Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_382499379

Updating a laundry room need wallpaper ideas

Tiffany Pletz
23 days ago

We’re updating our laundry room with an accent wallpaper on one wall, white fish scale glass tiles above washer and dryer and adding a box for the washer and dryer with quartz on top, updating floors painting cabinets and knobs. My designer picked out the wallpaper in the last picture which I absolutely love but it’s over $500 a roll and I need 2.05 rolls. I hate the idea of wasting $500 on a roll of wallpaper that I only need a small fraction of. Anyone have any ideas on a fabulous wallpaper that won’t break the bank? It just feels extravagant and I’ve looked online for ways to save money but to no avail. The small area I need the extra wallpaper for is in fourth picture. If theres another wallpaper you’d recommend please send me links or pictures if you’d be so kind.

Comments (10)

• amystoller
    23 days ago

Your professional designer may have put real thought into their choice, including how well the wallpaper will hold up to heat and moisture in your laundry room. Be frank with them about your dismay at the price. Ask them what factors they considered in making their recommendation — which is all it is; the actual choice will be yours. When you and your designer are really communicating fully, you will be likelier to find something you are happier with.

In the meantime, if you like the look of the wallpaper, try web searches for “blue floral wallpaper” and perhaps “blue Chinoiserie wallpaper” to see if you can find something you like at a lower price point. It may not work out, but it can’t hurt to look!

• Rho Dodendron
    23 days ago

$500/roll OR $500/double roll? If you want to accent the wall with the artwork hanging on it and a tall cabinet in the corner----cheat and don't paper behind the cabinet so you only need two rolls.

• jackowskib
    23 days ago

Yes, that is a very pretty wallpaper pattern. But, if I was paying a designer for this effort, I would take the matter up so he/she can explore alternatives that are more cost effective for you to consider. Or visit your local wallpaper stores to see some great options first hand.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

The wallpaper belongs in a lovely coastal inspired dining room. It "belongs" in a luxurious powder room! It is a mural! and it's pricey.

It has absolutely no place in a somewhat ordinary laundry space, where a really great paint color would suffice. It won't be seen to best advantage! More art would suffice. Even a different paper could be applied to four walls, and visually enlarge the space!

Fall in love with something else. Consider what ELSE the designer is doing for you, as well...........intuition here, sorry.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    23 days ago

How about a whimsical paper? This one by Schumacher is very sweet and is less than half the price:

https://mahoneswallpapershop.com/products/5005031-schumacher-wallpaper-a-twitter-summer

Tell your designer your price point and have her/him come up with some ideas. That's what you're paying for.

• Jilly
    23 days ago

For the best suggestions, we’d need to see the materials you’re going to be using in there — the quartz, the flooring, the knobs, the paint color. There’s no way to know what might look good otherwise.

I agree with everyone else, though — your designer does know what the plans are and should be able to come up with other paper suggestions.

• Theresa Peterson
    23 days ago

adding a box for the washer and dryer with quartz on top

Have you thought through how you'll pull the dryer out to thoroughly clean out the lint twice a year? Yes, I harp on fire safety pretty often, but anyone who's ever been in a fire DOES NOT want to repeat the experience.

I hate the idea of wasting $500 on a roll of wallpaper that I only need a small fraction of.

Agree -- that's lovely wallpaper, but that's a lot of money for a laundry room. I assume you'd have to pay more to have the wallpaper hung.

Thoughts:

- Are you at all crafty? Instead of wallpaper, you could stencil that wall. The process is time consuming but SO EASY, and you're only talking about one wall. You do need to buy a special brush, and you need to practice on poster board. The key is taking very little paint on your brush, then wiping most of that off -- you must use an almost dry brush. And you must wash your stencil about every third use -- it's a SLOW PROCESS. I did some lovely stencil work in my old house. Another benefit: Unlike wall paper, stenciling isn't subject to moisture issues.

Here's a website that sells stencils: https://www.royaldesignstudio.com/

- What about painting the wall a solid color, then bringing in multiple mis-matched paintings to create pattern, color and texture?

- If you do go with the wallpaper, DEMAND primer underneath the paper. When I moved into my old house, I ripped the wallpaper out of both bathrooms. The first bathroom, which had been primed, took 15 minutes -- the paper pulled off in big sheets. The second bathroom took weeks, and I pulled the paper off shred by shred.

How about a whimsical paper?

That is super cute.

• Tiffany Pletz
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Love the whimsical wallpaper idea. My thoughts are that by going back to my designer and asking for a new wallpaper in my budget, I could have bought the original paper and been done with it. That’s why I’m asking for suggestions on here.

Here are the other elements: fish scale tile backsplash in white glass, porcelanosa steel bone floor and Eider white color of cabinets.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

I'd pick a wallpaper with an off white background to work with the tile. Something like these, maybe?

Coastal Organic Project-Manchester By The Sea · More Info

Coastal Cottage - Wilmington, NC · More Info

Personally, I like to treat laundry rooms the same way I treat powder rooms: go bold. I like Diana's suggestion, too.

• Tiffany Pletz
    Original Author
    22 days ago

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors, I love the Lotus Cobalt wallpaper!! I may go with that!! THANK YOU❣️❣️❣️