Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kag426

Front Entrance Portico Re-Do: Quote too high?

kag426
8 years ago

Hello, I am the proud owner of a 95 year old home on a hill. As proud as I am, it is not without it's issues. For instance, after 95 years the front entrance steps have started to sink, taking with them the Portico/Pediment/Little Roof Thingy that goes over the door and rests on columns. The stairs are brick.

I requested a quote for replacement stairs (precast concrete) with footing (to prevent future sinkage) and a replacement pediment with columns and a drop light. I've read online similar jobs cost people anywhere from $2000-$5000. Imagine my surprise when my quote came back at $8,500.00 Is this a high quote or am I just out of touch with building costs? I wouldn't think a small triangle box and a couple of columns would be so expensive!

Comments (7)

• avamom2012
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My brick stoop with footings underneath cost several thousand. The GC proposed portico was super expensive but the design was not simple. I suggest you determine your design and get bids from reputable carpenters/GC. If its a large but simple design portico on top of large steps with footers and light, $8500 might be right. I'd check with more, and ensure if permits are needed. GL.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Pictures and area you are in may help as well. if a high COL area who knows. In general impossible to tell for sure without a lot more even then we still may not know.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Yeah pics would be nice. I have customers describe their projects to me and when I arrive it is always different. Hence the reason I don't do online quotes.

• kag426
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all. Sorry for the delayed response. I live in northern Massachusetts, about an hour north of Boston. The portico is about 5 feet wide. I requested a precast concrete step (figured this would be the cheapest) as my foundation is granite they mount them on cement slabs, no footings needed. Attached is the current portico...you'll notice the lovely sloping due to the stairs sinking. (Please excuse the hideous paint color...that is going as soon as I figure out the portico situation.)

I requested the rebuild to have two columns with picture frame molding, with an open vaulted ceiling design and a drop light.

Now I am thinking perhaps instead of the columns I will do brackets with a curved design to play off the "visors" over the window.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Hi again Kag426. I don't do business in your state, but 8500 for work done seems to be on the higher end....if the contractor is a high end contractor though (now days this just means somebody that cares about what they do) I would say it's fair. Anyone in the 5000 range seems to cheap to me. Just my opinion. I still catch myself double-taking glances at lumber prices, and I buy everyday.

• kag426
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is that what they're called? Brows? lol I never knew what to call them! I got the formal quote and it's now closer to the 10K mark. My Sister In Law's brother is a contractor and he's coming this weekend to evaluate the situation and will give me the family "discount" so we'll see what that turns out to be.