Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnford

help, what should we do with our fireplace/tv wall?

Christine R
17 days ago

We just bought a house, and one thing I'm bummed about is that there is no mantle for hanging stockings at Christmas. We are stretched with our project budgets. But I would like to drywall and, add a mantle, and also update the tiles.

My husband thinks it now adds space and makes the room more open.

Does anyone have any ideas where perhaps we both get what we want?

Comments (12)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

That first photo is rather confusing. Is the second more accurately showing an alcove over the fireplace?

As for hanging stockings, you don't have to have a mantle - there are these things, and they come in many styles:

• Christine R
    Original Author
    17 days ago

True, thanks for the idea. I still don't love the look of the space. Would love to improve it

• arcy_gw
    17 days ago

It's very true you could hang your stockings on the shelving near the fireplace..but it's just not the same and having a fireplace RIGHT THERE would accentuate that for me. My mantle uses stocking holders shown above. I would not want my TV recessed the way the alcove demands it be. A mantle is not difficult just to french cleat to above the firebox, if you did wall in the alcove. You don't need a mantle with side columns. The more modern look is just a substantial piece of wood across the top. Google "modern mantels". That way the tile job could be left for later. So where would you put a TV? Maybe you and your husband need to have that plan in place before moving forward? While you are at it will you wall in the alcove above your shelving unit? I've never seen an opening like that above what is suppose to be a 'built in'.

• nelliebean
    17 days ago

what is on the other side of the alcove?

• Kendrah
    17 days ago

We are stretched with our project budgets.

If you just moved in to this house, you will undoubtedly have unforeseeable expenses and repairs to make. Live here for six months to a year before figuring out what to do with this area. For this year, can you just use the types of stocking hanging devices others have posted pictures of or some other kind of temporary hooks? (I'm Jewish so don't quite get what the problem is with using the shelf as a mantle and hanging stockings from hooks for a year. Is it that you don't want them to lay flat against the tile and want them to project out more?)

• PRO
    lisedv
    17 days ago

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 days ago

Wondering if doors could be put on there to make it into storage?

• Christine R
    Original Author
    17 days ago

I like it. Now I think I should hang my TV on the wall. Enclosing the alcove doesn't make the room feel Smaller, rt?

• PRO
    lisedv
    17 days ago

I like Carolb_fl_coastal's idea about doors, so here's something else you could consider if you square-off the top of the arch and install false doore above the ones opening below.

• RedRyder
    16 days ago

What @lisedv said makes sense. You can have something “deliberate” over the fireplace, have a place for your tv and utilize the large area to the right.

• chispa
    16 days ago

If you get someone in to close off the TV niche, have them close off the recess over the built-in too. It looks silly and you aren't going to reach all the way up there, and back, to display anything up there.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    13 days ago

Do you have another place to watch TV? You could also add shelves in the current TV nook. The other ideas about the doors are also very good. I’ve seen this before and it ends up being the only place for the TV but that was because that is the only place they have and their space is really small. It looks as if you may have room elsewhere, but it is hard to see because we cannot see the whole room, nor do we know the dimensions. In any case best wishes in your new home and congratulations.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County