Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2cohen

Show me your 'dark wood' kitchen!

mom2cohen
14 years ago

I need inspiration and ideas but almost everything I have seen here (while absolutely beautiful) is white!

We are doing dark espresso cabinets and I can't believe how difficult it is to find pictures of kitchens with cabinets this color! I would LOVE to see pictures of kitchens with dark cabinets....Thanks so much!!!

Comments (29)

• dmwbcc
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, I have found Finished Kitchen Blog to be helpful. I put the link below. You can search by different categories.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Blogs- Dark Wood

• megradek
    14 years ago

here's a 'darky' :) sorry I'm not in the FKB yet!

java stain on walnut....

butler's

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

My java stained maple cabinets just arrived yesterday and they are beautiful!! I'll post a pic in a day or so as they get installed-

• guppy_2009
    14 years ago

Mairin, beautiful!!!! I love my white kitchen but every now and them I need of fix of the dark sophisticated look that yours offers. Maybe in my next renovation project!!

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Mine are over on Starpooh's FKB. My cabs are dark cherry and one espresso stained cherry cab.
    Lynn
    {{gwi:1600827}}
    {{gwi:1596009}}

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here is a half-dark, half-light kitchen that I did for somebody..

The upper corresponds to BM Ballet White, and the lowers are a cherry stain on maple. We looked at dark countertops, but the quartzes we had available looked a little dead with the base cabinets.

You can also see we didn't follow the rules: counter height appliances are black, and the fridge is white. (A bisque fridge would have been perfect but she had this one.) All black or all stainless would have worked too, she preferred black over SS.

The range hood is under the cabinet in a liner. If I had been paying for it the glass would have been Starfire, so it didn't turn "green"--luckily it matches a paint color we used as an accent right outside the kitchen.

• bigkahuna
    14 years ago

Mairin, Very nice...great kitchen! Congrats

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Great kitchens, everyone. Mairin, looks HOT!

Palimpset...I plan on doing something similar. Thanks for the reference pic!

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Mine's on the FKB - also link on My Page.

• chiefneil
    14 years ago

Here's mine.

The pantry and fridge are one the left side of the room, you can see a bit of them here.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

These two almost made me change my mind about white cabinets. (Apparently I didn't want dark uppers, though ... never noticed how similar these are until putting them next to each other)

Here is a link that might be useful: HB brown kitchen

• chiefneil
    14 years ago

Here's mine.

The pantry and fridge are one the left side of the room, you can see a bit of them here.

• melis1251
    14 years ago

Chiefneil, I love your kitchen! It's gorgeous!
    Would you mind sharing the details? :)
    Are your cabinets cherry? What color stain?
    Also, what color is the paint on your walls?
    Thank you!

• chiefneil
    14 years ago

Sorry about the double-post, not sure how that happened!

Melis, the cabinets are alder in a dark stain called "merlot". The white tile is a tumbled marble. My design process was little rushed and I ended up with the back two sides of my island simply drywalled, so I tiled them to match the backsplash afterwards. It's a different look (haven't seen any other tiled islands posted on gweb) but I like the sense of solidity and architectural interest that it lends to the room.

I think the paint is dunn-edwards "champagne", floors are scabos travertine, hood is ventahood in copper, the ovens are dacor and have some copper on the handles, and the fridge is a 48" KA built-in. The pantry I also did after the fact. It was originally just drywall with a regular painted door. I removed the original door and frame and did the new framing/woodwork around the doorway myself, contracted out the stonework, and had the iron gate made by a local company.

Oh, the white granite is bianco romano (hard as nails), and the blue granite is azul bahia (which I don't recommend due to price and sensitivity to etching).

• melis1251
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing the info, you must really enjoy having such a beautiful kitchen! :)

• teresa518
    14 years ago

Here's mine. Not quite espresso but on the darker side. Good luck! I can't wait to see your choices and progress pics.

• redroze
    14 years ago

Our dark island and cabinetry are one of the best parts of our kitchen!! You've got good taste...espresso is so impressive looking in my humble opinion.

• saskgal
    14 years ago

Here is mine. Walnut stain on walnut. This is a cabinet reface.

• celticmoon
    14 years ago

23 year old oak cabinets and Almond corian tricked out with Java gel stain and new hardware:

• shelayne
    14 years ago

All these dark cabinet photos make me *sigh*. They look so rich, warm, and elegant.

Really, really beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

• lindalp
    14 years ago

I love all these gorgeous rich kitchens. I have dark Cabernet cabinets ordered. I'm going from all white to a very dark cherry color...I'm a little fearful. I've been searching for light granite that doesn't have too much brown in it. Any suggestions? "Redroze", what is the name of your granite? I really like how it looks in the photo.
    Thanks for all these wonderful photos, they are so inspiring.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Mom2cohen,
    I am probably guilty of posting pictures of white
    kitchens. I love all kitchens, and definitely have
    pictures of dark cabinets too.
    I hope these help. I do have more but I don't
    want to jam up the serveer. : )
    ~boxerpups

Studio Center

The Kitchen designer blog

Utah Kitchens

Tree Line Kitchens

Home Renovators (no can lights image)

K4 (google image)

Candace Olsen HGTV

Interior DeZine

P3

Syracuse

Santa Celcilia from Marble Corp image

Taditions kitchens 1

Interior Design Yourself

Above The Flood blog

Cococozy

House to home UK

Schildhause Kitchens

Own by Design

Luxury Modern Interior Decorating

All Star Kitchens

HGTV

Westchester Magazine Blue tiles backsplash

Gallery Int-9 google image

Dark cabs Bachelor Gulch Penthouse

ThomasVille Cabinets

White Oak Kitchens (google image)

Kitchens Ink KD

• redroze
    14 years ago

Lindalp - the granite is Bianco Antico. You can see more photos of it here.

• megradek
    14 years ago

lindalp: Redroze and I have the same granite - Bianco Antico. I just love it. Good luck in your search for the perfect stone!!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Here's mine, sans backsplash and new paint:

Here are some from my file. They are from various places, including the FKB, so maybe you have seen them before. My apologies to anyone I've "lifted" a photo from. It was only out of admiration!

• seattle_rain
    14 years ago

Oooh, I love the aqua subway tiles with the dark cabs!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

This thread was so inspirational to me! I am now able to post a picture of my kitchen to it... Thanks for sharing your ideas and kitchens. It helped me so much!

KA:)

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

chiefneil - Your pantry is very nice. If you are still around, do you know the color of the stone and manufacturer of the stone that was used?

We have a masonry chimney coming up from the basement that we want to finish off with stone and this is exactly the type we are looking for.

• Newbie08
    13 years ago

KitchenAddict

I love your kitchen. Do you mind sharing the materials used to get this look??

Thanks,