Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bianko

Not enough bathroom storage. Ideas?

Biko Tee
14 days ago

This is my bathroom layout, just wondering how we can add more storage?

After living there a few weeks, I feel we at least need laundry basket and more drawers.

I was thinking in front of the toilet, however on that wall we've since added a double towel rail.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

You can either install a wall hung cabinet with space below for baskets or a floor supported cabinet for storage depending on the style of the items in your bathroom.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Over the toilet and on the wall opposite the toilet. This is why double sinks are a bad.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

I do not like dirty laundry in my bathroom and a nice hotel type wall mounted rack can let you add some towels easily I need an actual picture oof the whole space to really help. I have found most people have way too much stuff in bathrooms that could easily be stored someehwere else Post the pics here in comments DO NOT start another post.

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I'm starting to see why double sinks aren't that great but at the same time, it is a bit of luxury and kind of worked with the space. I think it would have looked odd with a single sink.

Above the vanity basins is just Ikea mirrors. No space for storage as there's a window extremely close to the left mirror.

Leaning towards the baskets under the vanity though I assume I'll have to move them often when I clean.

• la_la Girl
    10 days ago

If it were me, I would give up the towel bar for the cabinet ideas given above -

• Biko Tee
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Would agree, then no space for towels...

• deb s
    10 days ago

What is adjacent to the bathroom walls can you break into that space and install a cabinet? I would see if a 12" deep cabinet could fit into wall across from the toilet. Worst case build some niche into that wall and do cute baskets

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 days ago

Double sinks are a luxury when 2 people use the sinks at the same time several times a week. In your case, you wanted something that should look great but it’s not functional, with stuff stored on the countertop and beneath the vanity, so it’s not even a luxury. Some hotel bathrooms are like that. I guess they are easy to clean once the guest moves out.

• Iris Graeber
    10 days ago

I hung a kitchen-type cabinet over my toilet. Only thing if you do that make sure you have room to scrub out the top toilet tank, so plenty of clearance. Then, before you rummage in the cabinet, shut the toilet lid just in case something decides to jump into the toilet. You can also buy little plastic baskets at dollar tree (take a tape measure in your purse). When you need something, bring the basket down, get what you need, and put the basket back. With kids, that's definitely a good plan.

• acm
    10 days ago

Can you put the hamper somewhere in your bedroom? Then you could use that wall for a cabinet above the towel rods.

Wall-Mounted Bathroom Organizer · More Info

Alternatively, you could switch from a bar to hooks, allowing for a tall cabinet, or shift the towels over and add a corner organizer for more storage.

TATEUS 32" Bathroom/Office Tall Storage Cabinet With Doors and 3 Drawers, White · More Info

Savannah Storage Cabinet White · More Info

Swivel Storage Tower Cabinet Organizer Linen Full Length Mirror 6 ShelvES, Black and Bamboo · More Info

Biarritz Bathroom Column, Natural Oak · More Info

Wooden Bathroom Cabinet Linen Tower White · More Info

Fresca Torino Tall Bathroom Linen Side Cabinet, Light Oak · More Info

Also also, you could put a slimmer cabinet over the toilet...

Bliss 14"Wx24"H Linen Side Cabinet, 2 Door, High Gloss White · More Info

Costway Multipurpose Mount Wall Surface Bathroom Storage Cabinet Mirror · More Info

You could also replace the Ikea mirrors with Ikea medicine cabinets, which hold a lot, freeing up the drawers for larger things... As for under the vanity, if you have to put stuff there, get some white plastic bins with lids -- Ikea has them in lots of sizes -- which will keep the water and dust out.

• k8cd
    10 days ago

If you use baskets under the vanity, use large ones so there are only 2 things to move when cleaning. Look for baskets on casters so they are easy to move. And that will keep them off the floor and out of any spilled water.

If you use a cabinet across from the toilet, add hooks to the side or even front to hang towels.

I am not a fan of laundry baskets in bathrooms because of the humidity. Perpetually damp clothes in a pile. Ick.

• bpath
    10 days ago

If you use baskets under the sink, they should be lined and lidded. Everything that you sweep up from the floor can also get into the baskets. And put glides or something under them, so they are easy to slide out. What would you keep in them?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths