Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nrgt

8 foot doors and over-the-door racks

Nadine Taylor
16 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

I have 8 foot doors throughout my home I am struggling finding some sort of rack that I can use over the door that would allow me to hang a bath robe or item of clothing. I would think the rack woild have to extend by at least 2 feet to be accessible.. Has anyone had any success finding something?

Comments (27)

• Molly D. Zone4B
    16 days ago

I have 8ft. doors and used hardware that matched the other hardware in the room. Robe hook….Could you do that?

• Nadine Taylor
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks Molly. Maybe I’m not explaining this properly - because the doors are so tall I need some sort of rack that would extend a couple feet to make it reachable. Are you suggesting I just get a single hook that I can place anywhere on the door?

• palimpsest
    16 days ago

Yes don't hang racks over the doors. Install hooks or bars on the door. The racks say "temporary solution in a rental property " in my opinion.

• Nadine Taylor
    Original Author
    16 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Thanks. I was trying not to ”install” hardware and not put holes in the door. That may be my only option though. Thanks J Mig - I thought about a wreath hannger - that would allow me to see if this is how I truly want to use the space. Arcw-gw I have looked on Amazon, etsy, Home Depot, Lowes Lowes, Walmart and certainly googled it. I couldn’t find one that’s why I posted here. Can you share a link?

• J Mig
    16 days ago

Wreath hooks.

• Jennifer Hogan
    15 days ago

I had over the door hooks in my bathroom years ago and had the same thought - didn't want to put holes in the doors. It caused damage to the door and frame as it rubbed and moved every time the door was opened and closed. I would never use one again.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

Heavens

Put a couple command hooks on there

• arcy_gw
    15 days ago

I have one. I use it when company is coming and we need more towel racks where most people shower. Google it--there are scads of them.

• Lorraine Leroux
    15 days ago

Install the hooks into the wall behind the door rather than on the door and make sure you have a door stop that suits.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

Put the hooks on the wall behind the door at the proper height . Or do what we do anf bring our bathrobes with us for the times we want to use them . Is this a main bathroom or for guests?

• chispa
    15 days ago

All my bathroom doors and closet doors had towel hooks (that match the door hardware or bathroom hardware) installed on the inside. I have always had hooks installed on doors in every house I have owned and I have never had an issues with them. All my doors have been good quality wood/solid core doors.

8 ft closet door with basic Emtek hook. The master bath has a double hook that matches the Brizo Levoir fixtures.

Nadine Taylor thanked chispa
  • AnnKH
    15 days ago

My son's apartment had a hook that fit onto the door hinge.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    15 days ago

Over The Door Hooks 3-Piece Door Hanger Set for Clothing and Accessories, White · More Info

Over the Door Organizer 6-Tier Adjustable Pantry Shelves and Rack · More Info

If you have a local Container Store or Bed, Bath, and Beyond, you can find door hanger hooks or shelves.

Nadine Taylor thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    15 days ago

Christmas wreath hangars! I had 8' doors in my old condo and wanted over-the-door hooks for robes or towels, and that was the solution that worked perfectly for me. The length is adjustable, they're inexpensive, and they're not unattractive. Some of them extend up to 2'.

Nadine Taylor thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Nadine Taylor
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks Sabrina - for the 3-pack of hooks the longest one is 7 inches which I won’t be able to reach. I appreciate the picture of the adjustable shelves but I was really looking for hooks to use for an occasional t-shirt, robe, etc. Thanks though for the suggestions and more importantly for the attached photos.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

Truly......this is not that hard. Line up command hooks in a row. Use heavy duty, and they can be removed with no damage.

Over the door hangers are a pain! The door may not fully close, the door may be scratched on one or both sides.

A command.....

Or show this situation in a picture, where you have not. one. inch. of. wall. for a hook you can reach

• palimpsest
    15 days ago

I don't understand the hesitancy to do something permanent in a house you own rather than rent?

I know someone who didn't want to drill a hole in the tile in their new bathroom to put up a shower rod, so for years they dealt with a spring loaded shower rod that was often not level and would sometimes fall down when someone tried to pull the shower curtain the "wrong" way.

• Jennz9b
    15 days ago

Command hooks is the best idea!

• BPMBA
    14 days ago

Agree, command hooks are the answer, since you can stick them at whatever height you want.

• jackowskib
    14 days ago

Command hooks are great and they look finished. I even have one on our glass shower wall to stage a towel when using the shower.

• chispa
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Pal, they must be the same people who are afraid to put nail holes in new homes or newly painted walls, so they live for years with nothing on their walls!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago

O.P has left the building, but my guess? Is an engineer. : ) or married to one or the doors lead to brick and stone rooms.

• Nadine Taylor
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Jan Moyer - iI havent left the building. I’ve commented and thanked those that provided useful information

• palimpsest
    13 days ago

I completely understand the not making the first hole fear. I propped all artwork rather than hanging it in my first house.

But a hook or towel bar needed for function is something where I would bite the bullet but install permanently.

• Paul F.
    13 days ago

I used these door stops/ Robe hooks... a twofer.

Nadine Taylor thanked Paul F.
  • Fun2BHere
    12 days ago

Command makes some attractive metal hooks now. That’s what I used on the back of my closet door to hold my nightgown and robe. It works great.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!