Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanda3464

Organization Help!

Amanda Spears
last month

So the shirt version is that the first floor of my house i have dedicated to my sales from poshmark/ebay/Mercari etc. I initially wanted it to be easy to transform into a guest room - but now i don’t really care. I’ve realized that i get so overwhelmed in this house, so i turn everything into a “more digestible” project….& now that’s what i have here….100 small projects that are not linked into a bigger overall picture. I know i have a lot of space and just want to start utilizing it more efficiently - i know it’s possible to stay organized and functional at the same time! I just really need some help from others who that can see the bigger picture or have been down this road?! Any advice is v appreciated….& if possible, excuse the random zebra rug between rooms 1 and 2. 😬 i did my best to explain anything that wasn’t super obvious!

Comments (6)

• Amanda Spears
    Original Author
    last month

Cont.

• Amanda Spears
    Original Author
    last month

3/3

• amystoller
    last month

If you need help organizing, you can go the DIY route with books and videos, or you can hire a professional organizer to help you. I’ve done both. I’m very proud of what I did the first way, and I learned a lot that has stood me in good stead. But also took two years to get my home in order. With the help of a personal organizer, it would likely have taken less than a month; maybe only a couple of weeks. And the organizer didn’t make decisions for me. She made it easy for me to make my own decisions. Which do you need to save more of: Money? Or time?

• HU-663337853
    yesterday

Hello, please take a look at some useful tips on this blog - https://homeandother.com/2024/04/03/home-organization-guide/

• Kendrah
    yesterday

Thirty years ago my boyfriend and I ran a thriving clothing and jewelry import business out of his home. Things were very different back then because there were no influencers who were also ad money off of showing you how cute their home office and workspaces were. We were serious about our business and made a serious lot of money.

1. Ask yourself if this is a hobby or if you are serious about making money from this. If you are serious about making money, what space and aesthetic sacrifices are you willing to make?

2. Ask whether these rooms in your home are the best to use. We took over the dining room for our office and inventory. We were fine eating in the living room. Ours was not a side business. We had two extra bedrooms upstairs but they were not nearly as functional as a bigger dining room.

3. Your pictures make it look like you are trying to make a cute, aesthetically pleasing at-home inventory room and photo shoot space. Stop. Forget what this space looks like - color, finishes, patterns, rugs.

4. I don't understand whether your furniture is for photoshoots or if you are storing business things in the end tables next to your sofa. What is prop and what is your home furniture?

5. Clear out a big space for you to work in, store inventory, and store supplies. Make a big list of all of the supplies you need to run your business. Start to think about how you can best physically organize these in the space. And don't think about what it looks like but how it will all function.

Is it easier to work on a big work table - folding table, big piece of plywood over file drawers that can be used for storage, use wire racks from restaurant supply places?

We made an entire wall of these cubby cubes. Folded inventory fit well in them and was totally visible. If we need to put bins inside of these openings, they were clear bins with lids so we could see the contents. Lids helped cut down on dust.

Wire cubbies

Wire shelves

Get other more open shelves that you can lay your flat boxes down on. Use one shelf for packing bubbles. Cheap laundry baskets make good bins for large supples like bubbles, scores of padded mailers, tissue paper.

Look on craiglist and facebook market place for used shelving.

If you are working alone on this business, then nobody but you needs a place to sit in this workspace.

How are backdrops best stored? Rolled up as tubes, or hung on some kind of rack?

Is any of this useful or helpful? I hope so!