Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
222muchcoffee

Hanging some Art in Dining area and misc

Coffee Dude
20 days ago

I am nearly finishing my update in decor for a short term rental. I found some canvas prints to buy - kind and wondering if my sizing is okay? 24 x 30 ($160 each).

Also, I changed the rug in Living room, and took away the rug under the dining room table. I am not sure if one is really needed under the dining table. Note - this is a short term rental and I am trying to make my photos special and pop.

Thanks for all the previous help!

Link for other art piece.

https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/colorful-tablescape-ii,2755754/?ref=also-in-similar-image

The tape to the right of the frame is at 59" - I may be a lil high?

Comments (36)

• kandrewspa
    20 days ago

I would get the next larger size, hang them lower and closer together. The middle of the pieces should be eye level for the average person, about 60"-64" from the floor. But since you have them over a bench, make sure someone won't bump their head on them while sitting there. If you think your rental is going to attract families, keep in mind that it's likely children would be sitting on the bench. I like the way the blue in the print picks up the blue of the chairs.

Coffee Dude thanked kandrewspa
  • Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Right now they are centered about 59 -60" - You make a good point about kids sitting on it. Yes, I do get some families - no more than a party of 7 - the benches are pretty deep. I had pillows behind them but removed for the photos. Makes me wonder if I should get a different shape like a square or horizontal layout.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    20 days ago
  • HU-187528210
    20 days ago

You’re overpaying for art

• Coffee Dude thanked HU-187528210
  • Coffee Dude thanked HU-187528210
  • HU-187528210
    20 days ago

Last one

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    20 days ago

i like that very much! But, when I click a larger size it's $420 - maybe I could get away with one? My personal preference is more.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    20 days ago

@Jilly I went to the website you recommended and really liked it! Hope you can take a look this post and weigh in, please. : )

• Jilly
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Hi, Coffee Dude!

I like the art you chose, as well as the placement.

For a personal residence, I’d be slightly pickier about hanging height, but for the best function in this situation, and with a functional bench under it, I think a bit higher is better. Especially if you add pillows … that will give the illusion of them being lower.

It looks perfectly fine to me (your taped off areas).

Your pictures always look so good on your site, I know this will, too! :)

PS: I love this woven piece!

Coffee Dude thanked Jilly
  • Jilly
    19 days ago

Off-topic real quick …. did y’all have a good view of the eclipse? It was great up here, the clouds went away right in time for a good show!

• ilikefriday
    19 days ago

I love the vibrant colors of these pieces but IMO they are much too small for the space. OTOH I would not spend a ton of money on a large piece of art in an Airbnb. I suggest purchasing a large piece of MDF and some wallpaper. Apply the wallpaper to the MDF and hang it as art. That way you can have a huge piece at an affordable price and not have to worry if people lay their backs against it.

Coffee Dude thanked ilikefriday
  • Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    19 days ago

@Jilly We got a few glimpses when clouds opened up. Got quite dark for about 4 minutes though.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    19 days ago

@ilikefriday I'm a total newb! Not sure how or where to find that wallpaper as my art. Do you have a link or an example you recommend? Thanks for the suggestion - I never would have considered.

• Jilly
    19 days ago

Coffee Dude, those eclipse pictures are so striking! Anywhere you could put them in your own house? Historic art. :)

• ilikefriday
    19 days ago

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Interesting thoughts! That would have been great over the Master bedroom bed - (branch just installed).

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Maybe the wall by the coffee nook (table next to kitchen) - i haven't shown it in pics. It is a nice pic - I never would have thought of that. You guys are very creative!

• Jilly
    19 days ago

Your projects are so fun! Plus, I have a vested interest since I hope to get my DH down to SA one of these days …. and we’ll stay in one of your rentals. :)

I’m partial to the smallest cottage. We just need a cute place to sleep and shower. :D

• emily9972
    19 days ago

Not having a rug under a dining table in a rental is a good idea. Your rug in the living area looks like it is too far under the sofa. Could you pull it out so that it covers under the front legs of the chair opposite? The room looks a bit out of balance. OTOH, it may interfere with pathways...

