Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4bucks

would you paint these built in ?

4bucks
2 months ago

Should I repaint these built ins white ?
Moved in a few months ago and will probably be here for only a few years . Trying to update, keeping resale in mind, without blowing the bank .
I’ve already replaced lighting.
Just removed ornate molding on fireplace and repainted .
I have a frame TV I’m going to mount .
Can’t decide about builtins . There’s a wet bar in the one to the right . I think there’s too much work to remove them should I leave them or paint ?

Comments (19)

• Lisa Miller
    2 months ago

I think next buyer might like the builtins , but I would paint them white and remove upper doors for open shelving. ? Library. The curve on upper doors a bit dated. Good luck.

4bucks thanked Lisa Miller
  • chispa
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I agree that the same white as fireplace/trim would be the best choice, so you can then use any paint color on the walls later on.

4bucks thanked chispa
  • palimpsest
    2 months ago

I would paint them to match the Walls and only pick out the fireplace in white.

4bucks thanked palimpsest
  • Jennifer Hogan
    2 months ago

You don't want to just throw a layer of paint on them. Cabinets need a lot of prep and time to do well. It is expensive to have them professionally painted.

Painting them will not increase your sales price and your only staying a few years.

It probably isn't worth the time/effort/money to change the color of the cabinets.

Get a couple of estimates and then decide how much money you want to gift to the next owner.

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks, Jennifer we've had wood kitchen cabinets painted professionally. I also have refinished quite a few wood furniture pieces. I wasn't sure if these needed to be tackled professionally or with all the doors I could take down and do myself. Since they aren't used much . Wasn't sure if I could paint over with BM ADVANCE paint or if theyd need to be stripped. I've never painted over painted cabinets. Makes sense!

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

With all those architectural features I think the cabinets are overkill…I think removing them will enhance the remaining architectural features in a much sleeker…more modern ..elegant…way

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

I would have removed all the trim from the fireplace breast above the mantle. The heavy trim detail is too traditional to work with the sloped ceiling. The mantle looks much better now that youve removed the curlicues.

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

Removing cabinets may be more work than painting …but will pay off in a super sleek and elegant room when done…and more of a clean slate for new buyers…if you want to get top dollar in resale..you need to remove these distractions

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

If there is a problem with the flooring leaving the base cabinets could work..

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    2 months ago

THanks BeverlyFLADeziner! So helpful ! I need your design program ! Such a great idea and have such a hard time visualizing things myself! Sorry my pictures were out of order I did remove the ornamental detail! Just stuck the pic in at the end to show how i'd change the look to be sleeker already but wasn't enough and trying to figure out what else I could that was most cost-effective! Painting the travertine tiles would definitle be an affordable option.

btydrvn, I completely agree! the problem is since they curve around it means we'd probably have to repair or even refinish the hard wood floors as well as the cabinet on the right has a wet bar with tiled countertops and back and a sink we'd have to deal with . It think it would end up all just adding up too much. If it were just the cabinets would probably be easy enough to do but these beauties make it difficult ! However, that is our preferred option but with only being here a few years trying to figure out if that would be needed for resale? I orginally did not like the house at all and ended up buying it because it was the best of what was available. Now that were in it and just a few changes I'm actually loving it! Just those darn cabinets! and oh the first floor bath ...and the....etc etc - hee! hee!

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

It never ends🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

• HU-187528210
    2 months ago

I’d completely remove the two ends.
    And then open the top half of the rest of them so it’s just the open shelving.

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

Since the area of concern relies so much on balance…is there a way to do a more balanced arrangement of the sofa sections?…and also is the room any longer than you show in the pix?

• btydrvn
    2 months ago

And how many use the area at once..on a regular basis? And do you have extra people often?

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 months ago

@4bucks - you did what every home buyer does. You bought the best house on the market that you could afford. When you sell someone will be looking to buy. The trick to being able to sell is pricing the house so that it is the best house in the price range. Overpriced it sits, priced right it sells.

The money you spend on renovations is largely not returned when selling. Figure on the price increasing somewhere around 50% of what ever you are spending and you should be close to reality.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

I have no special design program. I simply alter your photos using Microsoft Paint. Comes on every Windows computer.

• ptreckel
    2 months ago

Try removing some or all of the cabinet doors and see what you think. I would probably paint the cabinets to match the fireplace. I like how you simplified the trim on the fireplace. You could consider painting the backs of the cabinets another color or wallpapering them for another look. They are quite tall, however. I would play around with them a bit before you start changing them. Removing the top set of cabinets might also be an option…

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

IMO those builtins rob the drama of the FP wall so unless they are really needed I would take them out .At least remove the ones that are angled on the sides and I agree no doors and some thicker shelves if the rest must stay.Many things to consider when trying to sell are get the TV off the mantel hang a nice piece of art there Get rid of most of the oversized furniture that makes that space look like there is no room to move.The room has a fabulous ceiling and FP those are the stars and that light fixture absolutely is all wrong.