Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyginla

Need decorating ideas for living room

Michelle Guilbeaux
last month
last modified: last month

Any of you interior decorating pros like to work with a clean canvas? I need to pull my living room together. The small space was a challenge for new furniture. The sofa set and rocker is the best we found for our needs.

I would like to add curtains or shades. Seems like I need to pull a little dark brown into the room since the rocker is so dark. I would like to leave the large painting but I am willing to see different ideas. I plan to one day have built in shelves around the TV- I know the front door will be a challenge for that. I’m thinking of adding a wireless lamp sconce on each side of the single window. The walls are currently agreeable gray which I actually don’t like so I would not mind changing to a different color- preferably a light color.

The wall with the single window is 10' wide. The wall with the double window is 10' wide to the front door. The wall with the picture is 8' wide to the entrance of the dining/kitchen area.

Any visual ideas to complete this room would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Sorry but that sofa was a poor choice and the chair now needs to go. You need to post a pic of the whole space and explain what else you want in the space . Lower the art for sure .

• kandrewspa
    last month

Where is the TV? We need more pictures of this space from different angles.

• jck910
    last month

Draw a floor plan with measurements and post it as a comment

• deegw
    last month
    last modified: last month

Can we see the other side of the room? What is to the right of the wall with the painting? Can you put the chair over there? Where it is right now does not work.

• Cathy Power
    last month

I would make the tv wall more of a focal point. Using floating shelves is an inexpensive way to make a statement on the wall. Ikea has several options. You could add books, plants, artwork, collectables ect.. on the shelves to add interest, colour and texture. I'd also add a longer cabinet below the tv - it doesn't need to be floating. I'd remove the pet carrier or integrate it into the cabinetry. I'd paint the TV wall an interesting colour. You could remove the curtains on the door and use a self-adhesive contact paper that looks like etched glass for privacy. I would remove the picture from that wall and add 2 pictures above the couch - one on either side of the window. If it's possible, you may want to swap out the sectional for a smaller couch in the same fabric since it works for your pets. I would reolcate the black chair to another room. Since the space is small, you could add a very narrow sofa table with with power outlets behin the couch so you can add lamps if they are required. Although I love cutrain, shades would probably be a better option in your space. I'd add colour it compliment the colour of the entertainment- with a throw or throw pillows, in the fabric on the shade. I hope you find some of these ideas helpful.

• Denise Marchand
    last month

Try the sofa under the double window and relocating the TV where you now have your art. Place the art on the entrance wall over the existing cabinet.

Consider full curtain panels on the windows hung ceiling to floor to create a welcoming and cozy design.

I would install some custom shelves on either side of the single window for swing lamps and accessories. The rug in the floor plan is 8x10, as I feel a larger rug will make the room seem bigger.

The wall at the entrance can accommodate a console, art, a lamp, and mirror.

If you like this layout, we can continue with what the tv wall should look like.

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    10 days ago

Are you able to turn the sectional so it's facing the small piece of artwork next to it? You might look at moving the TV and console where that small piece of artwork is and then using a console table near the door. It seems like you have very limited space, so a sectional isn't really going to work well, but we think you can make it work by turning it.

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

• Denise Marchand
    9 days ago

It would be nice to get some feedback from the OP, so we can maybe help further. Any comments are welcomed!

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    9 days ago

These abstract paintings bring personality to this beautiful space and we have numerous wall art ideas to inspire you -