Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conn123_gw

Cabinet help...price per linear foot??

conn123
15 years ago

Hi,

I know this is an impossible question to answer but you guys have been great about all my previous hard to answer questions so I thought I'd give it a shot...what is a reasonable price for custom cabinets (white, glazed, solid wood, inset door) per linear foot? (Also should linear feet include both base and wall cabs or are these measured separately)? We are in southern CT area, not far from NY.

Any thoughts (even a very rough ballpark / range) would be huge help...Thanks in advance...

Comments (7)

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

I can't give you a price per linear foot, but for white painted inset cabinets, wall cabs to my 8 ft ceiling, I've gotten 2 quotes so far (and hope to get a 3rd on Wed) of $4600 & $5500. My kitchen has an L shape 11'1" x 7'9" and then one 32" cabinet by the fridge on another wall.

That's with maple cabinets, all wood, dove tailed drawers, etc.

I don't think anyone would give you a linear foot estimate - what if you're putting in drawers, doors, corner cabinets, etc? Its all different.

I'm in TN, by the way.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I designed a kitchen with custom inset Shaker doors in a painted finish, which is an upcharge. Three of the cabinets are glass doors which required matching interior finishes. The plan is U-shaped and 12' x 9'. The cost is $17,000. The company is Plain and Fancy and I am in the metropolitan Northeast.

• tnrandy
    15 years ago

melanie1422, I live in tn too and looking for cabinets. Where did you get your quotes?
    Thanks Randy

• travisalfrey
    15 years ago

As others have said linear foot pricing is useless. It all depends on what your kitchen has in it. I am a custom shop in NC and I price per job. I add up my labor and materials and then tack on my profit. I as well as a lot of custom shops don't have a price book to refer to like the box stores. Inset requires more labor but no more materials. We do a lot of inset jobs and the cost does not increase too much for the construction. This is where I eat the lunches of the box stores.

I suggest that you talk with the custom shops and tell them what you are looking for and a budget that you have in mind and see what they come up with. If someone gives me a 20k budget then I design to that number and then give options for over that number.

• Fori
    15 years ago

I'm in the SF bay area and almost ready to go with a custom cabinet guy. I have 17.5' on one wall and about 13' on another and my quote for painted maple (not glazed) is around $20k. This includes installation and some pretty odd sizes (including extra deep cabinets on one side) and some peculiar requests. Except for the hardware, there wasn't much of an upcharge for the extra deep cabinetry as uppers and lowers were still under a sheet of plywood in size.

I could do a lot cheaper (although not with the custom sizes) but I could sure spend more. I especially like that the company is local and measures and installs what they build. It somehow feels like the "right" people will be doing last minute modifications, should they be in order.

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

Just got another bid in, these are for "semi-custom" - $7350, inset with an ecru thermofoil finish.

I'm probably going to go with the $4600 guy, unless the guy coming out tomorrow can beat it. The $4600 guy is friends with a friend of mine, who told me I can probably talk the guy down to $4000. And I like his work the best.

I'll keep you posted as the rest of the estimates roll in. I have a group pricing out full-overlay instead of inset, and a couple of other guys who are supposed to be working something up.

I'd love to know what estimates in other places ended up!

I'm pricing these with four sets of drawers, a sink base, a corner, and coordinating uppers. One set of drawers is 15" deep. If I was pricing out doors instead, or no corner, it might be different. Just to give you an idea.