Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethany_goodin1

hall tree hell. HELP!

Bethany Goodin
27 days ago

Ok guys, I have 5 kids and wanted a hall tree in our small entry room. The bottoms are cabinets so we can hide the kids shoes, the cabinet on the end is a closet for coats and the top of hall tree id like to use by placing baskets for each kid up top for hats, gloves etc… I am overwhelmed by this! I wasn’t expecting it to be this bulky and massive. I think we will remake closet to fit the width and height up to the soffit bc it just looks odd, plus I would like just one door on it. Also may need it flush with hall tree and not sticking out. Should I shorten the height of the tree hall? Take the sides off and replace with wood brackets underneath shelf? I don’t have tall ceilings at all and this room only has as much room on the other side as you’re seeing on this side. I just didn’t imagine it being this huge and I hate it. Please help! If anyone can draw up a 3d image or sketch of what they think would make this look more pleasing to the eye, simple and not so bulky pls do!! I’ve been crying for hours. 🥺 I’ve paused the painters coming to paint and install hardware so I can make changes BC THIS IS NOT IT. Thank you!!

Comments (25)

• Olychick
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Omigoodness, I don't know what you were picturing, but this is wonderful! Looks very nice and practical as well. I'm assuming there will be hooks across the back above the bench? That will soften the look a bit, but it does not look at all oversized or overwhelming for the space. Please post a pic of what you were expecting.

some similar. Yours looks just as good or better! Maybe a cushion for the bench?

• houssaon
    27 days ago

I don't think it is practical to place baskets on the top. It would be hard to reach. I would add a shelf about a foot down for baskets. Are you going to add hooks?

I think it looks OK.

• Bethany Goodin
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies! Yes there will be hooks to hang backpacks and such off of. That along with the other hardware (pulls for the cabinets below and the closet cabinet) and paint will all come after I figure out what I need to change for me to like this.

If I made the hall tree a little shorter than the baskets wouldn’t be out of reach for me. Also, thinking lowering the height of the hall tree would reduce me feeling like it’s such a massive piece for the space.
    The closet to be made not as wide so I can put just one swing door on it and obviously raise the height up on that so it is flush with the soffit bc having that gap there to me looks awkward.

• Bethany Goodin
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I like how this closet is flush with the depth of the bench. Mine sticks out. Weird happing between cabinet and soffit on mine. I loved the idea of putting wicker baskets on top to incorporate brown since I plan to paint it all white. I just wish it wasn’t as big as it was— it’s a huge piece for a small room. :/

• Olychick
    27 days ago

There is no reason to make it smaller. That whole wall can be storage..making it smaller will be a waste of space because there can be no other use for portions of that wall if you have a storage unit like this on it. It's similar to a wall of shelves in a library. That's what the wall is used for...no reason to make the unit smaller. Maybe you just need to take some time to get used to the space being filled with a cabinet, since it has overwhelmed you. It is not an overwhelming cabinet, however.

• Bethany Goodin
    Original Author
    27 days ago

More photos to show you guys!!

• HU-402831377
    27 days ago

I think it looks great. I would not cut it down. Have you considered adding shelves across the inside top like your inspirational pictures. Maybe add a shelf inside and put the baskets there. In both cases I would keep them narrow like in your inspirational photos.

• PRO
    AiFL
    27 days ago

I’m another person not seeing what you’re seeing….and think maybe the dislike for this is partly adjusting to change and partly second guessing yourself before it’s actually finished. It’s big, but doesn’t look like it overwhelmed the space and is far better than walking in to find scattered shoes and a pile of backpacks. You lived for a period of time before it, I’d try living for a period of time with it after it’s painted and finished and then judge it.

• jackowskib
    27 days ago

I think you're fussing over nothing. Focus on the function (add upper cubbies and hooks for hanging), then get it painted. For cubbies you'd basically add one shelf across the unit so bins can be openly placed. Trim piece below for hanging hooks.

• BPMBA
    27 days ago

I think it looks great and FUNCTIONAL (the primary purpose, right?) and I wouldn't touch it. Assuming you're painting it the same color as the walls, it will really blend right in.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    27 days ago

No one thinks about how awful it is to be down on your knees reaching into the shoe cubbies when it’s time to clean them out. Or find that missing shoe. I can’t imagine kids putting shoes in the cubbies, coats in the closet, hanging a backpack and also putting gloves/hats in a basket up above. Honestly you get about 3 seconds of effort from the kids in that area then they are gone. With an adult you get maybe 5 seconds.

• la_la Girl
    27 days ago

Agree that it’s likely just a shock to see it built and once it’s painted it will blend in nicely - it’s terrific storage - with 5 kids function is so important

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    27 days ago

I never like the looks of a bunch of coats and backpacks all hanging any which way and those baskets are useless unless the kids are all 6' + tall. I will aslo guarantee the shoes will never be in the shoe cabinet . That is a fact of life. We had 3 kids no mudroom only a small closet so shoes went to their bedrooms one coat per kid in the closet and back packs went with the shoes . It worked becuase it was the only choice. If your kids are tidy this might work so only you know that part . I think it will work except for thoe baskets if you keep on the kids and limit how many pairs of shoes honestly.

• vinmarks
    27 days ago

I agree with others. i think it looks nice. Right now you are looking at it unpainted so it doesn’t match with anything. Plus it is a big change and you are not used to seeing it.

The baskets are not practical because no one can reach them. That is the one thing I would change. If you want baskets they have to be lower.

• jackowskib
    27 days ago

You didn’t share a photo of the adjacent wall that may be needed for umbrellas or wet gear. All the inspiration pics look like brand new stuff never used…. With kids it might be easier for them to have a large basket for shoes and use bottom drawers for their hats and gloves, etc.

• auntthelma
    27 days ago

I would love a mud room that big! I hope you love it once it is in use. Post a picture when it is finished.

I see your point about the closet not touching the soffit. Perhaps the soffet is not level, so they left a gap. Ask about trim to close the gap.

If you add a shelf inside for baskets, consider using the top shelf baskets for seasonal changes. Switch the mittens and hats baskets for sunscreen and sunglasses. Have a larger basket to store coats in the summer and beach towels,in the winter.

• AnnKH
    21 days ago

In your inspiration photo with "closet flush to the bench", I doubt that's a closet for hanging coats - more likely a cabinet full of shelves. A closet has to be 24" deep for standard-sized hangers, and you don't want the bench to be that deep.

I do agree with others that expecting family members to put coats in the closet on hangers, shoes behind doors, and mittens in a basket is a lot. I hope your expectations are reasonable for your family.

• Boxerpal
    21 days ago

Sometimes our expectations, ideas and plans fall short. A good cry is always a way to clear the air. Have a good hard cry about your expectation not meeting reality. Its okay to mourn this loss.

And then when you have dried your tears focus on the function of this new piece of construction. It may be hard to see the forest when you are looking at the leaves but it will be the place that hold shoes, school art work, hand-me down sweaters, winter coats, surprise birthday gifts and favorite rocks hidden in pockets. ... A place where cold noses come in to find hot chocolate, A place to unload the groceries, put on your warm slippers, A place of laughter or tears after a hard day...

In 10 years this piece of furniture will be a place full of magical family memories. And the function of the space will be exactly what you intended. And then as the kids grow you can take it out. They won't need it. But I would bet you will look back and be thankful they had a beautiful place to sit and take their shoes off as they tell you about their day.

Its a pretty piece but me telling you that won't change your feelings. Be good to yourself. Disappointment is never easy. When the dust settles you may see the good in this after all.

• tuesday_2008
    18 days ago

Looking at the side view you show, imagine it painted a pretty fresh white to match your other woodwork, hardware, a colorful cushion on the bench, and a coordinating rug in front of the unit. It will look great! You are looking at it unfinished and undecorated. Of course, the kiddos will not always keep it magazine looking, but they can be taught.. You can organize when ”company is coming”😜.

• loftissm
    17 days ago

I agree that your reaction is normal, to be shocked at the new bulk where there has not been any before. i had tthe same when a cabinet went in where I had been used to seeing a much smaller piece of furniture, but I got used to it and now am so glad for the extra storage. However, as to the size of the cabinet/closet on the right side: It would bug me forever that the top doesn’t align with the soffit, not only up and down but also left to right. I would run it up to the soffit or use trim, but to have that “under-hang” where the soffit is narrower? Nope. It looks like a measuring mistake, and the 2- to 3-in. ledge will only collect dust. Also, from experience, no one uses the baskets no matter that they’re a great idea on paper. We have a bench from Pottery Barn with 2 levels of open cubbies underneath for shoes, and it works great. Hooks above are a great idea if the kids can reach them, but I would forget the baskets. Plus pulling the seagrass baskets back and forth over the painted cabinet will erode the painted edge. The paint won’t last, trust me, especially if they are pulling at the basket and tipping it downward to see if something particular is inside.

• Olychick
    7 days ago

That looks wonderful! Enjoy it!

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    7 days ago

Oh, that looks lovely! I always thought it looked great anyway, but your husband’s work really adds to it. Glad it worked out.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    6 days ago

Looks great!

• marmiegard_z7b
    6 days ago

I think it’s much better to have open wall for your hooks as you do, rather than all the dividers into individual spaces that are often shown. Much more flexible for different sizes/ bulk of things, hooks can be re-done if you learn other placements or spacing works better, no boundaries restricting the use of the bench.