Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_397519985

Interesting (puzzling) structure on roof

dave whitman
17 days ago
last modified: 17 days ago

We're looking to go into contract on a home and on the roof over the dining room area there is this traingular-prism-shaped protuberance which seems to be made mainly of sheet metal, with one side apparently made of, or covered by, plastic. I'm at a loss, I thought maybe an old skylight (1970's-build home), but I couldn't figure out why it would be decomissioned and covered with sheet metal.

There is no sign of the structure on the roof from the dining room below, just bare ceiling. Thanks all for any info! I'm waiting to hear back from the seller, my realtor had no idea either.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    17 days ago

It might be an in-law suite, but I can't say for sure.

• klem1
    17 days ago

I don't have a clue what it is but it doesn't have flashing which anything on a roof should. Speaking of roof,something isn't right about the way shingles are installed. I'd have a roofer check roof before closing.

• millworkman
    17 days ago

I agree with klem1, those have the appearance of a single or a two tab roof shingle. How old is that roof? The roof to the left of this "stucture" looks odd. I would definitely have a reputable roofer in before I wnet to any contract on this house. In addition to figuring out what the "structure" was for, what is inside it and what is buried above the ceiling.

• Kendrah
    17 days ago

Raccoon motel? Something funky is going on with the ripple in the roof to the left of this structure. Check it out for sure.

• dave whitman
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Haha my first thought was I’d paint it bright red like Snoopy’s doghouse and take naps up there 😂 definitely going to have a roofer take a look

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    17 days ago

It's a solar device to heat water or air. You'll see some of the hardware with it in the attic.

dave whitman thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • cat_ky
    17 days ago

I agree about the roofing. Definitely have that checked and then do some negotiating. I would want that thing, removed, whatever it is. It is a bit on the ugly side.

• dave whitman
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Seems I certainly could have, however I’m not a contractor, roofer or a 1970’s solar water heater salesman and I certainly wouldn’t have noticed a few pipes from an old solar water heater and said, ”aha, it’s an old solar water heater!” So yeah, posting here to have the strange object identified would probably still have happened.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    16 days ago

If you do further investigation let us know what it turns out to be.

• dave whitman
    Original Author
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Why'd you delete your comment Stax? Your slack-jawed wisdom is the only thing keeping me going through this trying time of solar heater uncertainty :(

Oh and these delicious and affordable generic Pringles. They're outrageous.

• jane__ny
    11 days ago

Large bird house??