Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Do You Have a Recipe You Are Wanting to Make?

I have a pie recipe I am wanting to try, but maybe for Christmas. I think you could even put diced dates in it and some other things if you don't like what it calls for.

NOW FOR THIS FAMILY RECIPE: JAPANESE PIE 3/4 STICK BUTTER MELTED 1 CUP SUGAR 3 LARGE EGGS 1 TSP. VANILLA EXTRACT 3/4 CUP CHOPPED PECANS 1/2 CUP GOLDEN RAISiNS (IF DRY PLUMP IN WATER PRIOR) 1/2 CUP FLAKED COCONUT 1 DASH SALT 1 PIE CRUST Mix melted butter, sugar, eggs, salt and vanilla well with wire whisk. Add pecans, raisins and coconut. Mix well and pour into a 9" pie crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Let pie cool on wire rack to keep crust from sweating on the bottom. This pie doesn't have to be refrigerated so it is great for the holidays!

Do you have a new recipe you want to make and would like to share?4

Sue

Comments (25)

• marcopolo5
    4 years ago

Marilyn , Your recipe sounds like something I need to make. Has all the ingredients that i like. Would that fit into a standard 9in . Or would deep dish be better?

I have my mother's fruit cake recipe, it makes a 10 inch tube pan, weoghs about 7 LB. Would like to make it, but none of us need the kind of caloies that the smallest slice contants. I made it once after she died. Guess we will just keep it as a fond memory and not a tradition.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marcopolo5
  • Chi
    4 years ago

I am considering trying a chocolate cream pie from KAF. I'd have to find a new crust though as I don't like using shortening.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-cream-pie-recipe

I'm making quite a few new recipes for Thanksgiving. I'm doing an appetizer with individual roasted brussel sprout halves topped with a small dab of brie, a candied walnut and drizzled with hot honey. Also baked camembert with garlic, thyme and rosemary.

I am also trying a new stuffing - rustic porcini onion. Turnips gratin, baked spinach, green beans gremolata, balsamic braised brussels sprouts, kale salad with cider vinaigrette and apple pie cookies. All new to me this year!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Chi
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think the ingredients would fit in a 9 inch pan or dish.

Sue

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

I really need to make my mother in laws no bake fruit cake for my husband. He absolutely loves it. He has not had any since she passed away. I made it once before but tried to double it. That was a mistake!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

I had never heard of Japanese pie before this thread. I just opened my you tube and there it was on the front page! Looks good.

https://youtu.be/wQUjusXTjsA

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Chi ... that KAF recipe sounds like a flavorful recipe. In lieu of the flour crust, I would crumble a box of graham crackers OR vanilla wafers and add melted butter ...

marcopolo ... would you share the recipe for the fruit cake?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Raven, that is where I got the recipe from. I watch her all the time. We would have potato salad for Thanksgiving if someone requested it or brought it, we are not ones for same old each meal but do like a lot of the same things for special get togethers. My children and I are always together for Holidays and sometimes birthdays. We may have potato salad on New Year's Eve as we have a 30 year or more tradition of having a cookout each New Year's Eve.

Sue

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I am making a choc cream pie for tgiving to go along with my pumpkin chiffon. I came across this recipe which sounds uber chocolate-y. But I cheat and just bake a frozen pie crust...so much more consistent than my own.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/chocolate-cream-pie.html#tabrecipe

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • foodonastump
    4 years ago

Serious Eats Vegetable Wellington. Been on my to-do list for years. It sounds like a lot of work which wouldn’t dissuade me in and of itself, but the occasions I want it for require transport and I’m not sure how well that would work out. Too much work to risk!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/vegetables-wellington-the-ultimate-plant-based-vegan-holiday-roast-recipe.html

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked foodonastump
  • Chi
    4 years ago

Oh wow, I want that vegetable wellington!

• marcopolo5
    4 years ago

Bragu, no problem sharing. I will have to type it out . It is hand written and will not scan. Will be after Thanksgiving, i am the cook/ hostess.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marcopolo5
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

I love the taste of eggnog but not the thickness that makes it hard to swallow sometimes. I found this recipe for Eggnog Fudge I want to try: https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/eggnog-fudge/

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • Chi
    4 years ago

Ediej, I have a recipe for eggnog snickerdoodles that I found on the cooking forum that are excellent, if you're interested! They were my favorite part of the cookie baskets I made last year.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Chi, I'd love to try them. Thanks!

• Chi
    4 years ago

Here you go - I used the rum extract, but couldn't find brandy extract so I think I used the real stuff.

