Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattm

Need some help on counter tops for kitchen

pattm
11 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

I have a gallery style kitchen. One side will have sink, cabinet, refrigerator. This side will have white oak cabinets - upper and lower. There is an opening in the wall by the refrigerator and then there will be a buffet with upper and lower cabinets approx 66 inches long.

Across from this will be a walnut peninsula with built in over and microwave and gas stove top. The counter top is 12 feet long. At the end of the peninsula will be a round counter that people can sit at and visit with the cook.

I was all set to go with porcelain but just found out that porcelain won't work with a round application because you can get a finished edge. I've been considering Taj Mahal - quantize and quartz from cambria - specifically berkshire brass satin ridge or windsor brass satin ridge. My door handles will be a combination of gold and silver.

I am wondering what advice you have for me. I wanted something that looked more natural as far as the streaking goes... so

I'm not sure about the cambria products but the Taj Mahal seems like it might be too tame. I wanted something a bit more dramatic. My overall look is "resort sheik" and "eclectic ".

Comments (13)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

It is not a peninsula, it's an island with a cooker that WILL definitely have a seam and seems to have no venting ?!

Does not look like an optimal layout - hard to comment from that and no dimensions to anything.

show the 2d cabinet plan with all walls , feet and inches

• pattm
    Original Author
    10 days ago

thank you Jan.... but this is NOT an island. There is a cabinet on the left side of the cook top... that cabinet houses the oven and the microwave. There is a vent...It will be in the ceiling. My space is small so this is a good design for my space. I can't change the design at this point anyway. I am looking for ideas/comments on the counter top.

Thank you for commenting.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    10 days ago

All your selections sound fine but you’ve only shown one of the options and nothing of the kitchen finishes like flooring, cabinets, etc. Based on product alone Cambria is a good product with great customer service. Quartzite like Taj Mahal is a beautiful natural product with all the positives and negatives that come with that. I would use one counter material for the whole kitchen…

• elcieg
    10 days ago

There is white oak and then there is white oak. Same with the walnut choice. So many finishes. Would you post samples of both? But for now, I suggest a warmer color vein with all the wood.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 days ago

I would stick to one cabinet wood for a small galley kitchen. Use either the oak or the walnut but not both.

Also, if you want drama, select a really special natural stone. Those heavily veined quartz materials are so fake looking and are not going to age well.

• kandrewspa
    9 days ago

Since we don't know exactly what the wood finish looks like it's hard to comment. We don't know what your floors look like either. Taj Majal is very popular, but just because a lot of people like it doesn't necessarily mean it will be the right choice for you. It sounds like you're looking for something more unique. There must be more options where you saw the Taj Mahal that you can consider. KItchens usually look best if there is only one star - so if you go with a statement countertop, keep everything else simple. You can always go with a plainer counter and have a dramatic backsplash. It's easier to change a backsplash if you get tired of it.

pattm thanked kandrewspa
  • pattm
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I have posted a picture of my cabinets and a rendering of what the counter top will look like. Mine will be longer and there will be a stove top in it, but you can see the round element. I will use a very basic backsplish or if there is enough I will use the same slab. There is very little backsplash since there are only cabinets with uppers on one side. I have not yet picked out the floor. That will come after I pick out the counter top. Do you have a recommendation for a slab other than porcelain that you think I should look at? I am looking for a wow factor.

thank you all for your comments.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 days ago

If you really want a wow factor, nothing beats Mother Nature and a beautiful granite.

So many amazing colors to choose from.

I like Cambria a lot and I like engineered stone tops, but I do not care for their attempts at bold designs. They just leave me flat. I understand quartzite is all the rage but I keep hearing so many negatives that I don't think I would risk my hard earned dollars on it.

I would get to a granite supply yard so you can really see what's out there.

• pattm
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thank you Debbie. what are the negatives you hear about quartzite?

• Janet D
    9 days ago

I had Taj Mahal quartzite with a matte finish in my kitchen around the perimeter. My sister has it polished in her kitchen. Nothing beats it. Absolutely beautiful. I def prefer the matte finish. Stood up to anything. Would look lovely with your cabinets. On the island, we had soapstone, and while I loved it when it was just oiled, it did show scratches, water marks, ….

pattm thanked Janet D
  • pattm
    Original Author
    9 days ago

janet what color are your perimeter cabinets? could you post a picture?

thank you

• chispa
    9 days ago

I used Taj Mahal quartzite in 2 kitchens, one fireplace surround and one outdoor kitchen. No issues with any of those 9 Taj Mahal slabs purchased years apart in 2 different states. Ive been reading these forums for years and in that time we've only had one person (out of hundreds) that had issues with their TM counters.