Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4bucks

furniture / photo alignment ? What’s my guide?

4bucks
11 days ago

oh wiser than me people, please help ! My dining room is open floor plan the facing wall is “shorter” than the others due to a slanted doorway.
The chandelier is centered according to the actual room dimensions.
Do I center my sideboard and mirror with the chandelier or with the length of the “short wall” ?
Do I place the table centered under the chandelier or align it with the sideboard and mirror?
I want to hang a picture on either side of the mirror but not sure what I should be using as my guide the actual wall length or the center of the room (chandelier placement ) ? TIA !

Comments (12)

• Lyn Nielson
    11 days ago

for starters, I'd spin the table and center everything on the light fixture., regardless of the wall width. and go from there... can you hang the mirror on the wall?

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks Lyn , hadn’t thought if that . I just tried it and it feel like the room is shifted to the left . Could just be that I need to get use to the change . I can hang the Mirror :-)

• Kendrah
    11 days ago

Lynn's suggestion was smart. Live with it for a few days and see how it feels. Might take some time to get used to. Adding a large floor plant to the right of the buffet near the corner might help balance out the empty feeling on the right.

• chispa
    11 days ago

In that last photo the rotated table looks way too close to the buffet? Photos can distort ... what is that actual distance?

• Lyn Nielson
    11 days ago

I'd put some drapery panels on the windows... extended beyond the window trim to soften the space and fill the void you feel. Plant on the window side of the table (where the natural light is) you don't need anything where the plant is now.

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Lynn’s layout is growing on me . I actually think I like it better but @chispa is right ! It is too close - only about a foot to the sideboard . I tried taking the leaf out and when the tables centered to the chandelier it’s still too close . I could slide the sideboard down . I could hang the mirror at the end of the table and my pictures above the sideboard . I so think curtains would be lovely . Does the sideboard to the side look silly ? The front door is on the other side of the bar cart so this opens right into our entry . Having a hard time figuring out how to configure it all ! Thanks for the suggestions ! They help a lot !

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I

• chispa
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I'm not loving your table and chairs together. Something is off with the colors and/or styles.

The rectangular table just doesn't fit properly in this irregular shaped room. I would mock up a large round table.

I have a 60" round table with no leaves and can fit 6 large chairs around it, and squeeze a 7th if necessary. A 60" (or larger) round table with a leaf would give you even more flexibility.

• S J
    10 days ago

The problem appears to be the dining set and console - neither of which are the best shape for your room, and the mirror appears "heavy" in the space. Are you willing to get a different dining table? I think something round, around 60" or larger if the room allows, would solve your problem and look great in the room. Once you have that in place, you can decide whether to center the cabinet with the wall or that table. You might try centering it, with one of the chairs on either side of it to "lengthen" the console to better fit the wall. Then, opt for a light, bright piece of art instead of the mirror and see how much better the room looks.

• chispa
    10 days ago

This was the breakfast area in my previous house. When we moved in I already had a rectangular table from the previous house to that one, which was much larger. You can see that the rectangular table was not a good fit. We sold the table/chairs and bought a round table that better fit the space.

Before: old rectangular table and chairs

After: new round table and chairs ( we also remodeled the kitchen, so new lighter counters!)

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks Lyn and Chispa! Wow! It's amazing the difference the round table made Chispa ! Thanks for sharing! Part of the problem is we move quite a bit. The table and chairs were $$$ and not that old and I don't see us staying in the this house for more than a few years. I do have a round table in our kitchen area so I'll trying switching them and see how it feels. Thanks so much!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

4bucks thanked BeverlyFLADeziner