Eggnog Snickerdoodles
    posted by Alexa

2 3/4c flour
    1 1/2c sugar
    1 c butter
    2 eggs
    2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp nutmeg (optional, but it is better with a little)
    1/2 tsp brandy extract
    1/2 tsp rum extract
    Sugar mix:
    1/4c sugar
    1 tsp nutmeg

Mix cookie ingredients. Shape into walnut sized balls. Roll in combined sugar mixture.

Bake 8-10 minutes @ 375. Yields: 4 doz.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Thank you, Chi, those do sound good!

• joann_fl
    4 years ago

I found this recipe about a week or so ago and made it tonight. It's very good and very easy to make. Pumpkin spice Almonds (no baking)

• llitm
    4 years ago

For anyone who may need a dairy-free pumpkin pie recipe, I made this today for the first time. I substituted oat milk for coconut milk. DH and I didn't feel it would be right to serve an untested recipe to guests without first giving it a taste test. We deemed it delicious but decided we should do due diligence and confirm later this evening. ;) (Fortunately, I doubled up the pie crust recipe and have lots of dough in the fridge, so can easily whip up another pie tomorrow should this one disappear between now and then )

https://www.godairyfree.org/ask-alisa/ask-alisa-do-you-have-a-good-pumpkin-pie-recipe-that-is-milk-free-and-soy-free

I'm giving this Ina Garten turkey recipe a try as a friend did it last year and said it was a hit:

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/make-ahead-roast-turkey

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked llitm
  • Chi
    4 years ago

Are you doing the gravy too, whatsayyou? It looks similar to her onion cognac gravy that I make every year - it's delicious! The caramelization makes all the difference. I did a 6x batch for the freezer and spent almost 3 hours caramelizing them.

• llitm
    4 years ago

Chi, yes I'm planning to. My friend loved it, too!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked llitm
  • bob_cville
    4 years ago

I was thinking of something similar to the time-honored, much-maligned green bean casserole. And given that asparagus was on sale I am thinking of making something like this:

https://www.chrislovesjulia.com/scratch-made-green-bean-casserole/

which subs in asparagus for the beans.

I tried the recipe on Monday night, as well as I could given that I only had turkey bacon, and white mushrooms and shredded Parmesan cheese rather than the bacon, crimini mushrooms and asiago cheese

And while the result was pretty good, I think I need to adjust something for tomorrow. I'm just not sure what.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bob_cville
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

We're going to daughter's house for Thanksgiving but son will be here so I'm cooking a turkey on Friday because we love turkey sandwiches. I will be making a mini Thanksgiving dinner for Friday night.......turkey, gravy, golden mashed potato casserole (has shredded carrots and green onions in it.) spinach casserole, and am going to try a new recipe for butternut squash and corn pudding. I want to see if I would like to use the recipes for Christmas dinner with a baked ham.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked georgysmom2
  • l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Well, because of this forum I have to add "maple walnut shortbread" to my "want to make" list. Another thing is this cranberry pear chutney that I might be able to swing for Thanksgiving. And last but not least, maybe this year will be the one I get time to make lebkuchen. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/lebkuchen-recipe

Lgmd that cranberry fruit bread sounds great, and I have this chopped candied fruit that I really need to use up. Normally fruitcake is too sweet for my taste, but adding cranberries is a brilliant idea.

Edited to add, "Eggnog snickerdoodles" are one of the wonderful things CF brought into my life!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked l pinkmountain
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

I just made the following cranberry sauce. It smells wonderful. I love nuts and truly wanted to put in the walnuts, but several who will be here tomorrow for Thanksgiving Dinner cannot have nuts, so I did not add them. Also, I could not find raspberry juice, but did find an Ocean Spray Cranberry-Raspberry and used that.

PAUL’S HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE

This stuff is to die for. Paul works in our frame shop in St. Augustine, and like us he loves to cook. When he offered to bring his homemade cranberry sauce to Thanksgiving dinner I didn't hesitate in accepting. Bursting with flavor it represents a delightful departure from the canned sauce we're all so used to. Wonderful flavors and the crunch of walnuts...mmmm...terrific.

1 cup real maple syrup

1 cup cranberry or raspberry juice

1 bag fresh cranberries

1 medium orange, zested

1 cup walnut halves or pieces

Combine syrup, juice, zest and cranberries in saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower to medium heat and cook until cranberries pop open, about 10 minutes. Skim off any excess foam and add walnuts. Stir to combine and refrigerate to chill before serving.