Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_31457785

I’m helplessly lost. Please help me pick an area rug for living room

Christina Solorio
3 months ago

At a loss for picking an area rug for seating area. I love antique, primitive, folkie, rustic farmhouse style. From the wall behind chairs to back of sofa it’s 12ft, and wall at window to door to kitchen it’s 12ft. The area between chairs and sofa is 6x9 give or take. Current wall color is a light green, but will be painted this year to alabaster. Don’t really have a color scheme going, but like black, neutrals, blues and reds. I don’t even know what size I would put down so if you can help please be specific. Thank you so much.

Comments (14)

• Lyn Nielson
    3 months ago

this is a lovely area rug from Ruggable.com

I have it in my living room, much prettier in person, I didn't need a washable rug, but the color and style is everything I was looking for. the price is unbelievable. I bought another for a guest room in a similar style, but different color.

• deegw
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

You have a nice, neutral room, there are lots of rugs that will look great.

Rugs Direct and other online rug sites have a "see this rug in your room" feature. Go to the site, find a rug you like, upload your photo and voila!

You're going to need a large rug. I'm guessing a 9 x 12, you need to get out your tape measurer and plot it out in your room..

The thought of ordering a large rug and then having to lug it back to the UPS store, even if it's a free return, can be intimidating. You can order the smallest size to check the colors and texture, think of it as a sample.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 months ago

• Jilly
    3 months ago

I like pairing florals with stripes, and especially with the styles you like.

Just an example:

https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/karastan-spice-market-clarevale-vanilla-area-rug

I was also inspired by one of my favorite designers and how he used a vintage Persian rug over a woven rug (jute or another type) in this very charming room:

Another example:

https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/karastan-spice-market-keralam-garnet-area-rug

Either rug would look great with Alabaster.

I don’t know what size you’ll need, you just need to measure to see. I might consider bringing the sofa and coffee table in towards the chairs just a bit, if possible.

This boards leans very heavily to more modern styles, but I think something that looks like an heirloom rug would fit well in your room.

Rejuvenation has quite a few beautiful, patterned rugs I think could look great in your room (I don’t know your budget):

https://www.rejuvenation.com/shop/rugs/all-rugs/?cm_src=OLDLINK

All that said, it might be worth waiting until you paint … the Alabaster will be a big change. You may want to see how it all looks painted before investing in a rug.

• Jilly
    3 months ago

That’s a beautiful rug, simplynatural, I like that a lot.

And so true about lighting. I always look for reviews of rugs in customers’ rooms to get an idea of them in various contexts. I’ve ordered so many rugs online for myself and clients, fortunately only one time a rug came looking nothing like the website showed. I sold it that very day locally and ordered a different one. :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Get an 8 x 10 or 9x 12 ( down below),

You will find more, pay quite a bit less in 8 x 10 as rugs are priced in sq, feet, basically. there fore it's 80 sq feet vs 108. and the price will reflect that.

Feel energetic ? I'd like to move a few things: )

Whatever console is behind the couch? Pull it out and drag it over to the big window

Take the chest at the window, and put it where

have the round table flanked by dining chairs.

Take THAT table and put it between the two stripe chairs, and I care not, what you do with that one: )

Get rid of some of the faux dead floral stuff...please, and trade the glass hurricanes for something less fragile with more weight..on you coffee table

You could stand a couple table lamps, so less light comes from the ceiling.. and beyond that?

A new cocktail table with a less light, small, leggy patio feel: )

I like a mix it up with the boho

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Home-Garden/Vintage-Bohemian-Ivory-Multi-Pink-Floral-Distressed-Rug-67-x-92/21614322/product.html?opre=1&option=36028181

Ruggables

Company c largest is 8 x0

• deegw
    3 months ago

The color is not right but I like the style of this rug with your art and antiques. If you like the style, use words like heritage and William Morris during your searches, it will steer you towards rugs like this that work with your existing decor.

• simplynatural
    3 months ago

What about moving the console table to the left wall in this photo, making that wall a gallery/display area for your collections (with lighting over it), visible from the seating area? Then move the lovely curved-back wood(?) chair to the seating area, lower center of this photo, at right angles to the sofa? Maybe fill that sofa/chair corner with the small table from between the two striped chairs and replace it with the chest from the window? There are then spaces for two table lamps (chest and small table), plus maybe a floor lamp at the far end of the sofa, giving you softer light than just the overheads? A bench or long ottoman could sit in front of the window if you want something there, without blocking the window. (This just shows the gallery wall idea; couldn't draw the rest decently!)

• Andee
    3 months ago

Definitely a darker rug. All the lighter rugs shown compete with the light sofa and chairs and eventually the alabaster wall.

• Olychick
    3 months ago

Haha, I kind of got stuck on one color/style but couldn't decide which I liked better so posted all 3.

• simplynatural
    3 months ago

You've seen lots of options here: lighter vs darker, contemporary vs traditional, more patterned vs less, sharply contrasting vs softer harmony--not to mention color. How to choose?!?

You can do your own playing by using an online rug visualizer, such as rugsdirect.com has. Choose a rug, click "See this rug in your room", upload your photo. Then change rugs to your heart's content. (It's great fun, actually; redecorating without $$!) You will begin to see a trend in those that speak to you. Have fun!

• PRO
    Kimberlee Marie Interiors
    10 days ago

Maybe try a cream or blue rug? You could go with a pattern but it would need to work with the chairs and not compete. We've included some rugs ideas from various designs we have done. Perhaps one of them will call to you.

Richmond Beach Remodel · More Info

Richmond Beach Remodel · More Info

Clyde Hill Home · More Info

Clyde Hill Home · More Info

Lakemont Luxury · More Info

Lakemont Luxury · More Info