Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Say Goodbye to Wisk

mamapinky0
7 years ago

Unilever launched the first US liquid laundry detergent in 1956, Wisk. For years it was touted as the detergent to remove *Ring Around the Collar* In 2008 Sun Products bought Wisk.

Henkel has now bought Sun Products and has decided to discontinue Wisk.

If your a detergent collector you better grab your bottle now.

I like wisk, such a shame were losing it.

What do you think, will Snuggle FS be next?

Comments (354)

• Alex Chicago
    6 years ago

CR would never hire our dear MamaP. Well, not unless she started washing in cold water on the Normal cycle.

I can think of lots of improbable things that are more likely to happen before that!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would donate all of my detergent collection, my beloved vintage percale sheets, my Duet, and my right arm before using cold water. I get the creeps just thinking about how my bed would smell if washed in cold...no I'd sooner take a bite of elephant dung.

• alexsus
    6 years ago

mamapinkyO - you are so eloquent. I love it....<3

• misshayes1221
    6 years ago

OMG!!! I finally was able to let the Wisk anger go and had moved on to ALL with Oxi clean (on the suggestion of this forum). The scent wasn't too strong and it seemed to clean ok. I felt like it was a comparrible product to Wisk. Well I bought a bottle today from Target, came home washed a load of clothes and was like WHAT IS THAT SMELL!!! It smells a lot more purfume like than my last bottle, which I still had. I went back to the store and went through 3 bottles and 2 of them had the same serial number range and were the new scent and the third (the bottle at the back of the shelf) had a different number and was the old scent. Long story somewhat short, they have changed the OXI scent to a much stronger scent and the old scent (which I like) is now on the plain ALL. They say the same wording minus the word OXI! WTH are these companies trying to do to us!!! UGH!!

• alexsus
    6 years ago

misshayes1221 - This sounds like a real mess. So frustrating! I wish these companies would quit messing with the contents of their soaps so we could depend on a particular product of a particular brand. Thanks for updating us. If you try All without Oxi clean because it has less scent, let us know how you like it.

• kellet_vicky
    6 years ago

I am also WISK user. For over 40 years. Most people i talk to that love other detergents admit to have never trying it. I don’t know why. It is an OUTSTANDING place roduct. Out perfotmrms any others that i have tried. My husbands tidy whiteys are ALWAYS WHiiTE AND STAIN FREE, colors stay, no allergic reactions! No need for additives. I was worriedback in 2008, and now my almost worst nightmare ... i have run out of wisk. In the last 3months my whites have yellowed, had to add oxy then bleach a load. Colors have faded. Stains not being removed. Some even with pre treating! Added DAWN AND IT TOOK CARE OF SOME.. dont really know this is a good idea. So disappointed.... tired of being manipulated by those that make products they want us to have!

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kellet what water temp have you been using on the whites that have yellowed? What detergent?

• Joan Minton
    6 years ago
    I am very sad. Didn’t realize they weren’t making it anymore. I want it back! Persia is terrible
  • alexsus
    6 years ago

Joan Minton - It really is sad. It's too bad announcements of discontinued products aren't make public ahead of time so we could stock up. Now I worry about one of my other detergent products being discontinued before I have a time to stock up.

When you get a chance, read through the comments made earlier. Some of them include recommendations for a replacement and warnings about some detergents you probably won't want to use.

• HU-577631479
    5 years ago

I'm very sad to hear Wisk has been discontinued!!!!!!! My mother used it and got me on it,best ever for removing stains. I've tried other products but NONE can do what Wisk can! Please bring it back!

• alexsus
    5 years ago

HU-57763149 - As you can tell there are a lot of us who are unhappy about Wisk being discontinued. It has done so well for me for years. When I run out of what I have stored, I plan to read through the comments above to make a list of liquid detergents I will try out (not Persil). If you find a liquid detergent you like as well as Wisk, let us know.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

Just want to mention that the liquid ALL with OXI (it's unscented) available at Costco has performed very well for us. Better than the regular ALL Stainlifter pods. Perhaps this formulation has more surfactants than regular ALL liquid. LittleGreeny tried it and shared his good results with us. It might be a favorable replacement to liquid Wisk. It's a big commitment with the Costco size, but Costco has an excellent return policy if it doesn't live up to your expectations. I was fully prepared to exercise that return policy given the large size, but I'm keeping it.

