Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticme_gw

Burlap curtains / roman shades

eclecticme
13 years ago

Does anyone have burlap curtains or roman shades? I know that www.ballarddesigns.com has burlap curtains but I was looking for other choices. Does anyone have any? Can you share photos? I have a ton of burlap and was thinking of trying to make some.

Comments (25)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I don't want this to sound bad, but why would you want burlap curtains? That fabric is messy and itchy. Not to mention it's terrible if you have allergies. It sheds terribly which isn't good for you if you are allergic.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Burlap comes in many levels of quality...everything from the shedding, scratchy, slightly aromatic twine stuff (which I would hesitate to use) to silk burlap, which is gorgeous and refined. It is wonderfully textural, natural, and can look great to add a note of informality to a traditional interior, or texture and funk to a smooth modern one...and made into classically styled full drapery, it can give great refinement to a rustic interior.

So I'd just ask what you are wanting to accomplish with it, and what kind you have? (And I'd also note that if you have cats, I'd restrict its use to Roman shades...it is utterly irresistible to busy little claws...!)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Line it, it's a loose weave so doesn't block much light.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I think if you wash the burlap in an industrial machine and then press it and line it, it's certainly a good choice for Roman blinds if you want something in a neutral color with a texture. I like how it looks, but I'd rather have someone else do the work.

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I actually love the look of burlap. I love its texture. I think compliment the most rustic decor as well as the most sophisticated. I've been looking at curtain and fabrics forever. I have a ton of burlap that I bought for a different project and I would like to make roman shades for my bedroom windows. I think I might also add long and very short rods on the either side of each window with long panels that go to the floor. Either the long panels would be in burlap or a different fabric. I want to add alot of texture to the room. Does anyone have any photos or burlap curtains? I know my style is not exactly mainstream but I would like to see any ideas that are out there.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Yes, washed, pressed, and lined, it will also be more stable, as its loose weave can allow it to get saggy.
    Plain burlap also takes dye very well, if you wanted to enhance the plain string color with something a bit richer.
    We did an oyster roast in an outdoor pavilion some years ago for a young couple about to be married, and used big squares of burlap which we fringed, washed, and dyed a rich red-gold-brown as overcloths on all the tables...the centerpieces were galvanized pails stuffed with cut branches of magnolia foliage...looked terrific, if I do say so, and cost virtually nothing.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I think that it would be wonderful! I think Ballard Designs sells burlap panels - maybe check their site for a pic?

• dogridge
    13 years ago

I just made some burlap drapes using regular old burlap from Joann Fabrics.
    The fabric was difficult to square up due to the loose weave. I lined them with regular drapery liner, used a wide stiffining fabric up top and drapery hooks to attach to the rods.
    I think they look great.
    The only minor issue is that the hem is a bit uneven- I think due to the difficulty squaring up the fabric.
    I will try to post pics when I get home.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

My concern isn't it's look. In that respect it does have a certain appeal. It's the itchy factor that keeps me from using it. I even ordered samples of the highest quality I could find online. It was to be "the next thing to natural linen" but still very itchy and messy. Personally I'd rather spend the extra for natural linen. Maybe everyone isn't as allergic to burlap as I am, but I'd still not want the mess.
    dogridge, I'm interested to hear what you think of the messy itchy factor since you didn't mention that in your reply.

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

What a fabulous idea! No, no pictures except some fabulous ones I've imagined since reading the title of your post .... It hadn't occurred to me but as soon as I read it I thought "fabulous!" I am also a burlap-lover -- I think it can provide the yin to the yang, kinda like salt in a cookie recipe -- heightens the flavor.

One (mind) image I'm having a great time with is applying a ribbon / tape trim, not on the finished edge but like two inches in, as a border. Does that make any sense, eclecticme? I can see that kind of tidy border both on a roman shade and a curtain panel. Of course, I also am having a good (mental) time imagining them unadorned.

I'm sorry to, as usual, have no pictures to share to answer your question, but I love reading your posts because you have such terrific taste!

• dogridge
    13 years ago

I haven't had any problems with shedding. There is a faint "burlap" smell in the room, but it is dissipating with time (they have only been up for a couple of months)
    being scratchy doesn't really bother me as I don't regularly touch or brush up against them.

