Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_halphen84

What should I do with this brick fireplace?

Emily B
13 days ago

We just started renovations on this 60s ranch home and I'm trying to get a vision for the main living area. I just finished painting the wood paneling in SW Alabaster and I am loving how much it has brightened up the space but here are a few other things we plan to do to bring it all together:

- Paint the ceiling trim the same color as the walls to give the illusion of a taller ceiling

- light to medium toned hardwood, LVP, or laminate flooring - The floor you see in the photo is what was there before, we are in the process of pulling it up.

- add can lights and rework the ugly double ceiling fan situation (open to suggestions on that)

- refinish built ins to compliment whatever floor we choose

We also hope to one day raise the ceiling and get rid of the ceiling tiles, but that's just not in the budget right now.

The only thing I am stumped on is what to do with the fireplace. I usually love the contrast and texture that brick brings to an interior, but there is just something about this brick that I do not like at all. I want the brick to still look like brick so I'd like to avoid painting it if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• Yvonne Martin
    13 days ago

Wait until everything else is done before thinking about the fireplace.

• krissie55
    13 days ago

Cleaning the brick fireplace would be a start. Looks like there is a lot of smoke on it.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    13 days ago

IMO, don’t wait until everything is done! You want to include all aspects of the room in your plan. The fireplace can be an issue if you change up the ceiling.

• housegal200
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the flooring. Are those wood slats the flooring you're installing. Or is what looks like carpeting on the right what's there now?

Your furnishings, rugs, and art will effect how well the fireplace can be integrated. I personally like it. A large art work over the fireplace can make a huge difference in how the fireplace looks.

Leicester Court Residence · More Info

Mid Century Master Bedroom · More Info

"Spectrum In Gold & Black" by Rachel Springer, Canvas Print, 26x26" · More Info

• Emily B
    Original Author
    13 days ago

To clarify, there isn't carpet under the flooring we are pulling up. Its similar to linoleum but I'm honestly not sure what it is. The previous owner had laminate installed over it, which is what you see in part of the room. The laminate had a large amount of damage and I just generally didn't like it, so we are pulling it up to replace it with something else.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

I would probably whitewash the brick or paint it the same color as the walls. You can paint it yourself just use masonry paint and a primer. It’s not attractive brick. It’s not a crime to paint it. MRemove the doors and use a flat screen instead, much more attractive and easier to use.

• rockybird
    13 days ago

I agree with you. Maybe drywall or stucco over it in white so it matches the walls? But keep it modern looking, not bee hive. Or drywall over it and tile with a pretty color like sage green or even just white. Fireclay has some pretty bick-like tiles.

• housegal200
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Thanks for the clarification about the flooring. In the sixties, midcentury ranches were still popular it wasn't unusual to have that kind of fireplace.You have some big decisions to make about the flooring. Make sure to tie it into the wood trim you have and any other "givens" like cabinetry that's in view of the space. Hope you go for wood flooring. Try to avoid the trendy gray driftwood thing that's on it's way out--often so dreary. Bring out the warmth of the trim in your floor choice so they echo each other.

• Boxerpal
    13 days ago

This is going to be a lovely space. Great idea to remove that old flooring and put in your new wood flooring. Or is that LVP or Engineered Hardwood? It will give a fresh feel to the space and new floors are always a great way to start.

The fireplace might be toned down if it whitewashed or painted. Before you do this, you need to really dislike it because once you go white wash or paint,, it can be expensive to go back. And maybe it could work. Can you take a close up photo of it? There are some browns that might work if you decide to keep it after cleaning it.

Is that a kitchen cabinet in gray on the right side of the photo? Could you paint the built ins a similar gray color? Or even the fireplace? Are you keeping the chair? Just want an idea of how the space will look.

Here is a white wash similar fireplace.

Whitewash Fireplace · More Info

You could paint it gray and remove the mantle

Sunnyland Residence · More Info

I painted mine Navy Polo Blue by BM and I have no regrets. My brick was loud before.

Before photo... You can see below it was ugly with the saltillo tile too.

We painted ours navy blue and put in built ins.

more ideas for you...

A Collection of RP Favorites · More Info

Completed Projects · More Info

maybe have a carpentar build a mantel around the fireplace.

New York Transformation · More Info

Chastain Park · More Info

Memorial Full House Remodel · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

This is my 1957 MCM ranch LR botice the huge FP that honestly I thought I might cover in concrete to begin with. Now it is my fave part of the sapce it also is the back wall for my range in the kitchen I love the rugged stone next to all our very contemporary stuff.I guess what I am saying is wait to deal with the FP it might not need much other than cleaning . I scrubbed ours with TSP rubber gloves and a scarub brush , it made a huge difference in how it looked