Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_802224546

help with exterior colors and siding

HU-802224546
9 days ago

Help me before I pull the trigger on the siding order. This is our 1950s ranch, half the house in the back has asbestos siding and the garage has cheap vinyl that is broken all over. The front is mostly brick with some old plywood siding around the porch windows and front door. Our windows and garage door are all new. We only have the siding, soffits, gutter and front door left. I am thinking of doing all the asbestos and vinyl siding in the color flint 5” double lap vinyl siding from Georgia pacific. And not sure what to do with the area on the porch maybe something cedar or board and batten? Like the inspiration picture (I know it’s not the same style house). I have no idea for the front door, but our house is west facing and the black is impossibly hot in the summer. I thought about lime washing the brick to brighten it but not 100% on that (included a close up of the brick). I like the idea of black gutters and soffits. A house in a few neighborhoods over has cedar looking fascia and I love the look but just not sure if it will look ok or if I’m throwing too much at the house. The front iron posts will be replaced with 6x6 cedar, and we are putting in a new paver walkway so our porch can be used as an actual porch. My first plan was to do white siding and black everywhere else, but I feel like this has been overdone so much lately plus I don’t want to have to keep white siding clean 🤣. Anyone have suggestions?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Your inspo pic is nothing like your house so look at 50's ranch makeovers to get some more ideal choices . I love the brick it is so much a part of that style . This is one of my faves for inspiration I love the siding color the door the garage door and for sure the landscaping will totally change how your home looks Please do not try to make it something it is not

• HU-802224546
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I know it’s no where near the same style, I was just saying color wise. When I look at 50s ranch make overs it’s either mid century like this one posted which isn’t the same style I don’t think. Or people redoing them to be more farmhouse. I guess I’m just trying to modernize it to a certain degree but still have a nice look to our neighborhood.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 days ago

The color for the siding needs to work with the brick you have so find that color and paint the siding then get to work on the landscaping . DO NOT paint the brick it is the best thing on the house .If you do not like MCM style then you are going to have to spend huge $$$$$$$ to get something different .

• tracefloyd
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

You could match the siding to the brick for a monochromatic scheme.

The wood posts add a touch of contrast...nice.

The gutters in black add a nice horizontal line.

Soffits and downspouts in the body color.

Increase the size of the planting bed to include the lamp post. Add some stepping stones through there...where is the front walk?

This is a concept, my software is not great at exact colors.

• Lyn Nielson
    8 days ago

I'd keep the siding and the brick the same tone... the house is too small to cut it up with different colors, keep it unified, even the trim the same color for a more elegant appearance.

try a sample of BM edgecomb gray or SW Taupe of the Morning as a starter and see the color...

• HU-802224546
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Tracefloyd where you drew the bed line is close to where the new walkway is, the lamp is removed as it no longer worked anyways. We are also extending the bed on the other side of the new walkway. The color you choose is actually pretty nice and I agree that the breakup with the black gutters to give that line. Now to try and find a siding to match 🤣. Here is a view of the walkway being dug from the front porch. We are gonna take the bed on the left here to the walkway. And extend the right side out some more also. Landscaping is a huge project also, just needing to get the siding decided so we can get that replaced and start the fence replacement 😮‍💨.

• tracefloyd
    8 days ago

Awesome. For the siding color, I used the eyedropper tool selected on a slightly darker tone from the brick area. The brick facade will feel fresher by contrast, don't you think?

• tracefloyd
    7 days ago

Remember you take take a piece of your siding to the paint store and they can match it.