Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monzkale

window solution for arch above front door

monzkale
18 days ago

Hi, I am looking for window covering solution for the arch above the front door for privacy reasons. My preference is washable rod pocket curtains over flexible rods or something similar. I am aware of honeycomb and polyester options —for now those are backup options. Please share recommendations. Picture of solutions are highly encouraged.

Comments (26)

• Paul F.
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

vinyl window decals? Lots of interesting films.

• shirlpp
    18 days ago

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but whose going to see anything in your home from the arch above the front door. I'd be more concerned about the actual glass front door.

• monzkale
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@shirlpp - I do have a solution for the door: similar window coverings as the side lights. The challenge with the arch is that it has a direct view of the upstairs area. I know you can't see it in the picture but it's just the layout of the house

• monzkale
    Original Author
    14 days ago

We've tried putting decals, but they always leave an airbubble due to the multiple areas where they need to be cut due to the edges.

• apple_pie_order
    14 days ago

Try a spray-on "frosted" window paint. No bubbles.

Alternatively, a custom arched rod on the top and a tension rod below for the top window would work with the same sheer curtains as the other parts of the door and windows.

You could also commission a fitted stained glass window to go in front of the top section. The artist makes the window, then installs it in front of the existing window.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    14 days ago

You would need to be 10 feet tall to see into those windows.

• monzkale
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@ShadyWillowFarm—I wouldn't be posting it if that were the case. :) The gaze from the outside is on the second level, which is completely open. At night time, you can see everything!

• Paul F.
    14 days ago

Hire a professional to put on your window film. Bubbles are just a sloppy job.

• bsgibbs
    14 days ago

From a distance, it would be completely visible.

We used to have a sign company, and put vinyl on everything, without bubbles.

If you want to try that again, make a paper template of each window. Cut the vinyl to size with the template. Mix a solution of a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid in a quart sprayer with water. DO NOT USE WINDEX. Spray your window and put the vinyl in place(backing removed). This allows you wiggle it around and get it positioned correctly. Then start squeegeeing from the middle to the outside edge, overlapping the area you just did. This will push the water out and leave no bubbles.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 days ago

I do like the idea of using something to 'frost' the glass, rather than using dust-catching curtains

• palimpsest
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

There are houses around here with these fanlights or windows over the door and open staircases where you can see people walking across the upstairs landing, wrapped in their towel when you are out on the street.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I am sorry but how does privacy enter into this at all unless all the people around you are 10' tall > whacan possibly look into that window? You even have an overhang there is IMO no way to see into that window MY advice about the pricay issue is thta most is in your head and honestly people do not stand outside waiting to see you walk by in your towel ever even if they can .

• bsgibbs
    13 days ago

@Patricia Coldwell Consulting - are you suggesting no one needs to put window covering on their second story bedrooms and baths anymore? We normal sized people can see in those from the street.

• jackowskib
    13 days ago

Have the glass replaced to be same as entry door, or similar that gives distorted view.

• monzkale
    Original Author
    13 days ago

@Patricia Colwell ConsultingOur house sits on a street that leads to the park, and there's a constant flow of people passing by. The archway provides a direct view into the second-level den, where kids often spend time. Before jumping to conclusions, it's helpful to ask questions for clarity.

• PRO
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 days ago

"Before jumping to conclusions"

...or read the previous posts...?

• Paul F.
    13 days ago

"MY advice about the pricay issue is thta most is in your head and honestly people do not stand outside waiting to see you walk by in your towel ever even if they can."

Patricia, come back and apologize for being rude, not reading the previous posts and all the spelling mistakes... DO NOT start another post.

• houssaon
    13 days ago

I like the ideas of making the glass like the front door either with a film or new glass. While you're at it why not do the sidepanels for a cohesive look!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    13 days ago

LOL Paul.

Even if no one can see in, it's disconcerting for some people (myself included) to walk by a naked window at night knowing that someone MIGHT be able to look in. It's also not an attractive sight--the black hole in the room. Covered windows always look better at night--much more cozy.

Our vacation house is on a horse farm, and my husband always says, who's going to see you--the horses? Well maybe, or maybe not. ;)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

I would shut the door to the den if it was such an issue. And make sure everyone had a bathrobe if the path to the bath crossed by that window. Most people who are driving are looking where they are going at night, and during the day it’s hard to see inside windows. But OP is living the life so we have to take her word for it that it’s a problem she wants to solve.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I hate uncovered windows at night too - makes me feel like I'm in a fishbowl.

And I like to walk for exercise in my neighborhood - I often can easily see into people's homes at night. Nobody's ever doing anything scandalous, tho - darn it 😄

• palimpsest
    13 days ago

Some people live in neighborhoods where people go outside and walk, although it may be hard to believe.

• monzkale
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

@ShadyWillowFarm Like I said, the upstairs area facing the skylight is open. There are no doors to the den. It’s just has a railing with evenly spaced banisters

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 days ago

Another solution might be a folding screen on the balcony...