Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darko_kuzmanovic

Reorganizing my bedroom, need some advice

Darko Kuzmanovic
14 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

Hi guys, I'm planning on reorganizing my bedroom completely so any kind of advice will be helpful since i have zero knowledge about interior design, matching colors, contrast etc. Here are my initial ideas:
Since there are lots of wooden elements I would like to change the bed covers, lazy bag, carpet (maybe?), and lighting (it's definitely too bright for such a small room 14m^2/150feet^2), it stands out too much imo. The door frame and the walls will probably be different color also. Generally, I would like too add some more source of light, plants (I love green colour), maybe a picture or a wallcovering. The goal is to match everything with the color of the wood and also add some contrast so it looks appealing. I'm not sure which colors would fit here, I could also add another type of wood, since I'm making the furniture on my own.
I might even change the place of furniture completely, I was thinking about putting the desk on the place of the lazy bag or even of the closet (it's inside the wall, front picture slide door). The tv will probably be moved because it's too high up right now and it's not really comfortable to watch.
How would you arrange this bedroom and what accessories would you add? Write down your suggestions :)

Comments (17)

• PRO
    lisedv
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

What exactly are you re-organizing? Are you planning on replacing the desk area arrangement? Are you planning on replacing your bed and bedding? Or are you simply planning on redecorating the room? What is the width of the room from the low side of the room to the high ceiling side? What is the length of the room from the entrance door to the exterior wall? What is the height at the lowest level?

Darko Kuzmanovic thanked lisedv
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago

I think Houzz needs a teen division? You need to be a teen to get out of a lazy bag

• Darko Kuzmanovic
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Right now there is a lot of empty space in the middle of the room, so I thought about switching things up completely but I idk exactly how. Maybe to put the bed in the place of the desk area in the middle? The room also need some decoration, so what accesories would you add and where (plants, lamps etc.)? Basically, how would you design this room in order to fill up the middle part (which you cannot see on the photos) and to make it seem more comfortable and cozy? How would you desight it if you would start from scratch?

Lenght - 3,3m

Width - 4m

Hight at the highest level (right side) - 2,2m

Hight at the lowes level (left side) - 1,2m

• Cara Fidler
    13 days ago

Since you like the color green I would first find a comforter that has predominantly green in it. One possibility for the walls is grasscloth or paint the walls one of the accent colors in the comforter. I would add a few exotic plants either faux or real depending on how much natural sunlight you have there. You might consider painting the desk an accent color and also the shelving and the shelves to the left of the tv. The tv is awfully big. Not sure where else you could put it. Some shades of green you might consider: lime green, teal, forest green, mint green. I would also look for an area rug that has some green in it. I suggest a floor lamp and a lamp for one of the tables and one for your desk. Also, I would paint the nightstand and the headboard an accent color from your new comforter. Would look nice. As far as the furniture arrangement goes, I would rearrange it and see how a different arrangement suits you.

Darko Kuzmanovic thanked Cara Fidler
  • dan1888
    13 days ago

I'd prioritize and pare down. Delete the desk and chair And the shelves. Angle a couch with rolled arms from the space to the right of the entrance door over to the wall where the bed is now. The seat area of the couch will be a mattress. Add a large, upholstered ottoman in front of the couch, same level, to act as a table for laptop and plates/glasses. Get a larger tv to use all the wall space to the right of the window door. For the couch/bed I'd pick pocketed springs and a 3"/7-8cm latex topper in the medium density.

Darko Kuzmanovic thanked dan1888
  • auntthelma
    13 days ago

Switch the bed and desk. It is slightly uncomfortable to sleep under the angled ceiling It looks like you dont need the shelves above the desk, so delete them and replace with a dresser thar can hold the TV.

Darko Kuzmanovic thanked auntthelma
  • PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

Would you consider a day bed to replace your bed?

Do you need the desk?

Darko Kuzmanovic thanked lisedv
  • Darko Kuzmanovic
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. Do you think it would fit well if I painted the walls in a shade of dark green (for example british racing green), put a rug and a conforter of the same color, also some green plants and a wall covering to match everything? I would also paint all wooden parts (floor, celing and furniture) in camel color to compliment the dark, cozy, earthy atmosphere and maybe add some red items (flower pots or pictures for example) to add some contrast to the room. What do you think?

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

To start by working on a better layout before going into decor, I would need you to reply to my questions above. Here they are:

- Would you consider a day bed to replace your bed?

- Do you need the desk?

If you prefer a bed to a day bed, would you go for a double or queen size?

• Darko Kuzmanovic
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I would keep the regular bed and the desk, it's a single bed (about 1m width and 2m lenght)

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

Just saw your reply as I was posting the suggestions below.

Would a decor something like this appeal to you?

• Darko Kuzmanovic
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Yeah, this combination looks nice, navy blue with wooden elements

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

I think you'd also have to bring some white into the room with just the small window on the door so perhaps a white dresser (the TV can sit on top) and framed art on white background.

• PRO
    lisedv
    13 days ago

Question: would the desk against the low wall be something you could consider?

• Darko Kuzmanovic
    Original Author
    13 days ago

That coild be an option also

• Denise Marchand
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Not sure if the floor plan is in the correct direction, could you check? Do you enter the room from the wood door? In any case, there are some measurements that are necessary for this plan to work for you. Sounds and looks like you are younger than most on this site, and it's great to see that you acknowledge you need design help.

1) Light: If you need natural light, is there anyway a skylight is an option?

2) Paint: Consider painting the walls a warm grey or terracotta (a dark tone in the wood). If you paint the doors and door frames the same color as the walls, it will open up the space and not add another element to the room. Painting a coordinating color to highlight the British Racing Car Green you like will set the color palette.

3) Floor Plan: Because the room is small, it's important to tighten up the furniture, which it looks like you are accustomed to.

The angled ceiling side of the room should be used for the TV, display, books, dressers and can be 20"+ deep to accommodate a unit. Bring the TV to the front edge of the of the unit. Adding under counter lights the full length is a good place for ambient lights.

Place the bed in the corner on the glass door wall and treat yourself to a small two seat recliner in British Racing Car Green leather. Behind the sofa, add a shelf 2" below the top of the sofa, which can hold lamps for the sofa and the bed and act as a nightstand also. Large art/poster above. Add a small 24" diameter table at the sofa.

Locate the desk to the right of the wood door giving you much needed head room.

Lighting: Three of the same swing arm table lights for the sofa, bed and desk and undercounter lights at the wall unit (see pic below) should be good light for the room. and you can add floor lamp near the wood door (on either side).

Rug: To add more color, a rug (8x10) as large as possible can be as simple, or colorful as you like. There are so many different rugs out there, so it should be the last addition to the room after you decide on the wall color and furniture finish. Same with the bedding.

Hope this helps.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ In this pic, note the wall system taking advantage of the depth and adding lights and cabinets above.

Darko Kuzmanovic thanked Denise Marchand
Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County