to create a similar patten to that rug with two solid color carpet tiles, and I think FLOR even does a border tile now. If your ds & his friends don't eat/drink in his room, then stains may not be a big issue.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rockmanor: Thank you for your reply. I agree being able to swap out the squares with FLOR as well as the very low pile is what attracts me to that option. I did some more looking at the indoor/outdoor rugs over on overstock.com and read some comments from others who've used them indoors which reassures me on that point then got a 20% off coupon in mail today from RusgsUSA so I decided to give it a shot. I'm hoping the pattern is busy enough it won't show the dirt/stains.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I like the rug you picked out and think it would look great in a boy's bedroom, I don't think it says "outdoor rug" at all. (Did you see the "Organic Blocks" rug? I think that one's pretty sharp and very masculine.) Polypropylene is very practical because it's very difficult to stain and you can just haul it out on the deck or driveway and hose it down to clean, there's no fussing, and it's usually nice and soft underfoot. Most of the rugs I've had were polypro because of pets and my own clumsiness (I spill things a lot), it's only recently that I have had wool and that's primarily because I found a couple of wool rugs I liked very cheap at Home Decorators Collection outlet!

We used carpet tiles in our previous house (DH was adamant about having carpet in the bedroom and with a middle-aged cat and a dog modular carpeting was the only thing I would consider!) and I found the FLOR tiles to be pretty hard and uncomfortable, like office carpet, and many of the styles were very scratchy even though they were described as soft in the catalog - make sure you get samples. I ended up choosing Milliken's carpet tiles which are more like conventional carpet in feel. Although they're not on the website, Lowes has a few FLOR styles, including some exclusives; I don't know if they're actually FLOR brand but Target has some similar carpet tiles at a pretty decent price.

Another option is replacing the casters on the roll-out drawers and desk chair with soft rubber or polyurethane ones that do not damage wood floors. Check out Caster City, Gary's Upholstery Supply, CoolCasters, Rockler.com, just for starters.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I see that the OP has already ordered something else, but just wanted to say that my teenage son has FLOR tiles in his room and they're terrific. His rolling chair rolls over them easily and they stay put on the floor, which is one reason I love them. And he had difficult colors in his room to match (has "map" wallpaper in light teal and taupey colors) -- I was able to find the perfect two colors for a checkerboard pattern for his room. I agree that samples are a must for FLOR, both for texture and for color.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

johnmari: Appreciate the feedback on the outdoor rug. I saw that other one as well, but my DS liked this one better. I don't really care too much as long as it covers the floor, doesn't show the dirt and the wheels can roll around. He'll be heading off to college in another 1-1/2 years so inexpensive is good too! Knowing I can just haul it outdoors and hose it off is another definite plus!

sueb20: Glad to hear you like your FLOR tiles. I had been debating that option for awhile when I spied the rug and I confess I choose the easier (and cheaper I think) option. If this rug does not work out as planned, it's good to know the FLOR tiles will be another option for us--esp. as I have two girls as well and need to figure out something for at least one of them--after the holidays though as we are planning an update to my 8-year-olds room which will include a new rug as well. I do think I may go that route as she has a trundle bed and right now it's a hassle to get the wheels up over the rug and then the rug gets all scrunched up. How do you clean the FLOR tiles? Do they apply directly to the floor? They don't damage the floor at all do they with the stickers to attach the squares?

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

"How do you clean the FLOR tiles?"
    You lift up a square and run it under the kitchen faucet. Or don't lift it up and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Rarely do I find that I need to use detergent.

"Do they apply directly to the floor? They don't damage the floor at all do they with the stickers to attach the squares?"
    Correct, modern FLOR tiles attach to one another and don't affect the floor at all. I was skeptical, but it is really true.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The FLOR tiles do sound like a good option for kids rooms. My DD's carpet is so dirty right now--not a big deal as it was an inexpensive one from Target.

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

The key downside of FLOR for kids rooms is that they are not squishy, hang out on the floor rugs. They add some softness, color, and sound insulation, but that's it. The nap is very, very short, which makes FLOR a breeze to vacuum and clean--but the feel will be disappointing to some. We have FLOR in our LR and I like them, but guess that most people would rather something else.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I sound like a FLOR rep now, but I also have them in my 8 y.o. DD's room, replaced a pretty soft PB Kids rug with them, and even though she plays in her room frequently, she's had no complaints. Her room is black & white and pink, and I got the lacy/floral b&W FLOR tiles and they look great. This was maybe two years ago and I've never had to clean them with anything but a vacuum. They still look as good as new. My son has had them even longer and I can say the same, they look good as new. I also had a couple by my back door, and they didn't hold up quite so well, but that's a very heavy traffic area and I did not use the tiles rated for "heavy traffic." I don't think they're ideal for every location -- wouldn't use them in my traditional living room or dining room -- but they are fantastic for certain applications.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

FLOR is all new to me. I just went to the website based on this thread. WOW! Interesting product!

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

Here is FLOR in our moderately heavily used LR. We wanted a light, modern carpet, but knew that an ordinary one could look worse for the wear quickly. After band practise (yes, in this room), I sometimes take a microfiber cloth and wipe the floor tiles. Otherwise, the stuff holds up really well and vacuums easily. We have a box of spare carpet tiles under one of the chair, but haven't had to use them yet.