Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabigabatini

Do I need an agent if someone's interested in my unlisted house?

sabigabatini
14 days ago

A neighbor of mine wants to refer her friend to me after I told her I'm planning to sell my home sometime soon. Her friend specifically wants a place like mine and in this very area, and she's certain she would be seriously interested after seeing my home. We'll see but....

As of now I have not listed the property. Nor have I chosen or contracted a real estate agent for myself.

It's a condo, and I think condo selling can be more complex than homes sometimes. Maybe I'm mistaken but I guess I'm wondering if, after this person comes over and agrees to the price I give them, what next? I know people do these kinds of things with a real estate attorney and without an agent when this type of opportunity presents itself. Looking for some guidance here. Is there any reason why I'd want to have an agent of my own before I go through this process? What kind of commission - if any - would be due them if I do secure one? Or would an attorney be enough and take care of all the necessary steps through closing?

I have no problem having an agent involved, if that's actually necessary. In that case, I'm not sure what the cost to me would be though. I want to go into this fairly, to myself and anyone else involved.

Also - I know this may sound silly but it occurred to me maybe I should give my friend (the one referring the buyer) a finder's reward. She's a friend - not a longtime friend but as my neighbor we've become friendly and have gone to dinner here and there. Being that I'd never have to go through the listing process, open houses, yada yada, I feel I'd be indebted to her for the referral. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for any input.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    14 days ago

I’ve done off market sales a couple times. They worked well and saved me some money. In both cases I knew the property and the owner. I just used my usual attorney to handle the paperwork after we negotiated a price. Agents protect you in the negotiating process and potentially get you a better price by exposing you to more buyers. The actual legal transaction is the same regardless.

• J Mig
    14 days ago

We recently sold a house in Phoenix to a friend and NEighbor. We just used a highly rated title company. They actually had a real estate contract. There were no realtors involved. The gift of a finders fee is a lovely thought. You could also give her a gift card to a restaurant…

• dadoes
    13 days ago

My mother sold her mother's house with no RE agent involved. The estate lawyer wrote up a contract and coordinated with the title company. (Mom also financed the sale for the buyers.)

• sushipup2
    12 days ago

Don't discount the value of a good realtor's knowledge of the local market and ability to price a property properly. Even if you don't hire an agent, ask 3 agents for free market analyses.

• 3katz4me
    11 days ago

If you have a buyer all you need is a real estate attorney - much less expensive than a realtor and more competent that many of them.

• weedyacres
    yesterday

I echo the above: an attorney is perfectly capable of making sure all the documents are correct, and they only charge a few hundred dollars.

If you wanted an assessment of the value, you could also spend a few hundred dollars on an appraisal instead of paying an agent 6% to run you through the appraisal computer program. :-)

• sushipup2
    yesterday

Agents don't charge 6% for a competitive market analysis.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    23 hours ago

@bsgibbs Can you tell me how it works if the buyer has an agent of his/her own? What does that mean for me and/or does that change anything? ty!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    22 hours ago

If the buyer already has an agent that sort of changes everything. You need to decide if you will pay the agent commission or if you will make the buyer pay that. Also who is negotiating- you and buyer or you and their agent?

sabigabatini thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • bsgibbs
    22 hours ago

@sabigabatini - if the buyer approached you with an agent you are not obligated to pay them a commission. They may be on the hook to pay that agent, though, depending on if they signed a contract stating so.
    Frequently the agent will write an offer for the. and put a commission

sabigabatini thanked bsgibbs
  • bsgibbs
    22 hours ago

Oops. Hit the wrong button.
    Frequently the agent will write an offer for the buyer, and put a commission in the document. If you sign and agree to that, you will be obligated to pay it.

sabigabatini thanked bsgibbs
  • bsgibbs
    22 hours ago

We had a commercial property sale where we got all the details established with the buyer and had the attorney write the contract. It was almost a copy of the standard realtor contract but without the paragraph numbering and multiple choices.
    The buyer hired a realtor and had him rewrite it on the standard realtor contract. I assume he agreed to pay the realtor a fee for doing this. The realtor checked the wrong box on property taxes and ended up costing the buyer about $8000.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

@bsgibbs @HALLETT & Co. ok thank you, so it sounds as if the question of who pays the buyer’s agent is a negotiable one and that it should be duly noted before signing any offers/contracts (for sure).

As for who is negotiating… I’d expect and endeavor to have that between me and the buyer especially since this will be expected to occur privately at least initially but still I was curious about how a buyer’s agent might enter into the mix (if it did). Appreciate the inputs.