Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knitsewoften

Thoughts on a white Roof?

knitsewoften
13 days ago

We are renovating a ranch house in the country and I’m dreaming of a cottage look with a white roof, like this picture. Our roof has a very low 3/12 pitch and I think a lighter color will help create the illusion of height.

My only worries are, will a white roof look noticeably dirty? I was going to go with Alamo white which is more of an off white/pale gray so it wont be stark. I’ve also heard it mentioned that snow won’t melt off as easily. But honestly, we have a dark maroon metal roof on our current home and the snow doesn't melt fast either. It sits for days and then falls off in sheets.

Anyone with a white roof? Pros, cons? My next choice is gray, but I’d really love white if it’s not too high maintenance.

Comments (16)

• Andee
    13 days ago

I think your fears of it looking dirty are real. Even if you don't have a lot of dirt or mold or moss or twigs or leaves adhering there, how can a white anything not look dirty? And I think you will always be aware of the dirt/dust whatever that will naturally congregate next to those nice ridges.

And as I write this, I am aware of my white metal downspouts and gutters which after this winter have a lot of dark gunk in the many crevices formed as it comes down off the roof. And if you have white siding or know someone who does, go look at that.

Before you decide, look at that beautiful house after a year or two.

• jck910
    13 days ago

I have Owens Corning shasta white asphalt shingles. They are very light but being asphalt they don't show the dirt like a metal roof would.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

If you're looking to save money and have a light roof, consider corrugated metal panels. Not many people use them so you're not going to find them at HD or Lowes, but they repel hail, have almost no maintenance and are inexpensive.

• Lyn Nielson
    13 days ago

I would do it! it is better for sunlight reflection (heat) too. AC costs are higher than heating.

Better than a dark roof with Bird Poop on it.

knitsewoften thanked Lyn Nielson
  • mcarroll16
    13 days ago

We put a white PVC roof on our house last summer. So far it looks fine. And we have an up-close view of the first floor eaves from the second-floor windows. Since a roof needs to be cleaned annually anyway, I think it should continue to look good.

We chose white to keep the house cooler in the summer. But I love your picture of a white house with a white roof. I've been thinking of painting the whole house white in a few years. Your picture has me more convinced.

knitsewoften thanked mcarroll16
  • elcieg
    13 days ago
    1. Yes, it is going to get gunky, but all roofs get gunky. You say it is a low roof, so just hit it with a power washer (which isn't advised for shingled roofs). Great look.
    knitsewoften thanked elcieg
  • richfield95
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I think a light colored roof is more practical than black. I dont understand the people who build ginourmous homes in the south with black roofs. Heat load is real.

But look for light gray or beige, not pure white. it will look lighter once installed.

knitsewoften thanked richfield95
  • vinmarks
    13 days ago

Roofs need to be cleaned annually? Since when? I have never cleaned my roof nor have I ever seen anyone clean a roof in the neighborhoods I have lived in.

• mcarroll16
    13 days ago

It probably depends on your climate--moss is a problem where we live.

• PRO
    AiFL
    13 days ago

I have my roof cleaned twice a year when the gutters are cleaned (and by cleaned, I mean swept free of debris and they do a quick survey to make sure everything looks okay). But I’ve a white roof too, and it never looks particularly gunky as you aren’t ever up close at eye level with it.

• jackowskib
    12 days ago

I think looking dirty is in the eye of the beholder. Even our white vinyl fence looks great from a distance, but up close I know when it's time to give it a good wash. Same likely goes for the roof you're considering.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

You never sweep a hhingle roof and a white metal roof I guess can be washed when dirty si if you love it do it.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

All roofs get dirty. A roof with a 3:12 pitch (unlike the roof in your pic which is much steeper) will not really be seen unless you are far away from the house, and I would bet that you will be the only one to see the dirt. White or a light color will reflect sunlight better than darker roofs and decrease your A/C costs. And clean it when necessary, just like any other roof.

knitsewoften thanked RappArchitecture
  • knitsewoften
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@Norwood Architects thanks so much for this suggestion! I looked through the swatches from my builder, it was there and I LOVE it! I don’t know how I missed it before. I guess I was stuck on the white/grays and never looked at the metallics because I knew I didn’t want regular galvanized. But this is perfect!

It really checks all my boxes because it’s a really light silver that can appear almost white in daylight but it still has some visual interest and looks like it will conceal dirt at least a little better, like you said. It also doesn't seem to have the glare I worried galvanized would.

Also, I just asked someone with a roof I liked what they used and they said Galvalume! I added a pic of their roof below. Definitely the look I wanted!

• knitsewoften
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@RappArchitecture you are right, it really isn’t all that easy to see up close. In addition to the benefits you mentioned, I’m also hoping to create the illusion of a little more height with a lighter roof. Right now it has a black roof and it really weighs it down.

I’m strongly leaning toward Galvalume that’s been suggested now. I found it’s what someone in one of my inspiration pictures (below) used and I feel like it is light but still gives it a little visual interest

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations