Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nlennick

Exterior Makeover Help Needed

nlennick
16 days ago

I’m in the process of selecting new siding and need help picking colors. I don’t dislike the current color pallet but this is my one chance to change anything on what is our forever home.

I like the brick front. The new windows will be likely be white frames with no muntins. The existing siding and stucco is going to be replaced with new siding. The roof was replaced within the past few years and is not changing.

I’m open to any color or design for siding, gutters, downspouts and trim. I can also repaint the front door, garage door and/or shutters. I’m in the northeast and most of the houses around here are neutrals. Lots of houses went with the dark blue trend and I think that’s already looking dated.

The contractor is also going to install flower boxes on the front windows. I was thinking of putting them on both 1st and 2nd floors. What color boxes would work here?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    16 days ago

Without photos , no one can help you.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

Post the pics here in a comment and wait until no longer grayed before submitting.

• ptreckel
    16 days ago

I suggest NO window boxes on your home. Watering them on the second floor will be a hassle and can lead to water damage and marking of your siding. The box bay style window on the first floor will be awkward to install a window box upon. Below it? Jutting out from it? Instead, I urge you to focus on landscaping to enrich the year round appearance of your home…four seasons, not just summer. Have you thought of a sage green for your siding?

• partim
    16 days ago

Flower boxes are the worst. I'm an enthusiastic gardener and find them way too much work to constantly water and fertilize, and even so the plants need constant (expensive) replacement to look acceptable, much less good. Messy too.

• Sigrid
    16 days ago

Yeah, I'm another gardener who says no to window boxes. They look great curated for a professional photo shoot. The rest of the time, they either look lousy or take a lot of work.

• palimpsest
    16 days ago

I can see a picture before I open the thread but it disappears.

• nlennick
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I don’t know why the picture isn’t showing up for some people. It showing for me fine but I’ll add it again here.

• nlennick
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@ptreckel I added several new native plants to the beds in the fall. They’re just starting to show now and will add 4 season interest to the beds once they’re established. If the siding was sage green what colors would you recommend for the gutters/trim/shutters/door?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Some visual with sage siding

• nlennick
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks for the visual. I don’t think sage is my color. Maybe white or blue?

• partim
    14 days ago

I love red brick with white siding and black trim.

• cat_ky
    13 days ago

I like what you have much better than the sage. Pick a color from the brick, so it all blends in a bit more. Whats on there now, and the sage, all show up like additions. I agree, no window boxes. I have had them, and way too much work to keep them looking decent.

• PRO
    lisedv
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Don't know what make of material you're looking at but one of the gemstone colours gives more drama to your house.

• Paul F.
    9 days ago