Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnycraigj

need a loveseat, lighting, coffee table? Rugs?

Gin J
10 days ago

Hello,
Just had my new flooring installed and now on the hunt to decorate. I need to pick out a loveseat to go against the railing. Possibly a coffee table and definitely some two tall lamps for the area by the two recliners. I had a sofa here before and it was too big. An L shaped couch wouldn’t work because we LOVE our massage/heat recliners and just can’t give them up.
The full length of the railing is 98 inches but I think a loveseat that’s 66-72 inches might be best because of the chair. I included additional pictures of the room so you can see the traffic patterns( which really limit the layout).
We have a stone fireplace so I would like to stay with a rustic look.
I have a couple rugs down … and I like them, but the one under the dining table is old and sheds so much it clogs the vacuum so they can go. I would be tempted to try a round or oval rug in front of the couch and get a new one for under the dining table as well as a runner for the hallway to the front door.
I have appreciated all the suggestions I have received from many of you for other projects… you are all SO AMAZING and TALENTED! I look forward to seeing your comments and will add more pictures if you request them.

Thank you so very much!

Comments (6)

• tracefloyd
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I would rotate the dining table to give more space in the living room.

Then you can place the two recliners side by side but move them further back. That leaves room for a loveseat but not against the rail. Use that as the traffic zone and the loveseat on the window wall.

Then there is room for your coffee table in the middle.

You need a much larger rug in the living room to define the space. Not sure you need a rug in the dining room.

• shirlpp
    yesterday

Exactly!

I would not put a sofa on the railing side. The sofa should go on the window wall.

• PRO
    lisedv
    23 hours ago

I don't have any dimensions of your room but going by the photos this is how I suggest you layout your furniture. The rug in the living room area should be rectangular and reach under the sofa and 2 recliners. The one in the dining room should be large enough so that the chairs when pulled away from the table sit on the area rug.

• Gin J
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

I love the layout and I tried rotating the table but the width of the area is 10’9” and my table is about 7’4”.
    Every week I entertain 8-12 neighbors for coffee so I need to keep it extended. We also have family parties of 15+ so this table gets a lot of use.
    I also tried putting a loveseat by the window but we have a lakeview and my husband thinks that people sitting on the loveseat would rather look at the lake instead of the railing. Maybe I could move the loveseat away from the railing and keep the walkway?
    I also am open to any style suggestions for floor lamps for the recliners and sofa. I need something that looks good with chocolate brown chairs

• Gin J
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

Here’s a chair

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 hours ago

I presumed the 2 leather chairs were used to watch TV so that's why I had placed them facing the TV. Not sure the chairs would be well placed for TV watching with the loveseat facing the window but I'll look into it but if you have a lake view, I can understand why you'd like to reverse the plan.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations