Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candela_rubino1

What to do with fireplace wall in kitchen

Ang R
10 days ago

Would love ideas for what to do with this fireplace wall!!!

Comments (10)

• HU-187528210
    10 days ago

We need more info as to what you’re willing and able to do.
    How this project relates to the kitchen …?
    Is the kitchen staying as is…
    More info.

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Is this a house you live in or are looking to buy? Are you planning on making any other updates to the kitchen? Do you need eat in seating space, more counter space, or more storage in here? What is your style?

I'd for sure change the lighting fixture. The wall paint reads cool and I'd repaint with a warmer white to complement the brick and cabinets. Get a moving island or cart to put in front of it, or get seating and table for that area. Hang something decorative on the wall but don't go crazy.

• Paul F.
    10 days ago

Frame it out and paint it?

• elcieg
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

That's not a fireplace wall. Go outside and look up at your roof? Do you see a chimney?

Get rid of it. Or, save the bricks for a patio or walkway. The things people do, sigh.

• Ang R
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I bought this house and I am willing to do anything that is needed to help the look of the kitchen. i am planning on re doing the kitchen.

i dont need anymore seating / eating area.

more counter or storage space is needed.

also this is the back of the fireplace. on the other side is the living room with the actual fireplace. there is also a chimney.

• latifolia
    10 days ago

It depends on your kitchen re-do. It would be easy to incorporate the back of the chimney into cabinets. Put a full depth fridge to the left and standard cabinets in front if it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 days ago

So is that actually containg the flue for the FP or what ? I have a FP where the whole thing is actually part of the home construction and it is huge 10' x4'x8' it has vent holes on both long sides so some in my kitcehn we did thta stone wall for our large gas range and some stainless cabinets all of which can be pulled out to clean the stone .. Yo u need to find out if this one you have needs to be there at all, the stagger is a bit of a puzzle . If it does include some venting etc then it might be able to be at least made smaller in which case a good kitchen designer could make it work You will need to hve it checked out for sure. This is mine it has a big concrete base in my walkout basement .

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    10 days ago

That’s a crazy looking thing protruding into your kitchen!

I would build cabinets or a pantry in front of and around it, making the whole wall flush and flat. If you do cabinets, you could include countertop space. You could move the fridge to the left end, as someone else suggested, or use that end as a broom closet.

• PRO
    Fireplace Treatments
    10 days ago

I agree with Paul F. Framing it out and covering it with drywall is an easy, cost-effective solution.

With that said, Patricia Colwell Consulting suggested you may be able to reduce the size. Certainly, the chimney is located inside the bricks or the right side that go floor to ceiling. The bricks on the left almost certainly have nothing to do with the chimney or structural support, so you most likely can remove them, but I would have a mason come in and provide an evaluation for that effort.

It could look like this:

When you get ready to Replace the Fireplace Doors on the actual fireplace, I can help you with that.

• Ang R
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thank you for the great feedbacks!