Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demarco_lockhart15

kitchen Remodel Dilemma: Quartz backsplash and tile on other side

Demarco L
17 days ago

We're renovating our galley kitchen and will have leftover Quartz from the countertops. We plan to continue Quartz on one wall (stove side) but don’t have enough material for the other side without buying another slab. Would it be unwise to use tile for the backsplash on the other side? I have some pictures of the kitchen and backsplash combinations I'm considering. Please share your thoughts. As a side note, the walls will be painted alabaster, and the cabinets will also be white. Our style is a blend of organic modern, natural wood pieces,and neutrals, with a hint of blue from my wife’s KitchenAid, if that helps visualize the overall look.

Comments (11)

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Some other backsplashes I’m considering

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    17 days ago

These will be new cabinets

• artemis78
    17 days ago

I would use a tile backsplash throughout--you can't put quartz as a backsplash behind a stove anyway, and using a partial quartz backsplash with tile in other areas sounds like it would be tricky to pull off well. Also consider the thickness of quartz if you'd be using leftover pieces from a counter slab--may not be the best fit for a backsplash.

• jackowskib
    16 days ago

I would want same backsplash for the aesthetic of the galley. It would be different if it was a stand alone alcove of sorts to pull off a different look, but it's not what you have. Backsplash isn't selected until after cabinets/counter has been installed anyway.

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

I wish I could see your kitchen... The counters are bit busy right now and it is hard for me to visualize the beauty under it all. What is on the other side? Is it an island? Or another wall?

When I look at what you have my personal feeling is to go as simple, clean, fresh and plain as possible. Tiles matching your cabinet in color and tone. Tile along that galley wall under the cabinets to the sink.

I would not use the slab as backsplash, I know, it seems like you paid so much for the slab of quartz and it feels like a terrible waste. It is not. Waste is part of the entire process. Like wallpaper or drawer lining paper or material for a slacks, There is always left over that can't really be used. If you must use the left over piece, maybe a garage counter or laundry room counter or donate it to Habitat for Humanity. Accept this loss and focus on finding the right tile for you soon to be beautiful galley kitchen.

If you have not picked and bought the slabs.. I would consider using a slab backsplash with another material. I did it and love it in my own kitchen.

On another note.. are you putting in new cabinets? The ones you have look new but it is hard to tell with the photo.

This is not your color but something really simple like this...

| garden home | · More Info

Lake Oswego Condo Kitchen, Bath, & More! · More Info

Becki Owens white tile backsplash

Porcelain tile backsplash

A Clean Slate in Naperville, IL · More Info

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    16 days ago

I would also recommend using a tile backsplash in the entire kitchen, in the interest of cohesion.

I had a similar situation with marble tile when I renovated my master bathroom. Lots of extra 12x12 tiles. We saved it and then used it for the floor of a new powder room. You could save the quartz and use it in a bathroom/laundry room/basement worktop, etc. You never know when it will become useful.

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@boxerpal here is a close up of the sink side of kitchen

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    16 days ago

Don't mix it...tile all! It will look hodge-podged! Especially if it's a galley kitchen.

Use the leftover materials in bathrooms, laundry, basement or wherever? Just don't be surprised how $ it is to fabricate.

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks all we will go with tiles on both sides

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

No quartz behind a range ever so simple all tile .Please use the DW before taking pics .

• acm
    9 days ago

oh, relax, Patricia.

but... where is a picture of the quartz? this seems like a hopeless question without it!!