ALL powder is also very good. Hope that helps.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A good while back another member here gifted me with a big container of ALL with OXI and ALL Stainlifters both pods. I really really like them. I than bought the ALL with OXI F&C liquid and like it also although its a bit sudsy in a front loader. Yep as per SEA SEA's recommendation...I agree. Try the ALL OXI OR ALL with Stainlifters.

Sea Sea the ALL with OXI F&C does indeed have more concentrated surfactants than the ALL Stainlifters. Thats one of the reasons they could add with OXI to the label. You will notice that liquid detergent that says with Oxi almost always has more concentrated surfactants and or enzymes.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

My MIL has used the ALL Plus F&C detergent from Costco for several years and she turned me on to it. I personally found it to be a very good detergent that is comparable to Tide F&G. I've had really good results and overall am very happy with its performance especially considering what a great deal it is when it's on sale for $10.99 for the 158 load bottle. Costco usually always has the ALL F&C in stock and every few months they have the regular scented version which smells wonderful.

Here are the ingredients:

I still haven't figured out the function of the enzyme catalase in the formula. A quick google reveals it decomposes hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. Many enzymes can work in both directions, so it's likely catalase can form hydrogen peroxide from water and oxygen. That probably explains how this formula is so fantastic at whitening without the addition of any bleach. I have not noticed any premature fading or wear and have gone through about 2/3 of my 158 load bottle. I plan to purchase it again.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

I forgot to mention that I agree with Sea Sea about ALL powder. It's an excellent detergent that is very low sudsing and very very clean rinsing. The only problem is it's a little hard to find.

• alexsus
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the recommendations on ALL.

• sparky823
    5 years ago

Jet.com has All powder 120 load for $17.92

This is the blue box version.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Jet also has the ALL F&C powder in a 40 load box for $4.68.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    5 years ago

greeny is a gem.

• misshayes1221
    5 years ago

Update...now both regular All and All with Oxi have changed to a terrible perfume/chemical smell.. well I guess that was too good to last. Now I am back to Original Tide. I am not sure it cleans great but we can all handle the scent in my family.

• SEA SEA
    5 years ago

ALL powder and liquid does come in unscented versions misshayes1221. I am getting liquid unscented ALL with Oxi at Costco. No unpleasant odors or perfumes to live with. We are liking it very much.

The detergent manufacturers are adding amazing (not in a good way) levels of fragrance to their formulations these days. Outside of powder Cheer, original Tide and ALL powder, I have to use unscented anymore.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

As I understand, "unscented" detergent may have some sort of fragrance ingredient to neutralize what would otherwise be an unpleasant chemical odor.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    5 years ago

dadoes, is that only when the word "unscented" is used on the bottle or box? Or are you also referring to "free," "clear," or "gentle" detergent also?

• jujufull
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think it was MamaP who told me to try Tide Ultra as a good replacement for Wisk Deep Clean, which has always done such an excellent job on my guys' work clothes/uniforms. Well, I've been looking for it and buying it -- when I can find it! It is also disappearing rapidly! I've found it at some grocery stores I don't usually frequent (except for BOGOs) because they are otherwise expensive.

I've also found it at Lowe's, but not Home Depot. I don't usually buy anything at those stores except appliances, but it occurred to me to check both places, as I was getting pretty desperate. So now I'm sort of stocked up for the future (although not as much as I'd like). I'll keep looking.

I wanted to say -- Tide Ultra cleans great! It's the only detergent I've found which is as tough on dirt and grease as Wisk Deep Clean. It is such a bummer that it's now so hard to find. I absolutely cannot understand why P&G is doing away with it.

Oh, I saw a Tide Heavy Duty detergent at Lowe's which I think might be new; I've never seen it before. But wow, it is sooooo expensive! I almost bought one out of sheer desperation until I saw the Tide Ultra. However, I realized after I had picked it up that the new Heavy Duty formula doesn't have the HE logo on it. So I doubt I'll ever buy it.

