Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_588771682

Cleaning Front Load washer

K M
last month

We just bought a house that came with a nice washer However when I was cleaning the washer the door boot is absolutely filthy! I spent a good 2 hours scrubbing with diluted vinegar and a toothbrush. How do you clean this?? Am I being too picky?

Comments (22)

• anj_p
    last month

I have never cleaned my front load washer seal. Here's how to keep it that way:

1. Use detergent pods. Too much detergent in front loaders will cause detergent build up.

2. Keep the door propped after a wash cycle so it can dry.

3. If you notice residual soap in there after you're done doing laundry, wipe it out with a rag.

That's it. My washer also recommends running a cleaning cycle every month or so with afresh. I do that occasionally but not every month.

• G W
    last month

Our front loader does not stay clean all by itself, even with propping the door open. But, we have pets and lots and lots of pet hair gets in there. The key for us is to keep the little drain holes clear (we had three). If they are clear, nothing else needs cleaning.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    last month

Run a clean cycle as recommended by your machine. Mine uses a cup of bleach or tablets like previously noted. Follow with an extra rinse. Sounds like previous owner may not have done routine maintenance. Dont use excess detergent. Leave door and detergent drawer open all the time when not in use.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

Don’t use too much soap (one tablespoon), don’t use fabric softener, clean the machine per its instructions, and keep the door ajar. That’s all I’ve ever done In twenty years of owning front loaders.

• K M
    Original Author
    last month

This is what I am referring too. After hours of scrubbing it seems like most of this is stained..any ideas?

• anj_p
    last month

Yes unfortunately that was user error by the previous owners. Try baking soda. Otherwise in the future follow the recommendations of everyone above and you won't have this problem.

• K M
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you. I’ll try baking soda next. Is the washer still safe to use?

• georgect
    last month
    last modified: last month

If the washer has a Sanitize cycle use it with 1 cup of bleach and a cup of baking soda (put baking soda in the drum directly).

Put the bleach in the liquid detergent dispenser so it's dispensed into the drum the whole time of the wash cycle.

Side note: wait for the initial drain to stop before the washer starts filling.

Most washers put the bleach in the first rinse (which doesn't make sense to me).

Always use hot washes for whites, warm for colors.

I NEVER use cold for washes.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

Yes it’s safe to use. Your clothes can’t touch this area and you have effectively cleaned it, the rubber is just stained. Run a hot cycle with bleach and enjoy your new house.

• anj_p
    last month

I recommended pods because at least they're already proportioned for a regular load, but yes, if you think you can get over the general propensity of most people (specifically people who have front load washer gaskets that get full of mold) to add 1/2 cup of detergent to your laundry and change it to a tablespoon... Then yes you can use regular detergent.

• Stacey
    last month

I let the washer dry out for a day. Then I vacuum the dog hair out of the little holes behind the seal. Sometimes I have to use tweezers and a flashlight but it works.

• NIKKI DALE
    last month

ooh I can help!I had the exact same issue. I just bought afresh washer cleaner (I was very skeptical) and sugalry mold remover from Amazon

. I was absolutely amazed at my results and such little effort and cost. I wish I took before and after photos to show you.

• NIKKI DALE
    last month

also to add, I keep a hook with a microfiber cloth hanging right near my washer so that I wipe the excess moisture out after every load and leave door open

• Olychick
    last month

I haven't needed to use this on my machine, because I follow the manufacturer's directions for periodic cleaning, running the cleaning cycle with a cup of chlorine bleach put through the detergent slot. I am shocked by how many suds are formed during that cycle, even though I do not use excessive detergent or any fabric softeners. But this product was recommended to me to use on some mold we found on framing behind a shower we removed. It says it is safe for rubber washer gaskets.

Concrobium: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/cleaning-and-disinfectants/mold-and-mildew-removers/1329440

• dadoes
    last month

"Olychick: ... with a cup of chlorine bleach put through the detergent slot. I am shocked by how many suds are formed during that cycle, even though I do not use excessive detergent or any fabric softeners."

What kind of bleach are you using for the cleaning cycle? Scented chlorine bleach products and splashless versions can cause sudsing. Choose a "plain" chlorine bleach product, check the label that it's referenced for sanitizing.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month
    last modified: last month

I do many of things mentioned here - wipe down washer door, gasket & soap dispenser, leave door open, run a clean cycle periodically, don’t use too much soap. I can still detect a scent of stale washer in my laundry room at times. I also periodically drain the water in the pump / trap at lower front of washer & clean out the length of it with a bottle brush. I use only liquid plant based detergent & not much of it. I don’t like the soap pods because though the PVA plastic dissolves, it doesn’t easily or readily biodgrade & most water treatment plants can’t degrade it either. I never use liquid fabric softener or sheets. I do have a water softener which is another reason for not using much detergent. I wash in warm or hot only yet sometimes the scent of stale washer is there. I’ll admit to an acute sense of smell & often I’m the only one who notes the stale scent. A few months ago I started adding white vinegar to the fabric softener dispenser to see if it made a difference in towels,sheets & washer stale smell. I think it does!

• Stacey
    last month

Thanks Olychick, Concrobium Mold remover is also septic safe!

• Freda Zackin
    29 days ago

Although an expensive option, it is possible to have a new washer boot installed. Then you will get rid of the stained one and start fresh.

• Olychick
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

@dadoes

I use plain chlorine bleach. No scented products at all in the laundry.

• doreycrouse
    27 days ago

I highly recommend 1 cup of raw citric acid on a clean washer cycle. Might be worth running a Sanitize cycle with 1 cup citric acid, then follow up with clean washer cycle and another 1 cup.

• doreycrouse
    27 days ago

I highly recommend citric acid. Usually the clean washer cycle and 1 cup citric acid does wonders. It will not remove the rubber boot stains, though.