Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chandraclewley

Dining Room Wall Storage Ideas?

Chandra C
12 days ago

I have a blank wall in my dining room and I am looking for curio style cabinets to go against it. Not open shelving.

I’m confused on scale, shape and color to choose. Can anyone help with what neutral color, shape and height would be best?

Photo 1 is of the blank wall
Photo 2 is the attached room
Photo 3 is a similar set up I’ve seen as an idea but it’s too expensive and large for the room
Photo 4 is what is at the end of the table on the only other wall of the room

Comments (16)

• HU-787167202
    12 days ago

Sounds like what you need is a china cabinet. Nothing would fit on the 'empty' wall.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    12 days ago

I doesn't look like you have enough room for cabinets on that wall that wouldn't interfere with pulling back the chairs on that side. But maybe it's just a weird photo angle? A dimensioned floor plan would help.

• Chandra C
    Original Author
    12 days ago

The wall is 14 feet long - I think the scale is off in the photos. Anything 12 wide or less feet would work.

The space between the table and the wall is 4 feet.

• Yayagal
    12 days ago

I would do the above also.

• nelliebean
    12 days ago

If it's open on the other side, can the table move over a bit? Could you use your existing sideboard and put two china cabinets on either side of it to mimic your inspiration photo? I think only one wall should have something on it - so either the end wall or side wall, but not both.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

Curio for what purpose . I love long low buffts and large art in a space with that table and chairs . Unless you have fabulous items (not china) thay need to be displayed I would not do a china cabinet either .

• Jennz9b
    11 days ago

what are the dimensions of the room and the table?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 days ago

It's not the length of the wall that is at issue; the width of the room is crucial. Also we cannot see how this room relates to the rest of the house. Your living room is very nice, BTW.

Post a plan with all dimensions and adjacencies to get better advice.

• Chandra C
    Original Author
    7 days ago

UPDATE:
    The rug is probably too small (8x10) but it’s the closest I could find until I find the perfect one.

Now on to finding a lighting fixture and a large mirror for the wall with the credenza.

To answer the questions: I have a lot of inherited and bespoke pieces that I needed storage for, hence the need for storage.
    The middle table is just a place holder, as is the Missoni vase. Once I find the right pieces, I will continue to add to the room.

• shirlpp
    6 days ago

Not sure why you'd replace the artwork with a mirror. What you have looks fine.

• Design Fan
    6 days ago

I like the addition of black in your dining room.

Is your newest picture photoshopped or were you able to get the black cabinets actually delivered in the 6 days since you started this thread?

• Chandra C
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@DesignFan - I was very lucky and my local Sam’s Club happened to have them in stock. I immediately ordered them for $599 each which is a better price than anywhere else and we picked them up and put them together. The table in between is something my husband saw on the side of the road, he cleaned it up, painted the top black and lacquered it about a month ago and I didn’t know what its use would be but decided it would work there for now. The art on the wall and the rug are from Home Goods and the rest were items I already had which was why I needed the storage in the first place.

• Chandra C
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@shirlpp - the mirror will be for the short credenza that has the two cream colored lamps in the original photos, not to replace the art

• dani_m08
    2 days ago

How much space is there between the dining chairs and the new black cabinets?

• hbeing
    2 days ago

those 2 furniture ideas seem way to wide for the DR space. Or did I miss a wall in there?