Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

How Far Ahead Do You Bake Your Pies for a Holiday?

How far ahead do you bake your holiday pies. I usually bake mine the day before as there is not time the day of. How about you?

Sue

Comments (41)

• plllog
    4 years ago

It depends on the pie, and what else is going on. My favorite for the taste of the pie is the evening before. Just now I have to contend with not feeling great (mostly allergic, but it feels like the flu even if one isn't particularly sick) and impending rain, I have to do most of the cooking here and serve it there, so I'd hoped to bake yesterday and freeze there today. Instead, I'm cooking the pumpkin today, and starting the apples tonight, and baking the pies tomorrow, taking them and chilling there. It'll be okay if they have enough time to cool. There's plenty of fridge space there. Hm... maybe I can bake tonight. That would be better for them to finish steaming off...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked plllog
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Since I am a guest and do not host myself, I make all my holiday contributions at least the day before. That gives plenty of time for the product - whatever it is - to cool properly and be safe for chilled transport. If it needs reheating, that can be done at the destination in either the oven (after the turkey, etc. in the case of a pie) or in the microwave or toaster oven.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

I'm obsessive to making things as close as possible to the consumption day. I'm making a cheesecake, an apple cake, and a pumpkin pie the day before.

I do have a question for the apple cake. Should I refrigerate it? I have always made it the day it will be eaten.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked eld6161
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I have never refrigerated any kind of cake......other than cheesecake :-) As with bread, refrigeration will dry it out. Just keep it well covered and it should be fine.

• Lars
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I do refrigerate apple cake (torta di mele) after a couple of days, but if you will eat it within two days, it will not be necessary. I have a Tupperware container that is air tight, and so it does not dry out, even in the refrigerator. My brother and I do not eat much in the way of sweets, and so a cake will last us over a week, and therefore I have to refrigerate it, as it can get moldy otherwise. There is also the consideration of fruit flies, and the Tupperware helps keep those away.

I generally make pies the day before, but on occasion, I have made one two days before, but not a cream pie. Pecan pie keeps well.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lars
  • Chi
    4 years ago

Day before but I make the filling 2 days before. Pumpkin pie filling benefits from "sitting" before baking. All the spices mingle more.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Chi
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

Since it's just the five of us, I don't worry about it. Lol! If we want pie, I usually ask Marie Callendar and Betty Crocker for help. My 16 year old wants to bake the pies from scratch this year so we'll make them today or tomorrow. I told the kids that since we basically have a month of holidays, we'll just bake throughout the month and enjoy the food at our leisure.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Adella Bedella
  • Michele
    4 years ago

Doing all the shopping and errands tomorrow. After I get the laundry done. Wednesday after I go to my mom’s and do her laundry cleaning and shopping, I’m going to come home and do whatever prepping I can do in advance. I would make them Wednesday and leave them out, but with four birthdays and Christmas baking in December ahead I’ve decided someone else is in charge of pies. Buy or make. Whatever. As long as one is pecan it will be fine with me

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michele
  • User
    4 years ago

Before I stopped eating crisco shortening, I always made the shell the day before baking the pie so it could "rest" in the fridge overnight. I will not serve a store bought shell, yuck!

I would make the pies ahead of time since it was one less thing to do.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I am not a baker, except for shortbread cookies and kipferle, so I order apple and pecan pie from a wonderful local restaurant one week in advance. We pick up the pies on Wednesday, and they are still warm from the oven.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I would of done it today, but I am trying Julia Child's pumpkin pie this year so I am making it on Wednesday. Presently I just took my last pumpkin roll out of the oven.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

I always make my pies the day before Thanksgiving. Definitely not on turkey day. They hold well so why not make them ahead. There's a lot you can do ahead.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chloebud
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

I’m making mine on Tuesday because that’s the only day I have to do it. It will take lots of willpower not to eat them before Thanksgiving.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dedtired
  • marylmi
    4 years ago

I used to make all of my desserts the day before.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marylmi
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

For many years, I got up at 4 am to bake the pies fresh. Now the night before is fine!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

Making a mini pumpkin pie (6") for daughter and s-i-l and a large (10" deep dish) apple pie. Will make on Wednesday.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked georgysmom2
  • annie1992
    4 years ago

Pies are made the day before, except things like banana cream, which does not benefit from sitting in the refrigerator that long. This year I'm making a caramel nut tart, cheesecake and Nutella mousse the day before, but the banana cream pie the day of dinner.

Annie

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked annie1992
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

I already made a HUGE pumpkin cheese cake and a pumpkin pie we ate.....oh wait...you mean the one I'm going to serve for Thanksgiving? ha ha The day before.....pecan pie.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • salonva
    4 years ago

When I did my share of hosting for like 30 or 35 years, I always baked the night before. Logistically I just couldn't do it all on Thursday. I guess if I had 2 ovens it would have been doable, but with one oven no way.

I also always made pecan pie which from my experience needs at least a night to set a spell.:)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked salonva
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Good to see I'm not the only one making pies on Wednesday! I'm working that afternoon, so I'll make apple in the morning and pumpkin pies in the evening.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • annie1992
    4 years ago

salonva, I do have two full sized ovens, but I still bake the pies the day before. That leaves one oven for the turkey, the ham goes into the Nesco Roaster, and I can use the other oven for the dinner rolls which I like to serve fresh from the oven, and whatever side dishes that need oven time, like candied yams and the cornbread stuffing.

Annie

• norar_il
    4 years ago

Boy, am I in the minority! The pies are baked in the morning of the day they are to be eaten. I don't mind eating left-over pie the day after it was baked, but I want them fresh for the big meal.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked norar_il
  • plllog
    4 years ago

I'm in the camp of pies were invented as a way to preserve.

My pumpkin pie is steaming out. Ricky's recipe, and the tester was delicious! I just need it to cool enough to take to the Thanksgiving house.

• Louiseab
    4 years ago

I once worked with a girl that was American. She told me that she would be making several pies for dessert. I don’t know if it’s a Canadian way, but in my circle, we would usually only make one dessert whether it be a pie of some sort or a cheesecake or a trifle.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Louiseab
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I make the day before. This year my DD is bringing creme brûlée (DGD’s request) and my brother is bringing a pumpkin cheesecake. No pie this year, but we are all fine with that. Even though I have a double oven, I prefer to get the messy baking out of the way the evening before.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • plllog
    4 years ago

Louise, I think you're right that it's an American thing, though maybe some Canadians do it too. I think it probably comes from the old farm days with big families. It's a pie thing. We usually only make one dessert, though many could be served "a la mode" (ice cream rather than whipped cream). Pies are different. Dinner for four one wouldn't make a bunch of pies, but if you're going to need three pies to feed everybody, you might make three different ones rather than all the same. Then there's the "pie auction". The pie doler outer calls out, "Who wants pumpkin? Who wants apple? Who wants pecan?" and the special requests, "just a sliver", or half a piece of each, or apple but a taste of pumpkin come back.

It's not universal. Some people would make three of the same pie. Others would make a cake instead. I have an awesome recipe for chocolate pumpkin marble bundt, which feeds an army. Pies are fun to make, though.

Since my company doubled, I've been thinking I'd make an apple pie or tart as well as the pumpkin I made today, but I spent two hours in gridlock today, so I don't know if I'll get it done. I do have ice cream as well, and they can just have smaller pieces if there's just the one pie. :)

• annie1992
    4 years ago

I have 14 people coming and as plllog said, I'd have to make three pies, so I might as well make three different things. Now my youngest daughter has requested peach cobbler, in honor of my Dad, because that was his favorite dessert. So, I'll either ditch the caramel nut tart or I'll have FOUR desserts. (sigh) And everyone can take some home to eat the next day with their turkey and ham sandwiches....

