Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

mixing metal finishes in kitchen

gsciencechick
14 years ago

We are getting ready to start on the cabinets and countertop. We will get blue pearl granite with an undermounted stainless steel sink (unless someone can recommend another surface that is durable and requires no major special care). Anyways, I'm planning on stainless cabinet hardware and we have a brushed stainless on coordinating light fixtures.

We were at the store, and DH really likes an ORB faucet. I told him this really didn't match my plans, but then was thinking why does everything have to match?

In the half bath, we have ORB combined with an an antique looking bronze, and that coordinates well, but it seems more in the same family.

Comments?

Comments (5)

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

I think the key here is not to have just one thing in the odd finish. If you were mixing three or four metals, you can have one, but if you want to use the ORB faucet, I'd consider ORB for the cabinet hardware as well, and let the light fixtures and the sink be stainless...OR keep the stainless pulls and change the light fixture.
    It's also a good idea to make sure that the ORB faucet is not a style that is inconsistent with the look you have already established.

• User
    14 years ago

Mixing finishes looks good IMO, but I agree, you need something else in the orb finish not just the faucet. In our kitchen we went with nickel finish hardware on the permimeter cabinets which are dark cherry, and nickel light pendants. We have ORB faucets but our island which is a cream has ORB hardware which relates to the faucets.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Totally agree with the posters, above.

I love mixed metals and have four different ones in my kichen/breakfast area. However, they all have something to tie each other together.

Blue Pearl can look very contemporary, especially paired with so much stainless. If you want to use anything ORB, think about incorporating a warmer finish elsewhere, also, or it might stick out like the proverbial 'sore thumb'. :)

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the FB. I think the kitchen will look better in the cooler colors with the stainless, white, cobalt blue lighting with stainless, and blue pearl granite, and I don't think introducing the ORB will really work that well. I will just have to break it to DH. He is like MIL in that he likes something and has no attention to detail on whether anything coordinates or not! I know things don't have to be matchy-matchy, but I don't want something that looks odd either. Since faucets are not cheap, I don't want to spend $300 or so and then find out it doesn't work.

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

Use the ORB in a powder room or on exterior lighting.