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    18 days ago

@ilikefriday and @Jilly Great idea to show the eclipse as art. I asked my friend to share a bigger file and I will print them? Would you put them on canvas? I am not sure the best way to hang them. I will probably use them in the master bdrm to go with the dimly lit branch. Thinking 18 x 18" or 24 x 24?

• Jilly
    18 days ago

I like canvas art, but I’m wondering if using these particular photographs on canvas would sort of blur or dilute the images. They’re so beautiful and haunting, I’d want to them to look as clear as possible, and with the feel of vintage B&W art.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Friday is a genuis in all things art, so will hopefully see this and weigh in.

• ilikefriday
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Jilly gives me too much credit. I really love art and making it the focal point of decor.

I prefer solid surfaces for all art. Would you consider printing on metal? That might be interesting. I am not sure of the cost. I think the reflection of metal might also bring a bit of intrigue to the subject.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@ilikefridayiday and @Jilly Friday is upon us and I haven't pulled the trigger on the art. I have professional photography in 3 days. The art I liked (bigger sizes) was too expensive - $500 or more for 2. Last minute thought at World market - Would this below piece work? It is only 36" wide and wondering if could get something for each side to fill the wall - something calmer and maybe a bit smaller? Here is the world market link and I will also do a screenshot.

Anyone else ? Please chime in! https://www.worldmarket.com/p/bronze-metal-sunrise-sunset-panel-outdoor-wall-decor-2-piece-630703.html I may end up leaving it bare.

On my total eclipse of the moon pics - someone researched doing this for me and the pics were taken n an iPhone and to blow it up to a 24 x 24 - or so - it would not work. I was going to put them in the Master bedroom.

• Paul F.
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I saw the big pelican at HomeGoods the other day. It was $149.

Coffee Dude thanked Paul F.
  • Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks, but we are 150 from the gulf. If we were closer and that was my theme, I like the pelican very much.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I am impressed how you put that on the photo I provided. Is that easy to do? @paul_f

• Paul F.
    10 days ago

Oh sorry I thought you were look for a more affordable place to buy interesting art. I think your first thought was better... colorful art. Black and white photos and bronze metal not so much.

Photoshop! It's a subscription program now and it takes a little while to figure out. The new AI can be amazing though. It cleaned off your table.

• ilikefriday
    10 days ago

I think the World Market pieces are too small. Think outside the box for a larger piece.

1. Toddler art is one of my favorites and something I often suggest to people on Houzz.

2. Cover a large canvas with a piece of colorful fabric.

3. Paul suggested Home Goods. I think that is good idea.

4. Use interactive art. Hang a large chalk board or paint the entire wall with chalkboard paint and encourage guests to create their own art. The same can be done with white board paint.

5. Hang a rug instead of a painting .

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

Love following this thread!

• housegal200
    10 days ago

You should know about Society6.com, a great source for affordable art. Artists submit their own designs, which are reproduced in different sizes and formats. Some of their graphic pieces are fantastic--very bold and great for people just starting to collect art. Go for prints rather than canvas since reproducible canvas doesn't show brushstrokes. Their prints lend themselves to high contrast pairings of works side by side.

• housegal200
    10 days ago

@jilly and others: I agree that printed canvases aren't as desirable as prints. A real painting has brushstrokes, which add dimension to the art work. This quality can't be reproduced very well on canvases. I do like original watercolors and pastels, though. But for art newbies, Etsy.com and society6.com feature the work of many artists--photos and reproduced prints that don't pretend to be original brushed on paintings. Well framed, these are preferable to printed canvas IMO.

Coffee Dude thanked housegal200
  • hazwe
    10 days ago

I am new to Society6, but I see that if you use their search function they have some local subject prints and posters. Search San Antonio framed art prints or framed posters. Ditto for a Texas search.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I am going to try to find wall paper or stickers /decals like @ilikefriday suggested - probably not the same patten - but something. May be back later with a couple of likes. I want and need something easy and fast. :))

• ilikefriday
    9 days ago

I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County