Is it real or is it Memorex?

Rho Dodendron

Cleaning out Mother-in-Laws jam packed dresser full of clothes going back probably 60 years I found two interesting items, A Yves St Laurent shirt that probably is a knock off and a very genuine looking Chanel cashmere sweater.

Any ideas where to look to verify the items and what they are worth?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

I don't know about authenticating but I don't think counterfeit name brand clothes were much of a problem 60 years ago. I would assume they are real and would search on resale sites like poshmark and mercari and ebay for similar and the value.

Eta: I love a good treasure hunt. I found this listing from 2019 that appears to be the same sweater, different color. The other views at the link show the same buttons. I found a black one in the UK that sold but it doesn't give any price info, Maybe somewhere in the text here there is a description that will help you with search terms.

Chanel

Save     Thanked by Rho Dodendron
Rho Dodendron

The challenge is that I *have* looked all over and can find nothing except the Chanel with stripes and different buttons. Great point about counterfeits so long ago!

Save    
1929Spanish-GW

The Chanel authentic, probably mid-late 80’s. Can you share a close-up pf the YSL tags please?

Olychick

Rho, did you click on the link for the sweater I posted above. I'm pretty sure it's the same one.

Rho Dodendron

Yes the cream one from 2019 is the same sweater in a different color!

Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

I would guess the YSL is not authentic because I doubt there would be a label saying Mira Fashion in it.

Lars

I agree with Cyn427 - the label should say "Saint Lauren, Paris" or "Yves Saint Lauren".

There should be additional labels identifying fiber content and where it was made. Listing fiber content is required by law in the U.S., since Sept 2, 1958.

What do the other labels say? Fiber content is important.

Rho Dodendron

There are no other labels and no evidence that anything was clipped off. From comments over the years about MIL and hand-me-downs from her cousins I would not be surprised if these clothes were older than August 1958.

Save    
Lars

The brand Yves Saint Laurent was established in 1962, and so the shirt cannot be older than that. It could have been manufactured for sale in a country other than the USA, but then it still could not have been sold here legally.

Did your mother buy black market clothing, even if innocently? This could easily happen in cities like New York or Chicago.

1929Spanish-GW

Sorry, busy day today. The YSL is not aithentic, but it’s also not trying to be. What I mean is it’s not a fake label either. In the 80’s, designers licensed their names and the items were produced by different makers. Labels for these goods might read Yves Saint Laurent Variations. This is not a licensed product either.

Rho Dodendron

Thanks to all for the comments and help. Methinks YSL is on it's way to my favourite NFP thrift store for them to earn the money. I asked my daughter to help me sell the Chanel online.

Save    
1929Spanish-GW

What’s the length & pit to pit measurement and is it a true camel color? Based on that, I might message you.☺️

Rho Dodendron

Metal measuring tape. The only thing I could think of to show the color against Realter Beige carpet was blindingly white envelopes. The sweater has been in N.C. since 1984 (upstate New York previously) and looks to me like it has never been worn more than twice.

Save    
1929Spanish-GW

Thanks. Unfortunately its too small for me. I’ve sold a fair amount of Chanel on eBay. The key to getting maximim value is to have it cleaned first and go over every inch looking for bug damage, which can be hidden on these older pieces. feel free to message me with any questions.

Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever