Does your iPhone do things on it’s own?

eld6161

Today I noticed the half moon next to the time. It’s for Do Not Disturb. I didn't go into my settings and ddo this.

It took me 15 minutes to find out how to remove it.

My phone will also call random numbers on its own but it’s when I carry it in my pocket. But I still don't understand how it does when it takes a few consecutive steps to make a call as did removing the DND icon.

Anyone else?

SaveComment22Like
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littlebug Zone 5 Missouri

Yesterday my iphone created a new folder (called Lifestyles) on my home screen and put 3 of my apps in it. WTH? One app was Dollar General, one was for my robo vac, and the other was for our home security cameras.

I asked hubby to take them back out of that folder for me, but the robo vac one is stuck in there. 😵‍💫

1 Like Save     Thanked by eld6161
eld6161

That has happened to me too. I have to hold on it until it jiggles, then I can remove it. It’s like the phone d3cides you need to be more organized!

1 Like Save    
jrb451

I've noticed that oftentimes some of my settings change after an iOS update. There've been a few lately so there's that.

petalique

My iphone will suddenly turn all my typed text in the text message app to all caps. Often it does this while I am typing voice to text.

Sometimes when I am reading the Apple News, if I expand an image, the image lverlaps the operational radio buttons at the top of the screen (like back arrow, or save or send).

I have to shut the phone down and restart it. Iphone 14 Pro with up to date iOS

Save     Thanked by eld6161
vgkg Z-7 Va

No problems with my flip phone, especially since it's turned off 95% of the time ;-)

3 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
foodonastump

For me, things like do not disturb mode happen inadvertantly but not on their own. More common, turning on the flashlight or taking a random picture.

You don’t need to go to settings to turn dp not disturb on and off. Just swipe down and touch the button. Easy to do by accident.

JoanM

I got trapped using the multi finger tap thing a few times. It’s a neat feature if you can control it. After every update I make sure to check that the auto dial of 911 when picking up the phone by it’s sides, is still off.

Fran

Phones and GPS's have a mind of their own. When I came out of my bridge game, the other day my phone told . me it was 8 miles to the supermarket which iis where I often go on the way home from my game. AI at work and it's only only going to get worse.

eld6161

So true. You say something out loud the next thing you know it's in your advertisements.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Has anyone gone to apple.com and checked the Community and Support posts to see if others have experienced &/or solved the same issue? I've had some luck figuring stuff out that way.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/iphone

https://getsupport.apple.com/topics

And is Siri turned on or off?

eld6161

I google and many options pop up. A few did not work.

Jrb, good point about changes occurring after an update.Still…i don't think thatveould account for my DND change.

Food, I know you think it was easy to do by but…..you have to tsp the half moon, if I'm not on that screen ever, how could it happen on its own?

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Eld, to be sure we’re on the same page, I’m talking about this screen which requires nothing but a casual swipe to access. No face ID, no code, just a swipe from a locked screen. You don’t occasionally end up here just from pulling your phone out of your bag or pocket? I certainly do.

Save    
bpath

Not an iPhone, but my iPad. Last night I had several tabs open. When I opened it this morning, there were two tabs. and the options I normally use to restore them were not there. However, I can see them, and others, in my tab history. So weird.

Elmer J Fudd

" You don’t need to go to settings to turn dp not disturb on and off. Just swipe down and touch the button. "

What I've experienced is that some changes I've made by swiping down get changed back by the next morning to where they were before I made the change. Changes made in Settings usually stay as you leave them. Not always. Maybe my experience is an outlier.

Otherwise, Yes, my iPhone does do things on its own.

An example, I keep a number of functions like Bluetooth and Location turned off to prolong battery life when not needed. When I get in one car, the Bluetooth setting changes to On and it "automatically" connects to the car. Fine, except I used a second phone in that car. Workaround, I need to turn off my main phone, boot the second phone, start the car to connect the 2nd to Bluetooth. Then, reboot the first phone.

Other things happen from time to time too and YES, it's very ANNOYING. This is my first iPhone after decades of Android use. In a way I miss the Android world. Just as with Windows versus Mac PCs, I want to decide how I want different behaviors to be set to act and I don't want the device to overrule my choices.

Jupidupi

A couple of years ago I was in a car and we were listening to a podcast where someone talked about calling 911. Next thing I know, my phone is ringing with a 911 operator asking if I was OK.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I'm guessing that some people do keep their voice assistants(Siri on iPhones) turned on...

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

That could be. Mine is off.

Save    
JoanM

Siri, Alexa and the cameras still creep me out.

All are off with cameras covered unless needed for a purpose.

I agree that Apple tries to help you so much it can be annoying. I will just try to focus on the upsides since the devices really are very simple considering what they do. I always go to the Apple forums first when looking up a problem and the answer is always there.

I 💜 my iPad.

Save    
eld6161

Food, yes that is what I get. For me i’ve never had it go there, but if it did, that moon would still have to be pressed with a finger!

Save    
Toronto Veterinarian

Sometimes my phone will dial someone or play a "memory" from photos, or start playing my audiobook, but it's usually related to the last function I had open. I presume it's picking up some static in my pocket, that causes a couple of "buttons" to be activated. Sometimes it will increase the speed of my audiobook audio, if I've left that app open. None of those things worry me.

Read the book Pegasus if you want to be scared about your phone and cybersecurity issues. While the iPhone is among the most secure phone out there, nothing is secure.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
eld6161

^^^^agree^^^

Save    
petalique

Sounds interesting.

Pegasus: How a Spy in Your Pocket Threatens the End of Privacy, Dignity, and Democracy Hardcover – January 17, 2023

by Laurent Richard (Author), Sandrine Rigaud (Author), & 1more4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars

If I can get the app, I can tell who is removing certain posts.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Organizing Organizing Secrets: It’s the Little Things
Get these 8 small areas under control for a major boost in overall tidiness at home
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies Gardening for the Bees, and Why It’s a Good Thing
When you discover how hard bees work for our food supply, you may never garden without them in mind again
Full Story
Housekeeping It’s Time to Clean Your Gutters — Here’s How
Follow these steps to care for your gutters so they can continue to protect your house
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever