Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_73875209

Dining room update

HU-73875209
10 days ago

I would like to get a new light fixture but no idea what to get. Im also wondering about maybe a different color for the curtains? New curtain rods? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

Comments (23)

• Lyn Nielson
    10 days ago

you've got a lot tucked into that dining room space.

I would start by removing the drapery panels and rods, and all the pieces.

Start with the table and chairs. put back only what you need for the space to function for dining. Not just storage. Is the table placed in the best position?

the arch top unit should be against the wall

Do you need privacy? light control? the pictures are a bit high,

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

1. The large arched cabinet doesn't work in the room. The cabinet should not be placed on the diagonal. It appears too large for the room. Find a new placement for it in the room or remove it.

2. I agree your room requires a new fixture. Please note the terrible quality of the light those exposed bulbs create in the room. They are too bright and too cool in color.

A linear chandelier might be a good direction for this room.

• HU-73875209
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you both, great suggestions! I think when you live with and look at things for so long you just dont see whats not working

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

I'd get curtains to match the chairs. Your buffet seems nearly empty. Could you place all of your china and glassware there and eliminate the china cabinet? Remove the small corner shelves with baskets. I'd get more streamlined, sophiticated curtain rods. Your table is gorgeous and your plant is wonderful. Nice space.

I like Bevery's first chandelier. Incorporates black of buffet, white of chairs, and I prefer circular rather than liner light over this table. The room already has so many straight lines on the wall. I think a circular fixture could help.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

I love green, but I doubt you want people to look like a fish on a plate when dining? ): )

The wainscoting color is a tad cringe worthy, sorry to say.

What's the feel you want in here ? The rug appears to be either navy/cram or black /cream.

The chairs are a nice brightener, but the black cabinet has to go! far too claustrophobic!

The curtain panels aren't working, yes to a different rod, and more fullness and pleats to ANY panels! You don't want them looking like stringy drapes.

What do the OTHER spaces in your home look like. Give us some context, the kitchen, the living room? Please?

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

I also suggest painting the wainscot like Jan said. That is not a good color green. If there is blue in the rug, paint the wainscot white with blue on top.

Traditional Dining Room · More Info

• marmiegard_z7b
    10 days ago

Beverly, who makes those linear chandeliers with shades, that are longer like your first picture?

• Paul F.
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

• HU-73875209
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Jan,Kandrewspa, thank you for your honest opinion and Paul, thanks so much for the image

• salonva
    10 days ago

I love the one Paul pasted in the image- when I looked it up it is Hinkley 4468 which seems to come up discontinued. Bummer

• housegal200
    10 days ago

Paul and Beverly's rectangular light fixtures with white shades and black metal finishes are great. A couple thoughts about how to improve the room:

--Lose the big dark china piece as suggested and put your dishes inside the glass sideboard also as suggested.

--Rehome corner piece--it's distracting--and move your big plant to that corner.

--Hang all art lower so middle is at eye leves.

--You seem to have a rug there, so it's hard to suggest curtains but I will anyway: light green pattern on white to echo chairs, table, and window trim. Hang from the ceiling on a straight black rod. (Pattern like this, but in green not gray.) Or match the upper wall cream.

Batik Window Curtain Panel, Tan, 52x63 · More Info

Here are some green dining rooms with examples of some suggestions:

Ivory curtains, rectangular pendant, lightly patterned rug

lightly patterned curtains, light, muted rug

lightly patterned green on white curtains, chairs like yours, no rug

• HU-73875209
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you, visuals make such a difference

• Paul F.
    10 days ago

• chloebud
    10 days ago

When I first read your post Beverly’s fifth light fixture example and the one in housegal’s second photo immediately came to mind. Seems any of the light fixtures posted could work.

• Paul F.
    10 days ago

• HU-73875209
    Original Author
    10 days ago

That fixture looks nice, thank you

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

If painting the walls are an option, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd paint it all one light color. I think the wood slats and molding are interesting enough on their own without having to high light them in a different color.

• nicole___
    10 days ago

I would replace one piece....then stand back....replace another...stand back.

Decide if your changing the green paint? Does it stay? Then proceed....

1st...new light fixture.

2nd....new art.

3rd....Patterened curtains.

.........now....take a break to re-evaluate.

• nelliebean
    9 days ago

I like your room as is, but one idea might be to push the arched cabinet against the wall and place the sideboard beside it up against the window. You'd be faking a wall unit and I think it would give your table more breathing space. I would take the curtains off that one window only. and leave the rest. I'm not sure what is on the wall you haven't shown - is there a door? If not maybe the arched cabinet and sideboard can go there and your table could be turned.

• HU-73875209
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Sadly it’s a new cabinet but maybe i can find a spot somewhere else for it to go and there are two openings which doesnt provide a lot of wall space. I really appreciate all of the comments and ideas - thinking outside the box!

• always1stepbehind
    9 days ago

If you like the cabinet, leave it there. Maybe try turning the cabinet against the wall and see what you think. if you like it on an angle then leave it. I didn't go through all the replies, but do you need curtains? Do you close them or are they just for looks? I'd see how the room looks without any.

• nelliebean
    9 days ago

Do you use both entrances? I've seen places where furniture is put in front of doors. Just another out of the box idea. lol