Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhcproject

Thoughts on making galley kitchen more open?

Gaia Aires
10 days ago
last modified: 10 days ago

Hello everyone, I've lived in my home for enough time now to have developed a few complaints about my living space and more particularly, the kitchen. I've added pics (click on the word) so you can see what I'm talking about.

THINGS I DISLIKE:

• The galley kitchen width-wise is so narrow. If you open the dishwasher and the fridge door at the same time, game over. If there are more than 2 people it can feel so claustrophobic. Would love to make it even 6" wider
  • I hate the cut out in the kitchen facing the living area. I wish it was just entirely open.
  • With the breakfast nook right off the kitchen, it feels so redundant to have the overhanging bar counter area especially since that space eats into the "hallway" behind the sofa.

IDEAS FOR CHANGES:

• Ideally, I'd get rid of the overhanging bar counter and use the space that overhang takes up to bump out that wall of the kitchen so there's more width space in the kitchen itself
  • I'd eliminate the wall cut-out and just make the whole thing open
  • Maybe extending cabinetry in the kitchen all the way to the ceiling to make it feel more expansive (and practically, get more storage)
  • Built-ins in the breakfast nook wall with a built-in bench to get more storage and retain seating space

Ultimate goal: make the kitchen feel open and airy

Any ideas/suggestions/changes to the floor plan or overall design to achieve this? Thank you!

Comments (31)

• Buehl
    10 days ago

Please post the pictures in the thread and not on some other site. Either update your original post or add them as a new post in this thread.

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@Buehl Updated post with the pics. Thanks!

• palimpsest
    10 days ago

What happens to the width of the family room if you make the kitchen wider? It may make no difference at all if you eliminate the bar counter area. But 6 inches or a foot added to the kitchen area may make for a slightly more comfortable kitchen without really adding any function to it, but make for a tighter family room with a possible circulation issue. Just something to think about.

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks @palimpsest. My thought is that if I were to get rid of the bar counter and have the kitchen stop at that, I'd be able to push it out by 6" or so and it would actually add some more space and flow around the living area because I wouldn't have bar stools jutting out. I just have no clue how expensive it'll be to shift it out.

• chispa
    10 days ago

I think your ideas sound good. You are talking about a total kitchen gut and remodel, so it won't be cheap.

Before you even start anything, you need to make sure that none of the cut-out walls are load bearing.

• blueskysunnyday
    10 days ago

How wide is your aisle now?

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@blueskysunnyday about 52" of walking space (not counting the 3ish inches of space underneath the lower cabinets)

• blueskysunnyday
    10 days ago

Wow, that sounds pretty spacious to me. How many people do you generally have in the kitchen when cooking is being done?

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@blueskysunnyday remeasured and it's 46" :-/

• dan1888
    10 days ago

I'd prioritize and update some. I don't think you need more aisle width. I would move the frig into the butler's pantry and create a wide work zone in that space next to an induction range with an exhaust hood. Next would be to widen the sink counter be making the whole width with the breakfast bar one level. The big question to opening that counter up is whether the end post is load bearing It'll cost more if it is load bearing. I think the open feel will be worth a couple thousand.. I'd reduce the sink to a single bowl in a 24" sink base moved to the right a few inches so you're not back-to-back with the range.

Gaia Aires thanked dan1888
  • Buehl
    10 days ago

What are the actual widths of each wall/door/doorway/window and the distances b/w each of them?

Measurements like this:

Could you also provide a sketch of the entire floor so we can see how traffic flows in, around, and through the Kitchen? [See the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread for more info.]

Can any walls come down? E.g., the walls b/w the Dining area and the Kitchen? You will need to determine if they are load-bearing, though. If load-bearing, there will be additional work as you will need to provide columns or other ways to carry the weight the walls are carrying right now.

Is this a Condo, Townhouse, or Detached House? I'm asking b/c if a Condo, you may be limited as to what changes you can make. If a Townhouse or Detached House, you will likely have a lot more flexibility.

• Jennifer Hogan
    10 days ago

4' wide aisle is not awful, but I prefer 5' or wider.

Is this what you had in mind?

I might bring a pony wall up 4" above the counter height so my sink wasn't fully in view from the FR.

And move the pantry to the Opt Entertainment Unit,

Gaia Aires thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hi @Buehl I've attached the stuff you've asked for (I don't have all the measurements). This is a townhome so everything inside is fair game.

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Jennifer Hogan, I love the layout you describe. If I were to do that, would you recommend the new pantry (old butler's pantry) be floor-to-ceiling cabinetry? If that's the case, do you think it would feel closed off given the butler's pantry space is already fairly small?

• Mrs Pete
    9 days ago

Thoughts:

- I'm with those who say, "It's wide enough". I've lived with a galley kitchen that was about 12-18" too wide, and the result was that the two sides didn't work together well. Everything was about one step too far apart. I really think if you open the space up visually, you'll find that your current dimensions actually work.

- How could you open the dishwasher and the fridge at the same time? They're on opposite ends of the kitchen.

- I agree that removing the cut-outs altogether would be a positive ... if it's possible. It'd allow more light through and would make the whole space look /feel larger.

- I agree that -- in a small townhouse -- three eating areas makes little sense; however, if you remove the barstools, that cabinet run may feel "too narrow". I'd consider making those cabinets 30" deep (standard cabinets are 30" deep) and having a slightly higher wall to block off the kitchen from view.

- I'd take the cabinets up to the ceiling. Especially in a small space, that'll look "calmer", more finished.

- I also like the idea of adding a wall of storage in the breakfast room. Could be all closed, all open or a mixture. Could have a counter top for coffee pot, etc. or could be just storage. I'd make it shallow though (to preserve space in the breakfast room).

- Definitely reverse the swing of the pantry door. It's hinged the wrong direction.

• dan1888
    9 days ago

I like the above idea and if you can move plumbing to do that I'd take it further. Move the powder room and butler's pantry all the way to the front. Then stxck the kitchen. This gives you a connection between the kitchen and the living space the above layout misses.

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hi @dan1888 I like the sound of what you're saying but I'm not able to visualize it. can you clarify?

• dan1888
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Sure. In Jennifer's layout above, flip the position of the kitchen and the powder room butler's pantry. The powder room is at the front with the middle window. Possibly delete the pantry for that section. The butler's pantry is at the left front corner. Moving back into the house is the galley kitchen. This is a preliminary positioning. A lot of options open up. One might be to put the frig, range anf sink on the outside wall inline. The island would be clear.

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@dan1888 Oh understood, thanks! That sounds like the ideal layout but unfortunately probably don't have the budget for such an extensive remodel.

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@Jen Hogan I agree... I have no clue why we have 3 separate dining options! It's way too redundant. I really love your reconfiguration of the space but unfortunately changes to that extent exceed our budget.

• Jennifer Hogan
    9 days ago

I get it. I am always trying to get the most for what I can afford to do. Struggling with a few reno decisions myself.

• Buehl
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Where do you bring in groceries? I don't see a front door or other entry. Do you enter the home downstairs? (The layout is labeled "Second Floor", so I assume it's downstairs.)

• Buehl
    9 days ago

Is the distance b/w the counters 52" or 46"? The layout shows 52". I'm asking b/c of the following that you posted above:

"...about 52" of walking space..."

and

"...remeasured and it's 46"..."

Is that measurement b/w the items sticking the farthest into the aisle (e.g., range's oven handle to the counter edge on the other side) or is it b/w cabinets or something else?

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Good question! the 46” is between the furthest sticking out things. the 52” is floor the width between the bottom of the cabinets (where some space is unusable because of cabinet overhang). And yes, the main entrances are on a different floor.

• blueskysunnyday
    9 days ago

I might extend the kitchen into the breakfast area, but maybe that space is the preferred eating area in the condo for reasons I don’t know. If you did that, maybe you could have an island if that is something you want.

• blueskysunnyday
    9 days ago

I might extend the kitchen into the breakfast area, but maybe that space is the preferred eating area in the condo for reasons I don’t know. If you did that, maybe you could have an island if that is something you want.

• dan1888
    9 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Gaia Aires . Yes some suggestions, including mine, will cost more. I don't give up an option until I carefully establish the cost. There are many ways to get to a better goal. Plus, you receive the benefits everyday going forward.

• Buehl
    9 days ago

Like Dan1888, when planning, I plan for what I want with the understanding that I will likely have to cut back somewhere. When you get the estimate/cost, then you can start looking at what to eliminate and what to keep.

When doing this, keep in mind what "goes together" and should be handled together (keep/eliminate/change). For example, in some layouts, a prep sink is key to making a layout work. If the prep sink is eliminated, then other changes may have to be made to make up for that elimination.

• Gaia Aires
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@dan1888 and @buehl thank you for your input! ive reached out to a local cabinetry place and our contractor to see what can be done. Is there a specific type of person you'd recommend to help nail the layout? Thx!

• dan1888
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

I'd continue by getting graph paper and take exact measurements of your space. Then start accurately drawing options to scale. I'd configure the powder room against the front wallwith a pocket door and a swing door options. The butler pantry space would get 12" deep pantry shelfs behind doors on the powder room wall. Could be used on the other wall or small appliance and counter. Using this setup you have a lot of space to work in lots of functions as well as the open connected concept. Oh boy.