Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrseldoo

batting for hand quilting?

mrseldoo
15 years ago

I know this has popped up before, but of course I can't find it. What is the best batting for hand quilting? I normally use Warm and Natural , but wasn't sure that was right for this job.

I am normally a machine quilter, but I am planning on hand quilting my Baltimore Album quilt due to the large amount of hand applique.

-Jen

Comments (26)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I don't like to use it, but many hand quilters say that a polyester batting quilts like "buttah" as the thread goes through it.

I may use Thermore next time in a baby quilt and see how I like the draping of it. Here we don't need quilts for warmth so much.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

I usually use Hobbs 80/20 and have had no complants. I think that Thermore quilts beutifully also. Have hand quilted small quilts with that. If I were not concerned about the expence I think I would use wool on something special as I have heard that it hand quilts beautifully and would be worthy of all the work involved. I think one of the big considerations is that it not be too thick and has a nice hand. My $.02. Jayne

• cziga
    15 years ago

I'm currently trying the "new" Arctic Bamboo batting that I just picked up at our local quilt shop . . . it was recommended to me for both machine and hand quilting, and while I haven't gotten very far yet, I like it so far. It is very light (but seems like it would be warm at the same time), biodegradable/hypoallergenic and so far, seems to hand stitch quite easily :) All good things. It was more expensive than regular batting for me, but not by an excessive amount.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Warm and Natural 100% cotton is a bit dense for handquilting (which is probably why it's so popular with us machine quilters.) Hobbs battings tend to be lighter and I expect it would quilt easier.

Annie

• mrseldoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am also concerned about finding a batting that does not crinkle for this project...

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

By "crinkle" do you mean it won't shrink up in the wash? Then I would suggest you use a polyester batting. But I'm not sure how "cuddle-y" and draping around the body it would be if it is a crib/bed or lap quilt.

• petalpatsy
    15 years ago

Has anybody ever hand quilted with a carded wool bat? Cuz, that's what I got off Ebay...

• easystitches
    15 years ago

I just torn out a hand quilting project that I started a long time ago. It's a GFG & there are many seams. The biggest mistake I made was using Kona cotton on the back . My goal was to replace the backing but I'm also going to split the wool bat in half. it seems pretty thick to me even though it's soft and pliable. It was one of the 1st available & it's hobbs. So I'm not sure if there's a difference in wool bats & some are thicker than others?
    I'd like to try the thermore as well.
    I assume you won't have tons of seams with your BA so maybe the W & N will be fine. My advise is to be careful & not buy a backing that's too tightly woven or too heavy.

• mrseldoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This Baltimore album is going to be a wall hanging, so it will not be used other than for display.

Any particular polyester batting for hand quilting?

Thank you for the advice on the backing...I hadn't thought of that one!

• janice__indiana5
    15 years ago

I'm another fan of Hobbs 80/20 here, but I like the crinkled look.

I would love to have used a wool bat in the quilt I'm working on for my MIL, but I already had a lot $$$ tied up in it. When I started the quilt we had 2 at Purdue so cost was a factor.

Janice

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

I have hand quilted several quilts with wool batting...it's VERY nice to use, and I never use any other kind of batting, for quilts we plan to use ourselves.....warm, lightweight and easy to quilt...what more could you ask. Otherwise, I use Hobbs, or in the case of making a very thin, summer quilt, I used flannel fabric for batting.

• shirl_uk
    15 years ago

I was at a guild meeting last night and the speaker said her favourite for hand quilting was Mountain Mist Quilt Light.
    Or Hobbs wool but that was a bit pricey!!!

• carolek
    15 years ago

I used cotton at first, in the days of yore, but only Mountain Mist poly since then--Always hand quilting. It quilted easily. Personally, I dislike flat batt. I would like to try wool sometime, but probably not for a wall hanging Carole

• bluebars
    15 years ago

I used to love Mountain Mist Quilt Light (poly), because I like a thin, low loft batting for an antique look. But it has changed in recent years. The last one I bought, after I basted the quilt, it looked like popcorn, it was so puffed up. The company was sold some years ago, and the new company has different machinery. It is no longer the same product, just the same name, but much thicker, heavier, and MUCH puffier. I held an older piece and a new piece in each hand and the difference is very obvious.
    So I have gone to Quilter's Dream Request Cotton. The good old days of MMQL are gone.
    Bluebars

• calliope
    15 years ago

I use warm and natural cotton for hand quilting and find the resistance in hand needling is more with the types of fabric I use, than the cotton batting. I have used some poly batting just as difficult, because my needle wanted to catch in the fibre somehow when it didn't slip between the threading and poly doesn't 'give'. I'm very anxious to use a wool batt to see how it handles.

• juttz
    15 years ago

My first time at hand quilting was with warm and natural and since I didnt know any better I was struggling with it..I couldnt figure out why I couldnt get small stitches and my needle wouldnt go through the 3 layers very well...I thank all of the GW quilters for explaining the difference and now will try a different batting that is suggested here...Ive been away from the forum for awhile but sure do love all of you gals...Judy

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Remember that no matter what kind of batting you are using, you need to leave some slack on the section you are quilting to allow your needle to rock properly. I used to struggle with handquilting until I learned not to hoop the project so tightly.

Also, the fibers in cotton battings will loosen up a bit if you prewash and dry them. Contrary to the instructions on the bag, I soak my Warm and Natural in hot water in the washer (no agitation), spin it out a couple of times and then put it in the dryer on a medium setting for ten minutes at a time, repeating until it's dry. The batting is definitely softer after this treatment.

Be aware that it won't shrink when the quilt is washed, so if you like that crinkly, antique look that you get after washing a quilt with an un-shrunk batting, you won't get it now.

Annie

• carolek
    15 years ago

Easystitches, what is wrong with Kona cotton on the back?

Carole

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Kona cotton has a really tight weave, making it really, really hard to needle. So do most batiks--I love them for hand applique because you can get a really crisp edge, but they are murder to hand quilt.

Annie

• calliope
    15 years ago

I've noticed that too.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

All my handquilting friends agree that they love the look of batiks, but won't even attempt to handquilt them any more. It's just too much work.

Annie

• abcapple123
    15 years ago

Bluebars, I agree with you about MMQL. I am going to quit using it also. I haven't tried anything else, so all these posts are helpful. I have some leads now.

Kona cotton and batiks are difficult to hand quilt through. Kona cotton is one of the best fabrics around, but hand quilting through it is not easy at all.

• love2sew
    15 years ago

I am enjoying this thread even if it was posted before there are many new things added. I was a MMQB fan and really notice the quality was gone, now I know why..so sad. I like Warm & Natural 100% cotton for machine quilting and I prewash it like Annie does. I cannot hand quilt with it or W&N 80/20 and the poly beards badly.

Our LQS is now carrying Hobbs. I just did a quilt in Hobbs 100% cotton. The batting is very soft, so easy to quilt but very flat. We need warm quilts so I am going to try another, maybe the 80/20 you have suggested. She is also getting the bamboo batting in.

I don't enter competitions so I am starting to combine hand and machine quilting. I may hand quilt the blocks and machine quilt a border...just goes a bit faster...especially those feather patterns that I am having a bonding session with LOL!

I really want to do a wool batting but it would be for ME. I think you have to quilt every 3-4" but it is washable. I need warmth right now and it's only October.

Thanks for the thread
    Jean

• LorettaF
    15 years ago

I have used the Quilters Dream wool batting and it is very nice to handquilt through. However, the exposed parts around the edge shed little fibers till it looks like a herd of small animals has shed all over your room! LOL I also like the Quilter's Dream poly and QD cotton batting for handquilting. (Although any cheap poly batting is good for handquilting, too.)

• qcross
    15 years ago

I've heard reports that the Arctic brand cotton/poly beards when hand quilted. I've had no trouble at all with machine quilting it.
    Rebecca
    http://www.quilterscrossroads.com

• Suzi
    last year

Oh no! I used Kona cotton to make a Seminole patchwork quilt for my granddaughter and was hoping to hand quilt it! I have only hand quilted baby quilts up until this.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21