Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littleetoile

Are Marvin windows hard to open?

littleetoile
4 months ago

Hi there! I am adding in a brand new window (i.e., cutting into the siding) as part of my kitchen renovation. My designer recommended Marvin windows, and strongly encouraged me to not do vinyl windows even though the rest of the house has vinyl (pre-existing from when I bought the house).

I went to a local building supplier to try the floor models of the Marvin windows and I was shocked and heartbroken by how hard they are to open. I’m a petite woman, and I was having to use both hands and really put my full weight into opening both the fiberglass gliders and the double-hung. (Obviously the casements were easy, but those require internal screens and I’d like to avoid that unsightliness if I can.) There’s no way I’ll be able to lean across the counter to fully open either of these styles. Eeks!

I’m confused because Marvin windows seem to be best-in-class, and all the discussions of them on here have glowing reviews and recommendations. Yet the only time I’ve had such difficulty opening windows are in old homes where the framing is no longer in line with the tracks of the windows!

So, my questions:

1) Where’s the disconnect beteeen the normal high marks for Marvin against what I experienced? Is it possible the floor models were installed in a weird way that makes them especially hard to open? (They were functioning as internally-facing windows of employees offices, if that’s helpful to know.) Or that these office floor-model windows are not opened regularly enough that they’re broken in or something? Seems like if anything, floor models should be the EASIEST to open!

For those that have Marvin windows installed in your home, do you find them easy to open?

2) Since the install makes such a difference, any recs for what to ask/look out for with potential installers to determine if they’ll do a good job? I’m a bit in over my head here!

3) Lastly, should I be concerned about the sash of the pre-existing vinyl window in my kitchen on the adjoining wall not color-matching the fiberglass window? The Marvin rep said the vinyl window sashes are always a bright white, whereas the fiberglass windows are more off-white.

Thanks so, so much in advance! This forum is so incredibly helpful!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 months ago

I would check with the supplier. Are Marvins, more or less, harder to open than other window...no. That said, I don't have the context of what kind of force you are applying vs. what I might apply. That said, there are industry standards for amounts of force a manufacturer cannot exceed. Sounds to me like maybe the model windows have been a bit rough used and are having some issues.

littleetoile thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 months ago

I have a house full of Marvin windows; were installed by previous owner shortly before I moved in. I don't find them hard to open but I have to say for all the hype I am not impressed, nor happy with them. They are drafty -- which I know can at least in part be due to poor installation, but the glass itself gets condensation badly on some of the windows and is often cold to the touch. I really don't like that there is not a locking mechanism to prevent someone from walking right up to them and sliding open the screen to get entry into the house; this is an issue for me because I like to have my windows open in spring through fall for the fresh air. The screens are for sh*t -- the frames bend out of shape easily (removed for cleaning) and the screen material rips and tears easily.

So no, I would NOT recommend Marvin windows. I had vinyl replacement windows in my other house that were much less expensive and outperformed these Marvins in every way (and had a lock-stop mechanism so yes they do exist). Even though they're not that old, I do plan to replace them someday when funds allow.

littleetoile thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • littleetoile
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Windows on Washington Ltd Thanks! When you say check with the manufacturer, what exactly am I asking them? How hard it is to open? They’re likely to say their windows are easy, right? Haha

Also, as a pro, any tips on my other two questions in my post, especially about how to determine if an installer will do a good job?

• littleetoile
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@mxk3 z5b_MI Wow, I didn’t realize there isn’t a locking mechanism. That’s discouraging, and surprising!

Also sad to hear about the screens, since as a solution I am considering just doing casement, and only putting the screens on and off as needed. Sounds like that could prove problematic.

What was the manufacturer of the vinyl windows you mentioned?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 months ago

"What was the manufacturer of the vinyl windows you mentioned?"

Wallside Windows. They are based in Michigan; I don't know if they are available in other states.

littleetoile thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • chicagoans
    4 months ago

re: screens: Like you, I prefer screens outside of windows. However I have two new large (60x54) Marvin awning windows that require screens to be on the inside (since they open out.) The screens on ours are called 'Bright View' and they are very unobtrusive -- much less visible than old school black screens IMO.

littleetoile thanked chicagoans
  • mcarroll16
    4 months ago

Yes, Marvin windows open less easily than some others! I noticed this visiting a local showroom that had Marvin and Milgard sliders on display. The Milgard opened much easier--Milgard uses rollers, Marvin doesn't. We ultimately went with a Marvin fiberglass slider for our kitchen remodel, despite this difference. The Milgard just seemed overall flimsier. Now that the window is installed, it's really not difficult to open it, even leaning over the counter. And our window does have a lock. That was an option on every Marvin model we looked at.

littleetoile thanked mcarroll16
  • Iri
    4 months ago

I have a Marvin window in a shower and it does have a lock. It is hard for ME to open because it's very high and I can't get a good angle.

Being short, you are going to have trouble with almost anything over a counter. Be sure you stand back 2 feet when you test anything out in a show room. I'd get a casement with the best screen available if I wanted to open it. Otherwise, just get one that is non-operable (but what fun is that?).

littleetoile thanked Iri
  • mcarroll16
    4 months ago

Casement with retractable screen?

littleetoile thanked mcarroll16
  • Iri
    4 months ago

Or only put up the screen in mosquito season?

littleetoile thanked Iri
  • dan1888
    4 months ago

The material used for the screen has an impact on how much view they block. Aluminum and fiberglass require larger diameter wire to work. Stainless-steel wire is stronger and can be smaller diameter. And that's why they're less noticeable. Go with casement and stainless-steel screens.

• mcarroll16
    4 months ago

@Iri what about flies?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

There are valid reason to use vinyl, wood, and fg windows, each has pros and cons. Based on the fact that you have vinyl windows throughout the rest of your home, I don't see a strong reason to do something different here.

The marvins will indeed have a richer look and feel, and they are very well made, however they are far from "best in class" when it comes to thermal and structural performance.

In addition, at the end of the day, they/it will look different from the others, likely cost more, and you don't seem to like the operation (while I wouldn't call them difficult to operate they can feel a little "stiffer").

A high quality vinyl window that offers a closer match to the rest of your home, superior performance, possibly easier/smoother operation, and saves a few bucks sounds like a logical choice in your circumstance unless there is some other relevant info that has yet to be shared.

• mcarroll16
    4 months ago

Just noticed your question about window color. Our Marvin fiberglass window seems pretty white to me. Our window trim is Benjamin Moore "White," OC 151, and the window blends in very well.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 months ago

Over a counter you always want casements- any double hung is too hard to lift while leaning forward. It’s just awkward. As others have said the new screens are less noticeable, and being on the inside they stay cleaner too. (I also hate the way screens look!)

• Iri
    3 months ago

Technically mosquitoes are flies. Anyway, a screen only needs to be in place during the time of year the window will be opened if you really don't like them.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    13 days ago

Marvin Is TRASH 7 windows 1 patio door Cracks/Flaking with eighty days. Warranty C R A P just like product.

• theresa21
    13 days ago

I have Marvin from different eras, some are more than 10 yrs old, 5 years ago, and some are from 2 years ago. All are functioning great with no issues whatsoever. All of mine are fiberglass. I have three patio door sliders, two double hung and three casements. They don't seem cold in winter and are far warmer than my previous windows and patio doors. I have to leave the solar shades open a few inches on the bottom for air circulation to mitigate condensation--either that or I'd have to lower the humidity in the house, which I don't want to do. I really love the casement windows the best because they let in a lot of the view and cooling breezes and I don't notice the screens.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    12 days ago

Chispa is a paid Promoter upset because of my comments and pictures on multiple Marvin product discussions. Trust me and my pics dig deep Marvin Self hype and NO negative comments on any of their product videos ??? keep scrolling down past all on YouTube you will see others with similar recent problems. Who gets upset and says someone is taking over others discussions threads because .I. post my experience. That does not make me a competitor. I gave Marvin and installer over a whole year Marvin came out 2 times each time for less 4.5 hours and now "waiting for my descion".

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    12 days ago

"Chispa is a paid Promoter upset because of my comments and pictures on multiple Marvin product discussions."

Chispa is not a paid promoter, she is a long-time contributor to these boards and a valued member here.

But hey, I hear you -- I think my Marvins are lousy windows.

• cat_ky
    12 days ago

No, Chispa is not a paid promotor. She has been on this board for years.

However, back to op. I would do vinyl like you already have. Why would you want a different type of windows on part of the house, than you have on the rest of the house. Keep your windows very similar to what you have. I noticed, you said the designer wanted a different type. Why would a designer want your windows to look different than what you already have. I would insist on windows that match the ones you already have.

• BlueBlob Gaming
    4 days ago

Here's another reason you might not be seeing so many low reviews. I put in this review on 04/18/24 for Alexander Companay in Burlingame Ca it is still not up and viewable. Nothing that violates terms just a 1 star but still not up.