Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrajo

crown molding around range hood

Terra Sandoval
21 days ago

Designing my mother’s new kitchen. She has dark blue cabinetry. Matching crown molding around the top of the cabinets. Large white crown molding that runs the perimeter of the room, which is a large space that encompasses the living room and kitchen. The cabinets are about a foot from the ceiling, with the exception of the range hood cabinet. It has an extension that goes up to the ceiling to conceal the pipe. SO. the question is, do we use the white wall crown that is already around the room to wrap the top of the hood cabinet, or stop the wall crown short of the hood and use the blue cabinet crown around the cabinet? Perhaps someone has dealt with this dilemma before and has some insight? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Terra Sandoval
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Here is the design of the kitchen, for some context. The hood extension is an add on and it’s not up yet. The crown that goes on the wall is 6 inches wide. Ceilings are 9 feet.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    21 days ago

Your illustration has a cabinet style hood so obviously the crown would match the cabinet. Did you decide to do something different than this illustration? Maybe post photos of the area in question.

• Terra Sandoval
    Original Author
    21 days ago

No, it looks like that only it has an extension above it to go to the ceiling. My husband thinks the wall crown just continued around that extension would look better instead of stopping the wall crown and then adding the cabinet crown.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    21 days ago

So the cabinets are a foot short of the ceiling and you have built a box to hide the duct. Yes that is wall and gets wall crown

• aem04
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

"Yes that is wall and gets wall crown"

I do not understand your instruction. The way this thread is written throughout is confusing. But I think the crown that is on the chimney hood extension should match the blue chimney hood extension. It would look jarring to have a white crown attached to a blue chimney hood extension.

You could also ditch the cabinet hood surround, and install a stainless steel hood with chimney. That solves the crown issue entirely. See first photo below.

Alternatively, you install a soffit or thick crown like in the second and third photos below. That solves two issues: (1) the continuation of the white crown (no blue crown would be needed), and (2) the fact that you have a one-foot empty space to the ceiling.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    21 days ago

Yes, it would help if a drawing was provided that reflected the actual situation or even a photograph of the actual room. My interpretation of her reply was at the hood extension was trying to be nondescript, and she was trying to keep it looking as much like her original illustration as possible, which meant that everything blue ended a foot below the ceiling. Yes, if the face of the hood extends all the way to the ceiling, therefore, that section crown should be blue and should be cabinet crown.

• Terra Sandoval
    Original Author
    21 days ago

I do not have a photo of the finished space because it’s not finished. I can post how it looks now but it’s not different than the rendition. You can see the unfinished crown off to the left.

• Terra Sandoval
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Also the crown is not yet attached to the cabinets, obviously.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    21 days ago

Are you extending a blue box to the ceiling flush with the hood? If so it gets blue cabinet crown. If you are installing a minimal wrap around the pipe that’s painted the wall color then it gets the house crown.