Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraheesmith

Living Room Furniture Help

saraheesmith
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

I need help with this room. I’d like to replace the chairs and curtains, add art work above the couch, end tables, and some faux plants. But I’m not sure what color/colors to go with for everything. I’d like a rattan, lighter wood and longer tv stand as well. Do I need an area rug? it seems easier to clean without one.

I am over the green chairs and blue curtains, so I am looking to replace, not make them work. And the TV stand is a bit too rustic for what I am going for. I’ve added some inspo pics of what I like in the comments. Unfortunately, the TV doesn't work on any other wall.

The color of the couch is throwing me. It can look grey/sliver and light blue in different light. I’m fine leaning into it being more light blue as that is what it looks like more often, but I want to keep things very clean, light, and bright, so nothing too dark.

Here are the chairs I like, but I don’t know what color to choose.

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/menlo-upholstered-swivel-armchair/

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have a hard time visualizing things.

At the advice of some people here, I’ve already moved the arrangement and it is much better! I added an extra rug we had, but probably need a larger one. Updated pic attched along with measurements. Note: No one uses the front door, ever, so I’m not worried about a walkway in front of the TV.

Comments (25)

• Jenny
    4 months ago

I think you have a nice start on your room with a lovely sofa and lots of natural light. Perhaps you could add some photos of inspiration rooms that are the look you would prefer? You have so many directions you could go with your room. From a distance your current chairs look a lot like the PB chairs. Why do you want to remove them?

saraheesmith thanked Jenny
  • jck910
    4 months ago

Draw a floor plan of the room with measurements and indicate doors & windows. Post it as a comment.

I would start with a rug. With the info you put on the floor plan we can help with the correct size for the rug but probably at least 8x10. I would go with a different style window treatment as those panels look silly hanging above the base heat. Maybe a woven roman shade. I would also get swivel chairs so they can face the TV or the sofa for conversation.

saraheesmith thanked jck910
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 months ago

Can you draw and measure that space please?

Nothing is fancy is necessary. Just every wall , window, opening, there's a front door out of view? Include it. Feet and inches for all and scan it on your printer, file as jpeg and put it in a comment below.

Take pics from the window end , entry and add those below as well.

You don't buy without a plan, and more info is needed for that plan : )

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6411000/how-to-houzz-how-to-ask-questions-how-to-get-helpful-answers-and-e#28784466

saraheesmith thanked JAN MOYER
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I‘ve never asked a design question before and didn‘t think of a layout and measurements. I’ll post that tomorrow!

I love the green chairs, just not the green and they are quite worn. I got a quote for reupholster and it was $1,400 per chair. I also thought swivel would be nice. I searched far and wide for a chair without a large footprint but still DEEP and WIDE. These are 25x25 and the perfect snuggler.

• elcieg
    4 months ago

Add a tray to the ottoman, and when the sectional feel is not needed, when turner the ottoman becomes a coffee table.

Looks like you have three windows. Consider this treatment....one rod hung at least 3" over window frame and 3" wider that window frame.

Add woven shades for color and texture.

Keep the green chairs. Add a rug that works with the chairs, but is not green based.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 months ago

There are tables at Ashley Furniture designed to fit over ottomans.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    4 months ago

Some artwork suggestions for you, Pick up a few of its colors in accessories, like pillows, rug, curtains to highlight the piece even more.

I servived · More Info

Strength Your Aura · More Info

When I Get There · More Info

saraheesmith thanked Poovi Art
  • freedomplace1
    4 months ago

I like those green chairs. But if you are buying the Pottery Barn chairs, you could just go for the chairs in the fabric displayed on their site.

But I have to say the style and color of those existing green chairs is very nice, and an interesting combination with your sofa, etc. You could alternatively keep the green chairs and current curtains, too, and just bring in a rug and maybe just add one pillow to your sofa pillows - a pillow that gives a nod to the chairs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chartreuse-Green-Taffeta-Laser-Cut-Lumbar-Pillow-Cover-13x22/319434792?

https://www.rugs-direct.com/Details/Surya-Brook-31422/148362

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

Agree with @freedomplace1 - A different rug and new pillows can pull this whole room together. If you WANT new furniture, let us know that.

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

Pull the couch off the wall and into the room, closer to the chairs. It will feel more conversational. It also allows you to add a narrow console table behind the couch to place a lamp or two.

Some rug ideas (all come in large sizes) from Wayfair.

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

Two more

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Some looks that I like:

• housegal200
    4 months ago

What's missing is a cozier, conversational feeling to the room. Everything is oriented to the TV, which is awkwardly placed since everyone has to walk in front of it to get through the space. You also lack a functional entryway,. A change in layout will help you create a cozier, conversational, and more functional living.

--Right away, lose the dark drapes since you said you don't want darkness in the room. Just match new drapes to wall color. A new rug and great art work should be provide interest and the personal touch.

--Change the layout of the whole to something like this so the sofa forms a walkway through the room and people don't have to walk in front of the TV. We'll get to TV wall below:

--

Condo Glow Up · More Info

--Since TV watching is prioritized but conversational coziness is lacking, then get new chairs on swivels. Imagine chairs like this on swivels facing each other and the sofa and connected conversationally around the coffee table. Something like this layout but spread out a bit.

Project Victorian Modern · More Info

--From your inspiration photos, pick out one of those patterned rugs, or a rug like them to anchor current and future furniture. Make sure it's big enough, yet leave a walkway through the space.

--New TV wall: Get something long, and low for under TV--plain white since you'll be adding art or possibly floating shelves to balance the TV screen.

Lakewood----Dallas, Tx · More Info

--Get rid of dark curtains. Replace with curtains that match wall color or light neutral as shown in first two photos. Art work and rug will add visual interest and personality to the room. You don't need curtains to do those jobs. Or a fancy TV console.

I often recommend Society6.com to people who don't own much art yet. Artists submit their own designs, which the company duplicates in prints, pillows, and more. The art comes in many sizes, can be paired in interesting ways, framed or unframed. Later on, as your taste matures, you can buy more original pieces from many other sources.

saraheesmith thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 months ago

As any designer or decorator will tell you, layout is the first item on the decorating list. And it begins with measuring and drawing the room to scale. Note adjacencies as well as all windows, doors, and permanent fixtures (heating, fireplace, etc.) All the suggestions are useless without it.

saraheesmith thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Updated pictures and measurments in the comments! Thank you all so much! I’ve already made some good adjustments!

• corlawatson
    4 months ago

If you are going for a more natural look you could replace the drapes with a neutral color. I have seen them made out of bamboo. How about some light natural wood for floating shelves to incorporate art and greenery. You could match the wood tone with a new entertainment. I like the green chairs, hopefully they're not too worn out because the green keeps it natural. You can definitely get a zen look if you want to.

saraheesmith thanked corlawatson
  • PRO
    lisedv
    4 months ago

As I was posting my comments, I just notices you posted new pictures with your 2 armchairs in front of the window, looks much better. And if they will be swivel chairs people sitting on those chairs will be able to comfortably look at TV.

For the 2 new chairs from Pottery Barn you're consideirng, I stayed with the Fern colour since you already had green in your room and I figured it must work with the rest of your decor which we cannot see. Below is an illustration of my suggestions:

saraheesmith thanked lisedv
  • PRO
    lisedv
    4 months ago

saraheesmith thanked lisedv
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 months ago

You NEED a nice big 9 x 12 rug

Watch the size and scale of chairs at the window, so you don't cramp the entry traffic.

Get a nice woven natural shade for the window..... Nice full panels only at the sides.!!

Don't think the ottoman is working well at all - maybe in another spot, or even in front of the console as a "pull up" seat. It's too small as a cocktail table. A 42" square or round wold be nicer. Don't forget side tables, lamps.........art.

A rug is not hard "to clean" , just vacuum: )

saraheesmith thanked JAN MOYER
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you to everyone for the comments and suggestions!!

@BeverlyFLA that layout suggestion was life changing! We adjusted yesterday and are really enjoying the space! Thank you!

@JAN MOYER your drawing is really helping me visualize the space. I agree with you on the ottoman! Thank you!

@lisesv I love how you incoporated my items and new pieces into a photo. This is the part that is particularly hard for me to visualize. Thank you!

@housegal Your suggestions are great! I’ve ordered some white linen curtains and am so exicted to see them in the space. I can’t wait to get rid of the blue and see what it does for the space. You may have even saved me a ton on a TV stand since I can go more netural there. Thank you!

• Hellogardener
    4 months ago

Don’t forget to show us the updated space! 😀

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@hellogardener as of right now, it is the first pic in my post after the layout. More to come once the curtains get here!

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Still working on this space, but getting there! The rug is on its way. And I’m picking out side tables and a coffee table. I am waivering on the photo and throw pillows

• Jenny
    26 days ago

I love your art! It brings such nice life to the space. I'm not sure about the floral pillows, the colors are good but maybe you need something more graphic and modern.

saraheesmith thanked Jenny
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida