Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeebee_gw

REALLY annoying pop-up on this forum - anyone else?

zeebee
13 years ago

I'm getting this really annoying pop-up on this forum. When I open a thread, the left-hand margin is filled with a long scrolly orange line like a vine that winds down the page. There are words (about pregnancy or a mom's forum?) entwined around the vine, and those words frequently overlap the far left-hand side of any thread's words. Also, the top third of any thread is shaded in gray.

It looks like an iVillage popup, the jerks.

My pop-up blocker is set on its highest setting and I'm still getting it this crap.

Anyone else? And how do I get rid of this nonsense?

TIA.

Comments (29)

• blueberryisland
    13 years ago

Yes! What is this annoying thing? It is on all the forums on this site, I think. I checked a couple of others - appliances, baths, etc - and it showed up. Anyone have any ideas how to great rid of it?

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Me too. And everytime you click anywhere, a new window for IVillage message boards pops up. I'm thinking the site has an issue and hoping the tech types will fix it soon.

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

Annoying! I tried another browser but it did not help. Hopefully they will get the message.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Me too. And I usually never get popups, so this one defeated all my popup blockers. Also, unlike most popups, there's no "x" to close it. I am going to report it to Tamara, the website manager. You can too. At the bottom of the Kitchens Forum page, there is a link (small lettering) called "Technical Problems". Click on that, and then there is a pull-down menu, and click on the one that says "Technical Question". We need a few people to do this, or I don't think they'll pay attention.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Periodically, a thread like this pops up :-)

The easiest way to get rid of them is to use Firefox plus the "Ad Block Plus" add-on instead of Internet Explorer.

I never see ads! Initially, you do have tell it what to block, but once you've done that, you're good to go! (All you have to do to tell it what to block is right click on an image and tell it to block it...very, very easy! After you do it to a few images, you get pretty much all variations and you won't have to do it again.)

• missstella
    13 years ago

In Internet Explorer I went to my Internet Options under Tools and listed iv.doubleclick.net as a restricted site and it went away. That doesn't appear to have upset anything else. Hope this is helpful.

• zeebee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

Akchicago, I reported the problem as you suggested. And Misstella, I just did what you suggested and it seems to have worked.

Beuhl, I've heard Firefox/Mozilla is better but I've had other problems with them...though, granted, not pop-up problems. IExplorer really sucks for that.

Right after my initial post, I started getting a cascading series of iVillage windows opening up everywhere, even when closed out my browser window. I think the restricted-site listing might have stopped that too.

Fingers crossed....

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Hey, it appears to be gone. Thanks Tamara!

• User
    13 years ago

Pop ups and scrolly ad down the side of some pages are gone! Thanks Tamara and everyone else who obviously fixed a PITA problem!

• carol_jk
    13 years ago

I got rid of these by installing Simple Adblock. I use Internet Explorer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Adblock

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Well, I wasn't having a problem before - I use Firefox - but I am now. I've getting a large ad for Penney's about every other page. It takes several seconds after clicking on the X for it to go away, too. I'm cussing Penney's the whole time. Wait, that's not fair. It's this site's stupid pop-up tricks that are giving Penney's a bad name. (Penney's are you listening?)

I'll try Adblock Plus again. Last time I did, though, it screwed up the format of other sites I visit. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen this time.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I've never had a problem w/Adblock Plus adversely affecting sites. Do you have the latest version of Firefox?

I don't see any ads at all.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I'm getting the JCPenney ad, too. REALLY makes me want to shop there NEVER AGAIN!!

In use Firefox, which says it 'prevented this site from opening a pop-up window.'

Here is a link that might be useful: JCPenney homepage/toll-free#/email

• christine1950
    13 years ago

I keep getting pops ups also, very very annoying. I will try some of the advice given. This is the only site it happens on for me :>(
    Christine

• kristine_2009
    13 years ago

I use Google Chrome for a browser. Have for a year and it works great. They have an adblock extension you can download. I don't see any ads with it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Yes, I have the latest version of Firefox, buehl. I update regularly. So far, no problems with other sites so perhaps whatever the issues were before, they have been resolved.

mamagoose, I'm with you. I hate in-your-face ads and by extension, the companies featured in the ads.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I have also been using Google Chrome which has been great for the no ad thing until the little i-Village pop up and the greatly annoying Penneys ads. I also saw the little scrolly thing that made it difficult to read the posts and had no 'x' to get rid of it. Thanks, Kristine_2009, for the link to Chrome's ad-block!

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

Soooo tired of that woman in the orange ad staring at me!!!!!!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Buehl...I am using adblocker now but now I can't post pictures...is there something I need to do to correct that issue?

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Well, damn. Ad Block Plus worked earlier today - at least I didn't see any pop ups earlier - but that blasted woman in orange is baaaaack!

I'm beginning to hate JC Penney's. Shoot the messenger, shoot the message.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

Add NoScript to your Mozilla Browser. I don't have AdBlock, just NoScript, and I NEVER see pop-ups.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, idrive65, but unless its application has changed, NoScript seriously screws up at least one of the websites I visit regularly. It chops off the navigation tool bar on the left. Very strange, especially since I know the host owner updates her website and forum software on a regular basis. It's definitely more current than the software GW uses.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Grrrrr, now I'm getting Penney's AND that blasted Duracell pop-up.

I sent a complaint and a request for help to Tamara. Also told her I am considering never shopping at Penney's again and for sure I'm never buying a Duracell battery again. Don't they know that you don't want to piss off potential customers? It'll always come back to bite you.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting how to block these awful persistant popups. I tried ignoring them as long as I could, to no avail.

I did not know about the ie tools restricted site. Thanks bmorepanic...I added all those sites.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Nice tips, bmore. Wonder if I can use that same technique with Firefox. Have to look into that.

Tamara responded to my complaint, stating that she had reported the problem this morning and a fix should be in place soon. She also told me that generally these types of ads should only appear once per session. If only they were that infrequent! I even had the Duracell ad show up on the message preview page and I've never seen an ad there before - not even when we were dealing with the underlined green word hyperlinks mess.

Oh, scratch that. I just noticed the Dove bleed-in ad from the right when I previewed my reply. At least it's not nearly as annoying as Duracell or Penney's ads.

I've seen the Penney's ad once so far today but no Duracell ad. I'm hoping they've gone away for good.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Flashblock (another add in) might help with firefox. The newer ads are flash based. It makes it so that nothing flash based happens automatically. Its got a whitelist to allow your favorite sites to work without interference.

• gillycat
    13 years ago

Firefox

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Vampiressm...I don't know what you're doing wrong, I have no problems posting pictures.

What photo hosting site do you use for your pictures? Photobucket? Webshots? Other?

Be sure you didn't block anything from your photo hosting site.