Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackienaparlo

custom not so custom floating bunk bed help

jackienaparlo
16 days ago

I wanted a custom floating bed. What I pictured in my head was more… well, custom, elevated, modern, pretty. What could I do to this setup to help with that other than paint? Thank you

Comments (33)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    16 days ago

Can you post more pix of the room from different angles. What else needs to be in the room? What size mattress is that? One fear I spot is that window - are the chains long enough to bump into windows? This design is Certainly a No if this is for a child.

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    16 days ago

The plan is a queen underneath. The bed is secured to the wall so it can’t swing. The bed up top is a twin. It’s a small room so just the beds will fit. It’s a bunk room in a little mountain condo,

• la_la Girl
    16 days ago

I think it will come together when the room is finished and all the linens are on etc

• PRO
    AiFL
    15 days ago

Think of it this way…you nailed the elevated part!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

What was done in the ceiling? What bolt in to a joist etc ? I'll be honest, I wouldn't get up there, and I'd not even trust the chain at bolt in the bed.

Not sure I'd let my kid up there, either.

Skip the queen, get a twin below, add a night stand.....More secure

Paint it WHITE..or black

LAKE SIDE · More Info

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks Jan. This was done "Professionally" so I'm not sure what he did up there where the chain and ceilng are... :(

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

"Professionally" is often a tad too broad a term...........?

It's a small room. Add a drawing...HOW small, with what entry, and the window, closet? etc.

Upload it as a jpeg below.

• arcy_gw
    15 days ago

That bed will be a NIGHTMARE to change sheets on. You could 'elevate' the look by adding solid siding on top of the pine slats...the hefty chain link COULD be metal roping, or encase them in columns for lack of a better word. "Mountain" furniture is often more timber/log cabiney look which could have been done. Do you have any pictures of the look you are hoping to emulate?

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    15 days ago

This is the space. I’m more worried about what to add to the actual bed to make it better than the room. Painting it white, rub and buff the chain black maybe or cap the chain somehow… add a metal ladder.. trim? I don’t know! :(

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    15 days ago

@arcy_gw what material would you use for the solid siding?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

Sorry!!! Waste of money!

DO OVER?

The inexpensive way?

Get a modern queen platform bed!

Under 400 bucks below. Wayfair

Take the doors, off the closet . These guests aren't living there! Finish the inside, use shelves! Wood! from the bunk you will ditch! Paint!

You will have room for a side table and lamp on BOTH sides of the queen bed!

Buy an Aero twin blow up, ( 39 x 75") because you have SEVEN feet to right of the bedroom door and five feet in front of that queen bed!

89 bucks...

Store it, and the linens in the shelved closet.

OR!!!!!

If you really really NEED to sleep a couple and two kids? Where I have the blow up bed

You could build MURPHY "bunks" to accommodate a cot size mattress, 31" x 75"

138" minus 80 for queen bed length leaves 58"

Allow for bunk structure with cot mattress @ 35 x 79"

You have 23 inches to squeak by the foot of the queen bed.: ) When they are in use, and there's the family, all together!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    15 days ago

Who will use this bed ? No adult I know would want to use it. The fact is how was it even installed like what are the chains attached to in the ceiling. I have a punching bag in my home gym and it was a big deal to properly get it attached so it did not fall down . I cannot imagine how this will be with an actual person in it. Waht exactly was the reason to so this ? There are lots of bunk type beds thta sit on the floor with a space underneath for even a sofa or desk.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    15 days ago

Sorry but that is a disaster waiting to happen.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

I'm on my knees begging. Agree a disaster,

Scroll UP to my earlier post. Fix!!!! with options: )

Pleeeeeeeeeezzzeeeee lol

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks, yes, he said it’ll hold over 400lbs. Agree, will try to scrap and get some $$ back.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

If only because it is ugly!!! GOOD CALL!

• PRO
    15 days ago

Replace it with a bunk bed that has a full or queen bottom and a twin top.

The stairs on these two are nicer than the usual ladder. And the storage on the second one is a great option-and the second one has a trundle!

Carthew Convertible Twin Over Full Bunk Bed, Gray, Trundle Included · More Info

Roseberry Kids Contemporary Wood Twin over Full Bunk Bed w/ Ladder in White · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

If I'm an adult? I don't want to sleep under my kid: ) EVER

I want that kid on the floor, in an Aero blow up. Kids are like bats, they can sleep upside down.

• Maureen
    15 days ago

As they say, don’t throw good money after bad. If interested in built ins see idea below, or just purchase.

Wayfair:

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    15 days ago

@maureen, where did you find that first
    Photo?

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    15 days ago

This is what someone on another thread recommended but looks dated :-/

• ilikefriday
    15 days ago

You could add the ladder to the wall instead of the bed.

• Maureen
    15 days ago

Pinterest - here’s another I didn’t send.

Search “mountain home bunk room” and suggest the ladder on the front, to allow for easier access to cupboard. Good luck.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

For the love of heaven! Are you hung up on an idea because you think it is cool? Or do you want a functional room for adults and a kid or two?

Otherwise? I suggest a tree house in the back forty : )

• jackienaparlo
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I’m hung up that we just spent money I’m not sure I’ll get back on something that isn’t right so trying to save it. But you’re right. I’m sure the smart thing to do is scrap it .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

Use the WOOD in the closet, and lose the doors to the closet.

Like bi fold doors are so "cool'? : )

• Maureen
    15 days ago

Can it be refitted with supports, tied into the lower sort of like this.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    15 days ago

At least a good look just above!!

• cat_ky
    15 days ago

I would never put a kid in that bed. A broken window, and a broken up kid, seems very likely to happen. I would tear it out of there, and replace with something else. And try to keep whatever you put in there for a bed away from the window. A child moving around and falling or jumping, and going right through that window, would be my worst nightmare.

• PRO
    15 days ago

What cat_ky said, in addition to the fact that it is not a good look at all. And the picture you posted of something that you call "dated," I can't make out what it even is supposed to be.

Worrying about money you spent in the past and can't recoup is irrelevant to any future decision. Don't be a victim of the "sunk cost fallacy" and try to jerryrig this thing. You've gotten lots of good ideas, so just pick one and move on.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Mountain house, beach house, lake house, town house........

The single most important aspect of a guest space considers adults, first.

A good mattress, great sheets, pillow options , ( whether down or something else). Warm/ cool flexibility in bed covers.

A good reading light and adequate space for a phone, a bottle of water, glasses, tissue etc.

That it be attractively decorated, uncluttered, is wonderful, no matter the style !

It's already less than perfect when a child is added to the mix, but to focus on floating a child ? No. and in this scenario? What happens when the room is used by a couple with NO kids in tow: )

Lol..... until nearly age thirty, even I could sleep just about anywhere. Couch, air mattress on the floor, you name it.! Now? I travel with my own down pillow, tightly rolled.....taking no risk of a totally sleepless night.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    14 days ago

"Sorry but that is a disaster waiting to happen."

Diana:

Please look at the top of the last picture. You'll see where the ceiling was cut, note the drywall screws, apparently to provide access to the ceiling framing for the installation of wood blocking to hold the chain. If the other chain is attached to framing as well as is the side against the wall, the bed's not coming down.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

It's still ugly as all get out, Joe.: )

One couple and two! kids.....doesn't have to be ugly. If you build custom, make it lovely and useful or don't build it.: )