Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Can This idea fly?

Super Bowl is coming, I guess everyone wants chicken wings.

So I am working on this idea for making wings.

Objectives:

1. Delicious and tender.

2. Easy to eat with minimum mess.

3. Crispy skin, but not oily.

So, here is my method:

1. Peking duck seasonings marinated overnight.

2. Make wings straight for eating popsicle style.

3. Sous vide 10 hours.

4. Dehydrate at high temperature to dry the skin and render fat from under the skin.

4. Broil to finish crispy skin.

Objectives met. There will be happy eaters for the Super Bowl.

dcarch

Comments (18)

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Looks good, DC. Curious about what you consider ”Peking duck seasoning.” Looking at recipes online it ranges from the warm spices I associate with Christmas cookies, to Chinese five-spice, to little more flavoring than soy sauce and honey.

Also curious about the sous vide temp you used and how you landed on ten hours. If it were breast that would sound sketchy, but even with wings technically white meat I can see them standing up to it.

Glad you met your goal!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked foodonastump
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

They look really good but that is way more effort than I would go to for wings. Season with whatever you fancy and then low and slow on the the gas grill for about 45 minutes turning several times and then sauce them a few times. They are a little messy but nothing that a napkin or two can't handle.

For the big Chiefs/Bengals game today I am warming up some brisket that we had the processor smoke when we had our last steer processed. Brioche buns, baked beans, and potato salad to make it complete.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I'm sure they'll be delicious 😊

I'm curious how you straighten them out?

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Lars
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The Superbowl location this year is three miles from our house in L.A., and so we are making a point not to be here. There is another game at SoFi stadium today, and so we will be avoiding that area today as well. Traffic gets bad on our 405 exit (Manchester) when there are games, but we know now how to avoid that after having gotten caught in it twice. Fortunately we are west of the 405 and the stadium is east, and so we just stay west and north.

I hate football anyway😉

I saw an interesting recipe for Popsicle (ETA: Lollipop) chicken wings on DDD yesterday, but I did not write it down. I believe they were deep fried at the end.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked Lars
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Another decidedly not-a-football fan here 😀

And that reminded me of making scores of little 'jambons' of chicken wings for a party, that I learned from watching Jacques Pepin's PBS show in the 80s. So much prep for something that is eaten in 2 bites!

Now they're called 'lollipops'.

• Lars
    2 years ago

Thanks, Carol! I mean to say "lollipop" instead of Popsicle.

I believe that this was the recipe that I saw.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

In Jacques Pepin’s video on deboning chicken he has an aside about turning the wings inside out into lollipops. The thought of the skin on the inside does not sound appetizing to me, a similar averaion I have to the idea of turducken. Maybe they’re good, who knows.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Nice, DC.

My crowd always prefers both flats and drums (what some call lollipops). I prefer the easy grill method and use a spicy dry rub (usually a sprinkle of Tony Chacere’s) first to cook, followed by a hot sauce (Crystal Wing if I can find it). Then I stack the wings in a pyramid, leave on low indirect heat for about 30 minutes for the wings to absorb the sauce. I check periodically and rotate if any of the wings are getting a little too much heat.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked OutsidePlaying
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

we’re like Jack Sprat and his wife: I by far prefer the flats and my wife prefers the drumettes. Works out well!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

IMPE, when cooked properly, wing lollipops come out tender and tasty, and the skin winds up rather like marbling in meat. Pepin showed how to take out the smaller bone from the 'flats' and make those into pops too.

And does anybody remove skin from wings?

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

depends upon how many are coming and how many they can eat ... I like drumsticks, they go further ...

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

“And does anybody remove skin from wings?”

Not me as long as it’s well rendered and crispy. Flabby skin I can’t eat. But if you’re comparing it to marbling then it sounds like it renders and moistens the meat which I’d be good with.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I haven't seen any chicken wings in the grocery stores.....? Anyone else having a shortage?

DC...they look over-the-top DELICIOUS! Good job...and great photo! :0)

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked nicole___
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Thanks - I didn't notice the skewers 🙂

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

”’Peking duck‘seasonings are the typical seasoning for making Peking ducks, including seasonings for treating the skin.

You don’t say!

• clt3
    2 years ago

We've been eating wings for a long, long time as our dearest friends are from Buffalo. The best ones I've ever had were parboiled the night before then allowed to dry out in the refrigerator. This renders the fat and lets the skin crisp up nicely. I detest wings where the skin is gross and chewy.

• nancyjane_gardener
    2 years ago

Lars, my in-laws were about a mile from the Rose Bowl! They pretty much hibernated during that time!