Annie

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I'm making pumpkin and chocolate cream pie this afternoon for tomorrow to take to my cousins. Yum!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am baking my pies today, Black Raspberry and Pumpkin. I also will bake an apple crisp. I am making two batches of yeast rolls today, deviling the eggs and tomorrow I will make the dressing, the gravy and the candied sweet potatoes. I hope I have not forgotten any thing. There will be around 15 of us. Others are bringing food too.

Sue

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I can't imagine not making the pies (or whatever else one can do) ahead of time!! IME, pies and similar baked good desserts taste just as good - if not better - when prepared a day or two in advance.

And yes, a choice of desserts is typically available, although the dessert course is not a big player in our holiday dinners :-) Everyone is too full from the dinner itself to eat much more than bite or two of dessert. Leftovers go home with the guests along with the turkey and sides............

I am making a pear cranberry tart today and my sister (who is hosting) is making a pumpkin pie for the traditionalists. There will be 9 of us altogether.

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

I bake them a day early. If DH ever decides to get out of the kitchen I will get started soon. :)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked cooper8828
  • plllog
    4 years ago

The cooking was going quickly, so I sliced up some apples. With any luck, they'll be day before the dinner pie. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

My pies are baked shells and then filled and refrigerated so they have to be made ahead.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

At hubby's request, we are having blackberry cobbler for Thanksgiving Day dessert. It is in the oven now and hubby is under strict instructions not to touch it until after we have our T-day dinner tomorrow. He just loves cobbler, especially blackberry, but he likes it cold which is one of the reasons I made it today. After it cools, it's going in the fridge to chill.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

Pies are made when the time allows. This year I didn't work Wednesday so that was pie day. If I had worked I may have started earlier and made one each night..When ever I make them they will be "FRESH"! Pie/cake dessert is FRESH until it's cut in to! hahahahah But then I am a do what can be done ahead kind a gal. Last week we baked a turkey--stuffed so my stuffing is done and my gravy fixings ready. The mashed potatoes casserole is done and frozen at least a week early. Cranberries--two kinds were made Monday. All there is to do today is the fresh fruit salad and DH will grill/smoke the turkey we will serve. The daughters are all bringing the rest--done before they got here earlier this week. I have soup and pulled pork done and waiting for the meals for the rest of the weekend. I made an egg bake and over night oats and a variety of sweet breads for breakfasts. My kitchen is too small, cooking is too messy and time consuming to do it while company is underfoot.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arcy_gw
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I prefer pies that contain spices like pumpkin, sweet potato, apple , etc made at least the day before. It gives the spices time to marry. Meringues and berry pies, I like made the same day.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • bob_cville
    4 years ago

Yesterday was pie day. I asked a friend of a friend who is coming what her favorite pie is. She responded sweet potato pie or rhubarb pie. Since I don't particularly like sweet potato pie, I decided to make a raspberry-rhubarb pie. Then because I had a little of the pie crust left, and because this person has worked in Africa with forest elephants, I made a decoration atop the pie crust.

I realized this morning that there will be no way to cut the pie to serve without also hacking the elephant decoration to pieces. I hope it doesn't trigger bad memories from experiences in Africa.

She and the elephants she was studying are featured in the documentary film titled Elephant Path http://elephantpathfilm.org/

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bob_cville
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

That's awesome, bob! You have the pie preserved forever through your photos. I can't imagine that your friend won't love that you put in the effort to create such a wonderful tribute to her and her work.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Despite all of his promises to leave it alone, I caught hubby poking at the cobbler right before bedtime last night! Luckily, I was able to put a stop to it before any serious damage was done. *sigh*

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

DH made the crusts a couple weeks ago. Thanksgiving is tomorrow, Friday, for us so today is my prep day. Not decided if I will bake today or tomorrow morning...but I prefer the morning of the day, fresh. No issues with day before if time is a crunch.

If we attempted to pull this off today we would not have pie at all.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)