Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_776998479

Décor help! What color should my wall tapestry be?

HU-776998479
last year

Hello!

im trying to decorate my front entrance and make it more elegant, but im unsure how to work with the items i already have (unfortunately I can’t buy anything new right now)

Im fiber artist and I have a 48” hoop that i can use to create pretty much anything as i have lots of cords in many colors.

this is the space i have, and i want to put the wall art above the bench

not sure how to make it more elegant,

should i go for neutrals? should i add more colors?

I added below some examples of what i think could work.

Comments (15)

• eld6161
    last year

Do a grouping, preferably different sizes.

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

There are a lot of busy lines in there. Maybe something calm? It's ok to go subtle on the wall, the rug is pretty exciting on its own. Also, I think this room could use a plant or two!

The rug looks like a rectangle? I would try turning it the other way, so it doesn't fill the room wall-to-wall like it is currently.

Or, maybe you need to go bigger and really fill that wall! You are the artist. How about a long tree branch with a beautiful weave? (I've also seen this done with simple straight yarn, which looks lovely as long as the yarn itself is beautifully textured.)

• localeater
    last year

Because of the strong curve in the rug, I like Seattle’s sugestion of something linear to be a counterpoint. I would like some of the olive incorporated, and I love the idea of a natural element like a branch. I could also see copper metal, or sea glass being integrated.

I also think you should soften the bench with a cushion, bringing another textile element. If not a cishion on the bench, what about the window?

• Lyban zone 4
    last year

I like your second example on the dark wall. any chance you would ’ike to go with a dark wall in there.

• nicole___
    last year

Lovely work! I like the wall painted black with the squares in the circle macrame.

Now...I'm thinking I want to do some string art.....

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

Unless you are going to paint the wall a dark color, I wouldn't use the natural color fiber. If the wall is going to remain off white, how about using a color from the rug?

• PRO
    AiFL
    last year

Ditto the idea to go much bigger than the 48”. Much much bigger.

• arcy_gw
    last year

I say you know best. As an artist you have a feel for color/design. Go with YOUR gut.

• HU-776998479
    Original Author
    last year

I flipped it. And tried the other side. What do you think?

• User
    last year

Honestly, I think it's not working for the space turned either direction. The size is awkward. But the bigger issue is that the pattern is so bold that it's dictating what you could put on the walls.

I realize you said your budget is tight, so I do apologize for the suggestion. I bought this mat from home depot for only $18, and I love it. It looks kind of plain on the website but I love it because it has a minimal look, almost scandi -- it looks like grey wool and has a subtle stripe texture. It has held up to five years worth of wet shoes, sap and pine needles and still looks new.

A simpler rug will free you up to put anything you want on the wall. Go big! You mentioned that you are the one making the textile artwork. A wood dowel from home depot will only be about $5, and you can create something big enough to fill the space.

• Bunny
    last year

I agree with Seattle. Your artwork is beautiful and shouldn't have to accommodate the rug. It should be the star.

• User
    last year

I found the full version of the artwork from your inspiration pic. I do think a 48" hoop could work if you find a way to make the artwork taller, like this.

The color in this mockup is different, I do like the green and camel version you posted.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I agree that a simple solid color rug would work better there. The flooring itself is pretty busy and a solid rug doesn´t fight with it.

And the rug does should not be right up next to the door. No one steps in the first few inches of the doorway. Put the rug at least 6 inches from the threshold.

• HU-776998479
    Original Author
    last year

I think I have a black doormat in the basement! Let me look for it, I really like the idea!

• User
    last year

I think I have a black doormat in the basement! Let me look for it,

Awesome! also "shop your house" for an accessory you could put on the bench, or on the floor next to it. A plant, pot, vase, or something. You can trim some branches from your yard to put in it. Or maybe a basket?

If you wanted to set something on the bench but was worried it will get knocked off, you can stick it in place damage-free with museum putty (poster putty will work in a pinch but is harder to work with).

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County