Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiasues

Terrible family room design

georgiasues
10 days ago

My family room is giving me headaches especially the fireplace wall, (non symmetrical) and the overall design of room.
Any Advice would be appreciated especially with TV placement, where to install bookcases, and general placement of furniture.

Thank you so much
Georgia

Comments (27)

• partim
    10 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Can you measure the room and show the location of the windows, fireplace etc? Are you keeping your existing furniture and TV? Can you take a picture the area behind the sofa?

• Paul F.
    10 days ago

Can you put it on the other side?

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

You have a great space that just needs a direction.

Do you have the measurements of the space?

What is behind the sofa? A kitchen?

Is that a door on the left side of the first photo?

I am thinking if you could lower the mantle and put the tv on the fireplace wall. Low enough to enjoy

Move the sofa closer to the tv and the two chairs on either side

Create a conversation area.

This ismounted tooo high but you get the idea

Living Room · More Info

Netherton Residence Fireplace · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Ranch Style Conversion · More Info

• HU-187528210
    10 days ago

There’s so much potential here!
    It’s so overwhelming when you live in a space but a fresh set of eyes can really help reconfigure the space for you.

A few points I want to make:

First, can you by any chance add a window to the right side of the fireplace?

Second, I’d try the tv above the fireplace

Also, paint the walls and the ceiling the same color so it’s less overwhelming…

Do you need the fan? Or is updating the fan to a nicer light fixture an option?

• georgiasues
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I apologize for being vague, this is the 1st time I have asked for help. The fireplace wall is 24’ long and from couch to tv is 9’.
    I want to replace the TV stand & couch, to much gray. We want to add a bookcase/s if workable and something for TV. Behind couch is table & chairs for meals. There is all glass opposite wall from blank 10’ wall. As I said weird lay-out because small hallway goes to 1/2 bath and a bedroom.

• Paul F.
    10 days ago

Well, part of coming here for help is answering questions.

• HU-187528210
    10 days ago

Inspiration

• HU-187528210
    10 days ago

I hope you can see the potential 🤎🤍🤎🤍

• WestCoast Hopeful
    10 days ago

Great space with tons of potential. Posting a floor plan helps folks be able to give you better tips. Your furniture seems far from the floor replace and the tv should be on the other side or not on the fireplace wall at all. A coffee table also helps anchor the space more.

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

Unless you're used to having the TV up high (over the fireplace), having it to the right like Paul F.'s first picture is better. Just buy a new console and skip doing a built-in.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 days ago

The TV over the fireplace will be too high no matter what you do. I'd buy a new console and put the TV to the right of the fireplace, at eye level when you're sitting. And a bookcase would work well along the left side wall. Then arrange the furniture around the TV/fireplace wall and the right side window, perhaps an L-shaped sectional with a chair/ottoman by the window.

• freedomplace1
    10 days ago

If you keep the tv where it is, bringing in some wood on the console might be nice.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 days ago

The most obvious question that I'm sure everyone is asking is can you install a new window to match the existing one on the other side of the fireplace?

• auntthelma
    10 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

What Paul said. I would flip the room so that the TV is on the other side of the fireplace and the seatin arragement faces the fireplace and thenpicture window with the TV in between those two focal,points.

• freedomplace1
    9 days ago

A mirror might be interesting.

Not the perfect dimensions but you get the general idea. And a mirror there would also reflect the light from the windows- so win win. You don’t necessarily need a console with it. I just super imposed it sloppily over the etagere. ( Clearly, I need people. ;)

You could alternatively get a mirrored cabinet, etc. Or use some mirror type peel and stick wallpaper on back to give a similar effect. I’m thinking of maybe doing that with this cabinet for my new place.

Super inexpensive on Ebay. Dont know how long i’ll be there and don’t want to invest alot in some of the furnishings. But I think this will serve function as stereo/bar cabinet type thing..

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

You will have "VAGUE" suggestions until you haul out a 30 foot tape measure, draw the space, measure every wall, window, opening, fireplace and raised hearth , doorway, in feet and inches and note where openings and doors lead

You post that as a bold and legible drawing in JPEG format, below in a comment box.

Help will follow, that is useful.

Anything less is just guessing B.S.

Why? Scroll all and to the bottom of this thread as example......

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6441812/desperately-in-need-of-furniture-layout-help#n=3

• freedomplace1
    9 days ago

If someone needs every foot and inch in order to understand a space - and/or to offer some ideas - they basically have zero clue as to what they are doing.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    9 days ago

The FIRST order of business when any designer is asked to work on a space is to measure the space, draw it to scale, and then propose a layout(s). That's just the way it's done. Anyone who thinks that means they have "zero clue as to what they are doing" has zero clue as to what THEY are doing.

Giving general ideas is nice, but when the OP asks "what size sofa/chairs/table/TV/console/rug should I get?" the only way to answer is if you know the dimensions of the room. Pretty pictures are also nice but they don't solve all the problems.

• always1stepbehind
    9 days ago

if you do a lot of TV watching, I'd move the tv to other other side of the fireplace as already suggested since you have the glare from the windows on the tv screen. I'm not a professional but I'm a very visual person so I'd play with the furniture placement and see how it feels to you.

• arcy_gw
    9 days ago

The OBVIOUS first move is flip the tv to the right side of the room. That alcove is there for a TV. The rest we need more specifics--measurements/doors/windows traffic flow. What is the fireplace facing?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    9 days ago

Why is this so difficult?

put the sofa under the big window.

mount the tv on the large wall, get a large console to go beneath it.

bookcase or chest to the right of the fireplace.

window treatment to the left.

here.

of course the furniture in this pic isn't properly placed because my photoshop skills are poor at best. but you get the idea.

Just like this one. this is a more modern feel, but the layout is the same.

And, if you wanted to put the tv to the right side:

replaced your fan (it's outdate and the blades are too small for the size of that room) w/a ceiling light. diff sofa under the window, chairs across (you could do artwork on that wall)

diff design if you even wanted to redo the fireplace

instead of a bookcase, custom bookshelves.

maybe something like this. just make sure the console is 1/3rd LARGR than the tv size.

you could do a sectional if you like or a sofa w/chaise

you could also put the tv above the fireplace and do a two sofas or a sectional, as long as one part goes under the window

sectional, chairs, tv over fireplace, window treatment (here they have a little bench under the window)

similar to your room layout. sectional, tv over fireiplace. accent wall

you could also do this arrangement w/the tv above fireplace or off to the right.

chairs under window or over on wall, sofa on large wall (or under window) , tv above mantel.

New fan

I suppose you could build in a cab and put the tv over there like this,

Or this one. the tv would need to properly fit in that bump out section to the right.

Here's how that would look if you did an L shape sectional under the window.

If you really wanted to update the entire room, voila'

(pretend those doors are you window on the other side)

In fact, here are a few more w/very similar room layouts. anything you like?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    9 days ago

"The FIRST order of business when any designer is asked to work on a space is to measure the space, draw it to scale, and then propose a layout(s)."

True

No PRO on earth skips this step. We do not get paid to wave a hand and be vague. If a client or most clients were "visual"? We would do the WAVE.

"If someone needs every foot and inch in order to understand a space - and/or to offer some ideas - they basically have zero clue as to what they are doing."

Of course not........especially after decades of professional results delivered.......wow. Just wow.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    9 days ago

Agree with freedomplace1. Some posts require good measurements to give useful advice, but this isn't one of them. The OP never asked about what size furniture would work, only the general arrangement. I already suggested one possible layout above, but Beth H has perhaps an even better idea.

• georgiasues
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I really appreciate all the help regarding my family room & what wonderful suggestions that I plan on using. I do want to apologize for not putting up a better floor plan with measurements etc. & will do this in the future. A added bonus from the comments there were a lot of pictures with the Carmel color & I going to try & find a couch in that color & definitely a different ceiling fan! Thank you so much.

• partim
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

The sofa and the TV will be too far apart for comfortable TV viewing if they are on opposite sides of a 24 foot space. According to these sites, even with the largest TVs, you should be no more than 12 ft from the screen. Depends on the size of screen, and it sounds like the OP is keeping the existing TV. We don't know the size.

This is a very wide and shallow room, 24 ft wide and only 9 ft from sofa (front of sofa?) to fireplace (front edge of hearth?). And it has a notch out of one side with the hallway. That's why it would be helpful to have the lengths of some of the other walls. Then we'd know where our suggested placement would sit in relation to the windows/sliders and the hallway. And it would be nice to see what is behind the sofa to know how far back we can go.

Might be better to angle the TV into the non-window corner. Put the 2 chairs facing the window and the sofa facing the fireplace wall. Assuming the sofa is wider than the 2 chairs side-by-side.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-M6h5VOiV0X0/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html

@georgiasues, if you're going to buy new furniture, be sure you are satisfied with your layout by doing a trial run using your existing furniture, or you run the risk of making a purchase that doesn't work for TV watching. Consider getting out a measuring tape and people can provide better advice.

• georgiasues
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you Partim, I will get it measured and post.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 days ago

Two possible layouts for the room. IMO the position of the TV dictates how this room will be laid out. Placing it in the corner will minimize the glare of the windows.