Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

mangy looking chipmunk in yard —

petalique
12 days ago

For the past weekI have noticed a chipmunk with what appears to bea broad patch of mange across its mid-back. It seems lively and does not appear ill.

If it is mange, this (mites) could spread to other chipmunks and possibly to squirrels and rabbits.

I will probably call the state wildlife folks.

Has anyone else ever noted a (?) mange infected wild animal in their yard and gardens? We have stopped feeding birds.

Comments (22)

• Patriciae
    12 days ago

Is it possible that it lost fur to an attack it survived?

petalique thanked Patriciae
  • HU-787167202
    12 days ago

It's POSSIBLE there are a few different scenarios here. But it makes much more sense to attempt to stir the pot, get everyone FREAKED OUT and just make something up. uggggg

petalique thanked HU-787167202
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 days ago

Thinking the same as Patriciae - I've seen some mangled squirrel survivors of predator attacks around our park. Birds of prey grab them from above...

petalique thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • pudgeder
    11 days ago

I've never noticed a "balding" squirrel, however we do have an occasional bald Cardinal show up. (there are such birds as "bald cardinals" although they are not common in our area.)

Why did you stop feeding the birds Petal?

petalique thanked pudgeder
  • petalique
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

A couple of reasons. There are hungry black bear in the area and they are attracted to birdseed, feeders, hummingbird sugar water (as well as any freshly baked pies cooling next a an open kitchen window).

The other is that the bluejays wolf down a lot of the BOS Black Oil Sunflower seeds and scatter it from the platform feeder to the ground. Then mice, birds, chipmunls and squirrel gobble it up and also the cottontails. This would be okay, but all of those critters keep the Lyme Diseased deer tick population thriving.

We have a lot of deer ticks here. A couple of weeks ago I found one embedded in my back. Ugh. I despise those things.

Black bear are interesting on TV or YouTube, but we have had them in the yard and some have come right up to the house to grab suet feeders. Too close for comfort.

I need to remember to buy bear spray — though I don’t want to get that close. I’ve had close calls.

I’ve never heard of a bald cardinal. What make them that way? No budget for Rogaine?

Black bear at someone's nearby wooded area home a few years ago. Not my photo.

• claudia valentine
    11 days ago

Recently I sat quietly in a chair and just watched a squirrel sitting in a tree in front of me. It looked as if it might be "happy", however that would be for a squirrel. It was rather amusing. At one point, he draped his body over a limb and just hung out there as if he was lounging in a hammock. He seemed to smile! But, he just could not stop scratching! I guess they get parasites that live on them, too.

I see very few chipmunks. Once in a while. I see fewer squirrels than I used to. We have a neighbor who picks them off with a air gun or poison. He is a real nasty person, all the way around....just a really dispicable person from any angle. But that is a different topic.....

petalique thanked claudia valentine
  • colleenoz
    11 days ago

Apparently there is a mite that attacks the cardinals' head feathers and then they fall out.

petalique thanked colleenoz
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 days ago

Petalique, there is a mite the first year fawns will sometimes get their first winter in this mild wet climate. They can look pretty scrufty/mangy this time of year. If we haven't had a real cold snap where they've become too chilled not dressed warmly, they acquire their summer coats and do fine, never seeming to have that take place again. I've never seen it on an adult deer....I don't believe even on a two yr old deer. I have about 4 that visit right now that could use a trip to the groomers. Only guessing but assuming they'll look pretty again in a few short weeks, their scratching (must itch) cannot help. Maybe something similar is taking place with your chipmunk.

petalique thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Anna Devane
    11 days ago

Chipmunks can get mange and it can be treated with ivermectin. You should try to get a photo of the chipmunk and talk to a local wildlife dept about buying/dosing.

petalique thanked Anna Devane
  • blfenton
    11 days ago

OT - Thank-you for not feeding the bears (I mean birds) during the spring/summer because the bird feeders do attract the bears. My MIL always used to put out a bird feeder even though we live in bear country but she didn't care about it being a bear attractant. One day she came into the kitchen to find a bear in it - I wonder why? Bears wind up being killed by the conservation officers because of jerks like her. We have guidelines to follow to keep both bears and people safe.

petalique thanked blfenton
  • chisue
    11 days ago

carolb -- Glad to have a name for that! One hot summer we were amused by a family of raccoons that lolled in the various 'vees' of some cottonwoods across the creek from our house. Raccoons are so cute anyway, but these guys were really entertaining. We never saw that again, but now I know the correct term: splooting.

petalique thanked chisue
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 days ago

Dogs and cats do it too 🙂

• petalique
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I love it. Somewhere I have photos of a squirrel splooting and napping on a bird platform feeder just outside our window. We have red-tailed, Coopers and sharp chinned hawks and they like MODOs and rodents.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 days ago

We can't treat wildlife here. Only allowed by licensed rehabbers and we have two, one of those quite ill herself the last couple of years. I don't think the meds could even be obtained from a vet unless quietly, a friend. There was a fawn here two - three years ago the neighbors desperately wanted to treat, a late fawn with no Mom in sight. She was fed grain by them, not the milk it looked like she needed. They provided a warm dry place to sleep she could enter at her choosing and she did choose to use it. She made it, but is still undersized even now although appearing otherwise healthy.

I don't think our wildlife staff would have pitched in with no obvious man caused injuries.

Wildlife did leave a deer roaming our neighborhood with a bright tag in its ear. It had fishing net entangled in its horns and they'd had to dart, medicate to remove. Any time they medicate an animal of any species they must tag it - warning anyone having it for any reason it received drugs and could not be eaten! I called them and asked. I can't even.....😒

petalique thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • petalique
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I was curious. Wildlife staff have their plates full. I will let ature take kts course. There are many chipmunks and squirrels. I wish the chippy well. Life can be hard and cruel.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 days ago

What is/are MODOs?

And lets be real - it's a chipmunk - lots of people regard them as pests.

This just reminded me that for a long time, there was a squirrel @ our park with what looked like mange in its tail - fur was very sparse to almost gone, yet I never saw another that looked like it had anything similar.

I'm also reminded of animals that will scratch and worry their fur or feathers away when they have itchy insect bites.

• petalique
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Agree carolb ;) As you can probably guess, I was curious, not clutching pearls.

One winter we had a grey squirrel that had lost its tail. I dubbed him ”Bob.” Unfortunately later that winter when the snow got deep, I could see he was struggling. He did not make it to spring. I imagine some predator found him easy pickings.

MODO — Mourning Dove

RBG —Rose-Breasted Grossbeak (they are back for the spring and summer; lovely song)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 days ago

Mourning doves are like rabbits(& mice, squirrels & chipmunks), IMO - meant to be prey.

Gotta love it when some folks read so much into people's words and leap to conclusions 😏

• petalique
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I agree — items in Nature’s Grocery Store.

Gotta love it when some folks read so much into people's words and leap to conclusions 😏

I know! Sometimes I wonder if it is pur reading comprehension skils;, sloppy, fast reading; or reactive psychological projection from fear and anxiety.

Is it any wonder that we have so many people so misinformed, chowing down on patent propaganda and supporting a some outrageous characters.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 days ago

IMO, it often seems like an irresistible impulse to unleash simmering, misdirected hostility - IOW, knee-jerk reactions.

I also wonder whether some people might have been drinking 🤔

• petalique
    Original Author
    9 days ago

That had not occurred to me — interesting point😵‍💫