Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
never_ending_gw

How much will 3' affect centering a sink?

never_ending
13 years ago

A question--

I would love to gain 3" to the right of my sink. If I change my SB from 36" to 33" I will gain a total 15" of counter and storage which will allow me a 27" drawer to the left of the sink, and a 15" set of drawers to the right with another 3" to be divided by each side. I'd love that 15" to become an 18" set of drawers by taking the total 3" gain and pushing the entire SB to the left. The problem is the SB is centered under a window thus the SB would then be 3" off center of the window stile.

Would that 3" matter that much if I mount the faucet off center but center to the stile, fooling the eye? Has anyone done this? I am thinking if the faucet is centered with the window, will the human eye be able to pick up a 3" difference?

Crazy little pic- the brown dot is the faucet centered with the stile:

Comments (17)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Ours is slightly off center (1/2" or so) under a center stile too---I forgot to tell the cabinetmaker we'd lost half an inch with the new plaster, so he built the toekick to the old size. I decided not to have him change it, though, because our faucet (wall-mount) is also half an inch off center in the same direction for unrelated reasons (stud in load-bearing wall was in the way; not okay to touch without modifying conditions of building permit, which I had no interest in doing). So the faucet will be centered over the sink, but both are a half inch off the center window stile. You can't tell at all unless you're looking for it. Three inches is a bit more, though---in our case that would be about the width of the center stile, so I think it would be more noticeable. But if it gets you more usable space, it might still be worth it.

Are you doing custom cabinets? If so, you could split the inches between the 27" and 15" cabinets and get slightly bigger cabinets on each side while keeping the sink centered. Also, check the sink you're getting and see what size base it needs---that might help make the decision, too.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I didn't know it until we demoed the kitchen but my old sink wasn't exactly centered. I think mine was more like 2 inches but it could have been three. I never noticed it.

Will your upper cabinets be equal on both sides of the sink? Will you have a window curtain? You can fool the eye a bit by where you hang your curtains. Centering your faucet to the window will help, too. Can you mock it up with boxes and cardboard? In my mind's eye, I think you can do it. In reality, depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.

• toomuchremodeling
    13 years ago

If your sink is 3" off center to the left, why not have a 15" cab to the right and a 30" to the left and center the sink perfectly?

I really think that not centering window/faucet/sink is really a bad idea unless there is some structural element that you cannot work around. 3" of extra drawer/counter is not enough to justify.

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

I'm a little confused as to whether you fit the 15 or 18 or niether with the 36.

to somewht answer your question 3 inches is noticable.

if you were talking 1 inch and centered the faucet, you might be fine.

not to confuse the issue or add another problem, but do you have a spacer off the wall on the left side?
    if not, you need it in order to comfortably be able to open the drawers and clear molding.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I did this and have never regretted it. It's an old kitchen with wonky dimensions to begin with, but folks never seem to notice the off-kilter sink until I point it out.

• skyedog
    13 years ago

My sink is almost 2" off center with the faucet centered on the window stile. The sink is a big/little bowl so there isn't anything for the eye to center on. You don't notice at all but my sink cannot be seen straight on, it is on a side wall in a small u-shaped layout.

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

Our old sink was not centered and the new one won't be either. It just doesn't work for our kitchen. So for us the cabinet layout was more important.

• ptyles
    13 years ago

Ours is not centered either. It would have totally changed the configuration of the cabinets on the wall and I just couldn't spare it. It doesn't bother me at all.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

If you have a single sink, consider placing the faucet toward the corner of the larger space.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Circus---love it !

• rosie
    13 years ago

Yes, your kitchen looks wonderful, Circus--it's its own person. :)

Neverending, I'd forgotten until now, but my sink is 1-1/2 inches to one side, with the faucet set directly below a window stile. My black cooktop is set into the counter about an inch off center in the space defined by my decorative white wood hood--the focal point of the kitchen. Forgot that too, and nobody else has ever seemed to notice either.

Better yet, though, I once lived in a home for over a year with the sink off center more than 3" and didn't notice it until the day we moved out. Boy, was I surprised--at myself because I spent a lot of time hanging around this forum in those days and walking around that room with a tape measure as I planned my kitchen-to-be.

If it otherwise makes good sense, I'd absolutely set the sink as you are considering. Oh, yeah--I did. :)

• never_ending
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love you guys...thanks!!! Circus your kitchen is perfect from any angle I see it! I'll really have to think on this since I have my heart set on sconces flanking my window, which may set the whole thing off, but then again I think it'll depend on placement like decorating a wall.

Eandhl- the sink will probably be double but either way I think your right, the faucet will break the the larger expanse.

LOL Rosie! You mean the tape measure is not a kitchen utensil??? =)

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Here is another off-center sink. In our case, the sink and faucet are both off-center. What IS centered, is the window in relation to the upper cabinets. The wall space between the window and the dishwasher/microwave cabinet to the left and the window to the wall cabinet to the right is the same.

Because we used 23 year-old used cabinets in our remodel, we had to fit them in as we could. I don't think it has bothered anybody that the sink is off-center.

• caffeinequeen
    13 years ago

Much to our surprise, our entire sink base cabinet came out 4 inches off center with the window due to an error in measurement and communication. We have a swanstone asymmetrical sink and it just happened that the sink divider lines up with the center of the window, The faucet if off by an inch. I don't even notice it anymore.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Never ending, Yes, I would do it again. Even though our cabs from GD were dirty and worn, they were well-built. I did sand down and re-stain all the doors and drawer fronts, and DH polyurethaned them. Jim, our carpenter, did put new red oak veneer on two cabinets where the sides and fronts were going to be seen more, and where they looked too worn for his standards. I paid $3600 for the kitchen full of cabs, $2000 to get them to Michigan, and $4000 for Jim to make three more for my space. Other than inconsistencies in my and DH's finish work, I don't think you can tell them from new.

I will never regret doing the work. If we had not done this, we would still have our old kitchen. If you can be creative and flexible in your design, and have someone in the family or a friend or a professional you know with some carpentry skills - go for it. We got our entire kitchen done - new ceiling, an added wall, a new skylight, all new LED lighting, new Marmoleum flooring... for about $17,000.

• never_ending
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I *think* 3" will be acceptable if I have to go that route and can't thank you all enough for posting pics that look just fine for balance and more than fine for design!

Nancy I am glad to hear you are happy. Your kitchen looks beautiful and very well thought out. I am in a good spot to use them if I need to and like you said flexibility is the key. I can't wait to finalize my layout so I can keep an eye peeled for a deal. I am lucky that my uncle will build whatever cabinets I need, but like you, I am not afraid to get to work if the quality is there and they fit my design. =) Thanks again!