• HU-241718751
    5 years ago

I was so happy to see Wisk & even better Wisk Deep Clean Free & Pure!! Now they are gone forever. I convinced my husband to buy on line at first then I swiched to Persil for the detergent however my free & pure Wisk has droplets left. Sooo cherised because I could not convince my husband to buy a $70.00 on line container. Yes it works that good to pay that much! NOTHING has replaced Wisk Deep Clean Free & Pure. Two young men for sons with very active lifestyles can make some mean underarm stains. When I would throw out shirts & T’s in the past. .... not anymore when Wisk free & pure was around. Until today December 2018 when my husband said ok to my suggestion of now I will start to throw out those brown body oil stained t’s & shirts & buy new ones until SOMEONE... realizes quality needs to be repeated (the 2016 company who bought out Wisk)

• alexsus
    5 years ago

I hope Persil fails. It will teach the company a lesson. They had a good thing going when they bought Wisk but they dumped it. HU-241711875 read through the comments. Several have liked some of the All products. It's what I plan to try when I run out of Wisk. But the last person mentioned how much she likes Tide Ultra. I also use a Tide powder and like it. Since I have a 30 year old washing machine, I alternate between powder and liquid weekly.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Persil is the leading European detergent. If they fail in the US they are still a success in Europe.

I understand your disappointment at losing Wisk but Persil did what they did for business reasons.

I recently saw Wisk at Big Lots so if you have a Big Lots go check it out. Good Luck.

• alexsus
    5 years ago

mamapinky0 - I don't have any idea what Big Lots is. I live in a very small city (40,000) in the middle of Kansas. There are very few opportunities for shopping locally unless I make an hour drive to a bigger city.

Decisions made for business reasons sometimes fail. They might have been smarter to slowly raise the price for Wisk while also marketing Persil. They talked like Persil was an improved Wisk. Not so.... I wonder how popular Wisk as in Europe before it was discontinued. I assume it was sold in Europe.

I should be okay with Wisk for some time because I was able to stock up. When my supply is gone I'll deal with it then.

• krazynntreal
    5 years ago

Alexsus - to answer your question - Wisk lasted for all of about 3 years in Europe, in terms of availability in Europe, it was only launched in the U.K. (Lever Bros (now Unilever) is a British/Netherlands company).

if memory serves, Wisk launched in 1986 and gone by 1989. it just didn't perform well for most people. But saying this, detergent is formulated differently around the world for where it is sold (for different, water types, fabric types, stain types, machine types and washing habits not to mention scent preferences), so just because a product has the same name in different countries, doesn't mean it is necessarily the same

good example of this, UK Tide was a middle grade detergent (Ariel is our P&G top grade) Tide of course in US is top grade. Tide was discontinued in the UK in the late 70s

Persil, however, is of course the prized possession, having launched in 1907. However our Ariel (our other top grade detergent is just as good)

the U.K. is a bit of anomaly with Persil - ours is made by Unilever not Henkel though (U.K. has no Henkel detergents).

• kimfele
    5 years ago

The Arm & Hammer was terrible. It was watery and did not clean very well. I tried clean & clear All. I am not impressed, but it was better than the horrible Arm & Hammer Clean & Clear. I WANT WISK BACK NOW!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH :-(

• alexsus
    5 years ago

krazynntreal - what fascinating information about the history of, including the success (or lack of success), of Wisk and Persil in Europe, especially the U.K. Also interesting is the fact Persil is made by Unilever in the U.K. and that detergents are formulated differently around the world. Of course the latter makes perfect sense.

I really appreciate your comments about Wisk, Persil and detergents in general in the U.K. and Europe. It was all new information to me. Thanks for taking the time to share your information to the rest of us.

I assume you live somewhere in the U.K. My family and I visited England in 1953 when I was 11. I had my 11th birthday in Stratford on Avon in July. What a wonderful place to have a birthday. We had a wonderful time in England in addition to our tour of eight other European countries for two months. We (my parents and their seven children) toured in a VW bus we bought when we arrived in Europe. We loved our time in England and only wished we had more time so we could have visited Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

• alexsus
    5 years ago

kimfele - I'm glad you let us know about your experience with Arm & Hammer and All Clean & Clear. I don't know what I will try after I run out of Wisk but it definitely won't be Arm & Hammer after reading your review. I don't look forward to my time of trial and error sometime in the future. I'm sad too that Wisk is gone. :(

• HU-100342092
    5 years ago

You’re most welcome :)

yes in the UK - in NorthWest England. Where you visited was West Midlands- not a long way from Wales as a matter of fact.