• bellaflora
    13 years ago

If you are doing roman shade, adding a border in a linen with tighter weave at the sides and bottom (maybe a/b 2.5 or wider depending on the size of the shade) would help with the hemming & squaring problem.

I think it could be really cool. I would do the border in an oatmeal or grey linen.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

A border of 1-inch grosgrain ribbon a few inches in from the sides and at the top of the hem would also help with the stability factor, and give your shades a nice tailored look.
    Dogridge, your curtains look wonderful!

• rjinga
    13 years ago

I purchased burlap at the local fabric store, after several ladies there commented that once washed and pressed, the fabric had a texture and feel of raw silk. I too asked about shedding, they all agreed that if washed and pressed (maybe even with a light starch) that shedding was not an issue. And the burlap smell goes away with time.

I have not made my curtains yet, but someday in the right room, I will.

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! I already have SEVERAL yards of burlap that I used for a different project. It has already been washed and I dont see shedding to be a problem.

Dogridge - Thanks for the photo! Those panels look fantastic.

I will start making my roman shades this weekend. I will use your idea rmkitchen, and apply some type of ribbon or trim.

I will also line the roman shades with blackout liner. I cant wait to see how they turn out. I will need 7 shades for my room. I have never made roman shades before, but, how hard could it be??? I will post a photo when I'm done.

BTW I made a table runner using burlap a few months ago and it turned out great.

I love the way burlap looks, I love its texture, and its cheap! I have been scouring the web looking at photos of furniture slipcovered with burlap. I love the look.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Sorry, no photos, but our gameroom (about 18' by 30', if I recall correctly) has a wall of floor to ceiling windows at one end, a window over a little kitchen area at the other, and windows in each of the four little bays. All have burlap curtains lined in blackout lining, European pleated on rings, hung from silver-toned rods that look sort of like plumbing pipes. I had spent so much money on hand-embroidered silks and linens for the rest of the window treatments in this house that the $2/yard hemp-toned burlap looked really good to me. They are no dustier than anything else here in this agricultural area, have been very practical, and I love the texture. I only use natural fabrics for window treatments, but I find that that choice does not limit me in terms of textural contrast at all. The blackout lining holds the shape of the curtains very effectively. We needed that because the gameroom is also where the largest flat screen t.v. is, so effective light control is important. One other thing that I have done with burlap in the past: cut it, shape it into an irregular wedge, starch it, and use it as a sort of sculptural, fixed, partial shade over a weird attic window.

• dogridge
    13 years ago

I haven't had any problems with shedding. There is a faint "burlap" smell in the room, but it is dissipating with time (they have only been up for a couple of months)
    being scratchy doesn't really bother me as I don't regularly touch or brush up against them.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Eclecticme,
    We must have been posting at the same time. I'll be interested in finding out where you obtain findings for your romans. I have both made them and and had them made, but the loops and pulleys on the ones that I have made have never been as hardy as were the ones on the commercially fabricated shades. My only cautionary note--measure several times before you commit! With romans, it's all about squareness, even rows of loops, correct lengths, etc.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Dogride, those look great!! I am totally stealing the ideas from here....using the burlap (cheap) and a big grosgrain ribbon for a shower curtain.

Eclecticme....can't wait to see what you do. Thanks for asking about them.

Smiles:)

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Dogridge - Those look awesome (as does the tiny peek I can see of your home!).

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Burlap love!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

ooooohhh the burlap is beautiful. kmcg those pics are amazing- I even love the decorative center piece in the curtain rod! What is that? Does anyone know?!!

this post is going into my favs to look at when I finally get to think about curtains for the living room and dining room windows!

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Ya'll just solved a problem of mine!

I've been trying to decide what to put in my "bird room" (I have seven birds and a dedicated bird room), and have been looking at indoor/outdoor fabrics, but so far have found nothing that really goes in my house for "cheap." I don't want to spend a lot of money in that room.

Anyway, burlap would look great in there. I love the ideas on this board. I'm afraid I take and take, and don't really give much , but I'm not very talented when it comes to decorating. :(

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I used hardware that I bought from Terrell Designs when I made my roman shades a few years ago.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Bump for lyban.