Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins8

Busy cutting and sewing squares

nannykins
2 months ago

I had a bin of strings staring at me for some time, so… I went through it and sorted. Anything smaller than 2” was trashed. (Don’t judge me but I don’t do crumbs and I don’t want to do another string quilt).

if the strip was 2”, I cut 2x5 bricks. Then from the wider strips I cut as many 2 1/2 squares as I could. I also found a smaller bin with squares already cut and patches being made. So, I now have enough squares to make at least five scrappy quilts.

Yesterday, I was going through another pile of bits and pieces and a lot went into the trash basket.

I was beginning to feel guilty but realized that whoever has to clean up after I am gone will be tossing everything.

This morning, I started sewing those squares. I have a picture of a scrappy 16 patch called Stepping Stones. It will help whittle that bin down.

And I have a collection of 2 1/2” strips ready for a Log Cabin.

Theresa

Comments (22)

• polardream
    2 months ago

Good for you, Theresa! I started doing that last week and have SOOO much more to go through! I have 2" squares/strips, and up every 1/2" to 5"! Unfortunately, I have only gone through reds/pinks/purples and started on blue! Needless to say, there are so many more colors to go through. I look forward to seeing what you finish.

Sue

nannykins thanked polardream
  • msmeow
    2 months ago

You go, Theresa! Good for you. I have to start packing the sewing room soon, and I really should do the same and toss the small pieces I won't ever use. Why pay the movers to move them and then throw them away? LOL

Donna

nannykins thanked msmeow
  • nannykins
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Here is the photo.

Theresa

• loisflan
    2 months ago

Theresa, that’s a great pattern for using any size squares. What do you make with the 2”x5” bricks? You shouldn’t feel guilty about throwing bits away. You are one of the most prolific quilters I know.

Sue, good for you for tackling that job. I did that many years ago, and it’s

time to do it again, although I’ve been pretty good about cutting up the scraps as I finish a quilt. I have a whole drawer of 1-1/2” squares that might get sent to the thrift shop. I’m starting to doubt that I will ever make that postage stamp quilt I once thought I would.

Donna, good luck with your move. I laughed at your “why pay the movers to move them and then throw them away.” I tried that reasoning with my husband during our last move. It didn’t work. 😜

nannykins thanked loisflan
  • nannykins
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

There are so many patterns for brick quilts that I thought I would keep some squares out of the landfill and try one. However, I think most call for slightly larger bricks. So if I ever (?) make something, I will call it Wrigley, because these bricks will be about the size of a stick of gum.

Theresa

• nannykins
    Original Author
    last month

Top is finished. Needs a verrry good pressing. Now to find some backing fabric.

Theresa

• Char
    last month

I went through all of my bits before we moved onto the boat. I only brought a bag of 2" squares from when I was playing around with that Scrap Magnet pattern from Bonjour Quilts. I may actually do something with them sometime.

Theresa, I wouldn't feel a bit guilty about tossing smaller scraps. I don't do crumbs either!

nannykins thanked Char
  • nannykins
    Original Author
    last month

Finished! By the time I get to the binding, I am so done with a quilt that I am not always as careful with it as I should be. .

Anyway, it is in the washer.

Theresa

• polardream
    last month

It turned out great, Theresa! One down ... how many to go???

Sue

nannykins thanked polardream
  • nannykins
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

So far, that is two for 2024!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    last month

Wow Theresa, that looks awesome! A lot of my fabric went to storage when we moved in with our daughter and her husband. I don't even know what it was....except for my blues. I know there had to be bins full of strips and squares.....who knows. It's ok....been over a year and it is what it is. Theresa, I always like to check out Wedding Dress Blue. I've made a lot of her patterns for scraps. https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/tutorials/

nannykins thanked geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
  • nannykins
    Original Author
    last month

So good to see you Sharon. I was just thinking yesterday how much I missed you. I hope you are well.

Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    last month

Thank you, Theresa. Been fighting covid and not able to do anything. Today I was able to get a quilt ready to send to Beverly to quilt for another Great-grandbaby due in August. I kept a pink big heart quilt I was able to put together and I have plans for a border if I can ever stay up long enough to at least get the fabric cut. That great-grandbaby is a girl due in May. I just found out another great-grand is due in Nov. I'm just hoping I live long enough to hold all these babies in real life. lol I'll try and show up more often.

nannykins thanked geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
  • msmeow
    last month

Hi, Sharon - it’s so good to hear from you! I’ve been missing you, too.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    last month

Hi Donna, I don't remember the last time I was around here but life has mostly been centered around DH for the last few months. He fell and broke his arm in a place that wasn't a good place for surgery so his arm was bound to his body for awhile then it was discovered the reason he fell was because his heart wasn't beating correctly and the blood wasn't getting to his legs. A pacemaker was next.....right by the break in his arm. It's been a trip, that's for sure. He's on the mend and the pacemaker is doing wonders for him. Then all 4 of us tested pos for covid. Daughter and I had it bad......doc says I'm still running a fever and still contagious. Sigh.........it's been almost 2 weeks. Are you moving to another place in Florida? It's hard to downsize , that's for sure.

• msmeow
    last month

Wow, Sharon - I'm so glad your DH is on the mend! Hope you are over covid soon. We are moving to Live Oak (near Lake City) in Suwannee county. We're looking forward to a small town pace of life!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    last month

Donna, you will be about 2 hours north of us. Looks like you're smack dab in the center of being able to go in any direction for a bigger town for whatever. Small town living has pros and cons. We were lucky with our neighbors here in Crystal River and now with daughter more rural than what we were. Only one neighbor.... with livestock....one got out and was looking in the window at us as if to say 'whatcha doin?' lol So funny. Peacocks running around and displaying their feathers. Life goes on. I hope you enjoy your new town and are still able to have a quilting area. Hugs......

• loisflan
    last month

Great scrappy quilt, Theresa. i know what you mean about getting a little careless near the end. You just want the darn thing done.

nannykins thanked loisflan
  • Char
    last month

Another nice finish, Theresa. I don't see where you weren't as careful as you should be, looks great!

Sharon sorry to hear about DH, glad he's on the upswing and you all recovered from covid. How many great grands will the addition in November make? That website you linked has some really cute patterns!

We are stuck for 5 days at Stanial Cay in Bahamas, some big winds heading our way soon...

nannykins thanked Char
  • geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    last month

Char, The November great-grandbaby will be number 20, Our first great-grand is 23 and her partner has 3 children. I decided the other day that I'll be counting them as great-great-grands. lol

• Char
    last month

Sharon, you could start your own village with a clan that big, lol! Great great grands is appropriate I think. And I thought I had a big family!

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County