glad and you enjoyed your visit, hopefully one day you get the chance to come back and explore Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

• Larisa Batchelor
    5 years ago

All free and clear odor relief works well. There has been rumors saying that all free and clear odor relief is the same as the all plus free and clear sold at Costco. This version of all does contain enzymes. Regular free and clear all and arm and hammer free don’t contain enzymes. I typically won’t buy any detergents without them as I find they just don’t perform well unless I add a ton of additives. Just cheaper for me to buy something with enzymes :)

• alexsus
    5 years ago

Thanks for your recommendation, Larisa Batchelor. When I run out of Wisk, All is one of the detergents I plan to try. It's been recommended by a couple others among the comments.

• HU-64702287
    5 years ago

That real stinks Wisk was the best detergent you could bye never had to buy spray and wash. Now I have to spend a lot more to get clean clothes!!!

• HU-373679450
    3 years ago

That is seriously a shame. We work with lot of machinery and Wisk is by far the best detergent to get grease and oil stains out of clothesèe

• dadoes
    3 years ago

I have one full bottle of Wisk and one half-full.

• elbits
    3 years ago

I'm a powder user here but a few years ago I purchased a bottle of Purex w/oxi liquid. I had a shirt with a stain and surprisingly, it removed the stain!

• HU-957868899
    3 years ago

My mother used Wisk and so did I. I wondered why I couldn't find it anymore and didn't realize until now that Persil replaced it. I usually buy whatever is on sale, but that will never again include Persil.

• HU-794870106
    3 years ago

I think you made a great mistake in discontinuing Wisk detergent. It was great on cleaning men's work clothes and others clothes as well. Sure wish you would reconsider brining Wish back on the market.

• HU-801686835
    3 years ago

Guess he doesn't care as to how many vintage ppl and younger he'll lose tried sun soap omg did I break out whisk was my go to mb if enuf ppl complain & stop buying anyother products he puts out then he may r er think. It. I dont get why they put out good quality stuff then they do away w it. So they dont mind talking big loss...karma! Give us back our WHISK...

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

HU....6835,

This is a corporate business decision on the part of Persil's parent company, as far as jettisoning Wisk liquid detergent in favor of liquid Persil. What we, the consumers think of that is irrelevant to them. To help you recover, the Kirkland brand liquid detergent sold at Costco is a similar functioning detergent to Wisk. I find it works better than liquid Wisk did, if that helps. You may like it very much. It comes in scented and unscented. I use the unscented variety often. I still miss powder Wisk very much, but I had to move on and find other detergents to fill that void. That was so long ago, most folks here won't even remember such a thing existed. :) But yes, I still miss it.

• beaglenc
    3 years ago

Sea Sea, I remember the powder. It's all I used. Before that, it was Fresh Start, by far the best I ever used. Wish it were still available.

• HU-643598069
    3 years ago

I loved WISK! It did a great job cleaning EVERYTHING! When I couldn't find it, I tried Persil when it first came out, and I was underwhelmed! Its' supposed to be guaranteed, but it was too much hassle to try to contact them, so when I finally used it all up, I switched to Era. I find it odd how many different laundry detergents are made by the same company though. Like Proctor and Gamble makes Tide, Cheer, Bold, Gain, Era and Dreft to name a few. It makes me what how many different formulas they actually use to make all of these detergents!

• Petey
    2 years ago

I grew up using Wisk...both my mother and grandmother used it. When I was in college, I used Wisk. When I eventually moved away from home as an adult, I continued to use Wisk! Will miss it!

• HU-591590781
    2 years ago

Why is the price on one bottle of WISK $64 or more?!! Seriously can not believe it is being used at that exorbitant price...

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

@HU-591590781 because it's been discountinued for years.

• HU-85207168
    last month

I know I'm a little late to this discussion... I miss Wisk! I didn't really miss it when it first left the stores but recently thought about it and realized my mom has been using Tide for years now. How did we never have a conversation about Wisk disappearing?! And my mom is older now and probably unable to even remember Wisk. 😢 It's sounds silly, but growing up is kinda hard. And sucky!

For the record, I use Tide with Downy now. I like it, but it is a "little" pricey now.

• HU-888277639
    3 days ago

Wisk was the best for stIns it took every stain out i miss i